FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow [UK] – 26 October & 2 November 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1903923-ft-ba-flight-simulator-outing-heathrow-uk-26-october-2-november-2018-a.html)

KARFA Apr 14, 2018 8:49 am

FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow [UK] – 26 October & 2 November 2018

Back again, FT outing to the BA simulators later this year. This will be a repeat of the outings I have previously organised in 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017.

A bit of background on my own experience so far. I am very enthusiastic/geeky about flying, and I know a few others on here enjoy what happens in the cockpit as well as just being sat in the back enjoying the champagne.

I have one hour in a Cessna 172 which I did in 2013, and which you can read about here, and since then a few hours in various PA28 aircraft. I do plan to go for a PPL at some stage, but money and time needed mean it won’t be for at least a year or two yet.

I have also been for a couple of Emirates sim sessions at their Aviation Experience near the O2 arena in London. This is very much at the more fun end of simulators. The only things that work on the cockpit are the throttle (inc. reversers), yoke/side stick, rudders, foot brakes, and gear. The primary and navigation displays work but you can't adjust anything on them. They have recently upgraded them so the speedbrake lever and a flaps lever work as well. All the buttons shown are just graphics, there are no working buttons. So basically it does feel like a very sophisticated home simulator, kind of FSX but sat in a simplified cockpit. It is not equivalent to a full simulator, and there is no motion. However, if you accept these limitations it is actually very enjoyable.

I also went to Virtual Aerospace near Northampton in February 2014 on their 737 simulator. This is basically a fully workable fixed base cockpit with fsx graphics projected in front. More absorbing and real than the Emirates experience, but still not a full motion or fully wrap-around graphics. I have also previously gone to the 737 iPILOT simulator near Edgware Road in London.

Finally over the last few years I have been going fairly regularly to a fixed base 737-800 simulator near Rochdale. The simulator is this one Flightdeck Experience. As well as the cockpit the guy who owns it has built a cabin as well with 12 seats. You can see photos on the website. You actually get a simulated view from the windows as well. It makes it good for group outings and you can sit in the cabin for the time you are not flying in the cockpit.

I realise we have a wide spectrum of experience on these things, but hopefully it would work. You should certainly not feel you need any experience to come, and in previous years people with no experience have come and enjoyed it.

Please only express an interest if you can make at least one of the dates and are prepared to meet your share of the cost. I realise this is not a cheap activity, but having done it twice now I can say that it is very much worth it.

Rather than doing this as a poll, please just post any date preferences in the thread. I expect we will settle on a specific date in the next month or so, and I hope we have finalised plans by early May. Please say whether you could make 26 October or 2 November or both (don’t worry you are not committing to both dates). Also please let me know whether you have a preference for a 777 or a 747 or don’t mind either.

florens Apr 14, 2018 9:07 am

Thanks for organising again! I can only attend on 26th October. I prefer the 777.

nick.t.davies Apr 14, 2018 9:08 am

I’m definitely keen for this. I can do either date and would be happy with either type.

I would also be happy to be in a group of 3.

DeadManFlying Apr 14, 2018 9:09 am

KARFA

I'd be interested in attending this year please, the 2nd of November is the only date that works for me and I'd like a go in the 747-400 simulator please before they retire from the field.

Thanks

DMF

RGS5526 Apr 14, 2018 9:16 am

As he is based in Leeds, I am surprised that Karfa does not mention the organisation near Harrogate that that runs a 737 simulator (and also an F-111 simulator).

The 737 simulator has hydraulic motion and good but not brilliant visuals.

GeorgeAmbler89 Apr 14, 2018 11:30 am

I’d like to come again this year please with 2 guests (3 people in total) in a group of 4 on 777. We can only do 2nd November.
I’ve also asked a couple of other friends to try and make up our own group of 4, I will keep you posted on this.Thanks

flylikelinz Apr 14, 2018 11:53 am

2nd November for me! this time the 747 please :)

Fontana Apr 14, 2018 1:44 pm

KARFA - Assume A320, A380 or the B787 are not available?

allturnleft Apr 14, 2018 4:21 pm

Thanks for organizing this Karfa
Do you get a special group deal?

KARFA Apr 15, 2018 2:48 am

Originally Posted by linzbh (Post 29640125)
2nd November for me! this time the 747 please :)

Originally Posted by GeorgeAmbler89 (Post 29640058)
I’d like to come again this year please with 2 guests (3 people in total) in a group of 4 on 777. We can only do 2nd November.
I’ve also asked a couple of other friends to try and make up our own group of 4, I will keep you posted on this.Thanks

Originally Posted by DeadManFlying (Post 29639678)
KARFA

I'd be interested in attending this year please, the 2nd of November is the only date that works for me and I'd like a go in the 747-400 simulator please before they retire from the field.

Thanks

DMF

Originally Posted by nick.t.davies (Post 29639674)
I’m definitely keen for this. I can do either date and would be happy with either type.

I would also be happy to be in a group of 3.

Originally Posted by florens (Post 29639673)
Thanks for organising again! I can only attend on 26th October. I prefer the 777.

Thanks all. I have noted dates and preferences. 777 isn't guaranteed unfortunately as they are being heavily used atm so I can't promise we will get one. However, if we do I will do my best to ensure everyone gets their preference. At the end of the day the 747 is a fantastic aircraft to fly too.

KARFA Apr 15, 2018 2:58 am

Originally Posted by RGS5526 (Post 29639690)
As he is based in Leeds, I am surprised that Karfa does not mention the organisation near Harrogate that that runs a 737 simulator (and also an F-111 simulator).

The 737 simulator has hydraulic motion and good but not brilliant visuals.

Thanks RGS5526. I have seen that one before but never tried it for some reason. Having looked at the website again I think it's a 737 classic so lots of dials which I don't like very much.

Originally Posted by Fontana (Post 29640395)
KARFA - Assume A320, A380 or the B787 are not available?

No chance unfortunately. Only the 747 and 777 are available to the public.

Originally Posted by allturnleft (Post 29640768)
Thanks for organizing this Karfa
Do you get a special group deal?

Our price is certainly cheaper than the price for the public on the website. Based on 4 in the simulator we are paying £425 per person, the website price is £449. Also we usually get shown around the cabin safety training section on the way to or from the sims (you may have seen photos of that in previous years). And I think that you have the added advantage of being in a group and being in the sim for nearly 4 hours rather than just being in an out in 1 hour - obviously in either case the amount of time you would have flying yourself would be the same.

GeorgeAmbler89 Apr 15, 2018 3:22 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 29641889)
Thanks all. I have noted dates and preferences. 777 isn't guaranteed unfortunately as they are being heavily used atm so I can't promise we will get one. However, if we do I will do my best to ensure everyone gets their preference. At the end of the day the 747 is a fantastic aircraft to fly too.

Thanks @KARFA - I’ll let you know if I manage to get a fourth person ASAP. No worries about the 777, the 747 was also great last year!

Thanks

GeorgeAmbler89 Apr 15, 2018 3:31 am

Hi again KARFA

My father in law now wants to join us so we can make up a group of 4.

Thanks

KARFA Apr 15, 2018 4:03 am

Originally Posted by GeorgeAmbler89 (Post 29641972)
Hi again KARFA

My father in law now wants to join us so we can make up a group of 4.

Thanks

Thanks for letting me know GeorgeAmbler89.

flatlander Apr 15, 2018 5:33 am

I would like to come, I have a definite (but not absolute) preference for the 747, and I can do either date.

I would also like to bring along a work colleague, not an FT person but an aircraft enthusiast none the less. He's reliable in the matters of payment and attendance.

KARFA Apr 15, 2018 7:10 am

Originally Posted by flatlander (Post 29642176)
I would like to come, I have a definite (but not absolute) preference for the 747, and I can do either date.

I would also like to bring along a work colleague, not an FT person but an aircraft enthusiast none the less. He's reliable in the matters of payment and attendance.

Thanks flatlander. Any preference on a group of 3 or 4?

MotheatenHound Apr 15, 2018 8:24 am

I'd love to join you, either date, either type.

teledude Apr 15, 2018 8:59 am

2nd of November for me + 1 pls :)

tedcruz Apr 15, 2018 9:23 am

Any chance of it being earlier? Can't do so late on a Friday....

KARFA Apr 15, 2018 10:52 am

Originally Posted by MotheatenHound (Post 29642523)
I'd love to join you, either date, either type.

Originally Posted by teledude (Post 29642611)
2nd of November for me + 1 pls :)

Thnaks, noted.

Originally Posted by tedcruz (Post 29642693)
Any chance of it being earlier? Can't do so late on a Friday....

Unfortunately not. It has always been late to give me a chance to get down from work.

Joe Public Apr 15, 2018 1:37 pm

Thanks for organising. Please count me in too.
Either date, either type fine.

florian Apr 15, 2018 2:28 pm

Thanks or organising! I'd be keen to join too. Happy with either date and either plane.

pilotngb Apr 15, 2018 3:56 pm

Hello,

I'm in. Either date and either aircraft. Ideally I can join a group that has already flown in the sim in order to cut out that first circuit to get familiar with the sim.

First time for me last year and I have to admit I was nervous attending the event. What a blast. Highly recommend it for anyone sitting on the fence.

Thanks,
Neil

BoeBus Apr 15, 2018 4:45 pm

Hi KARFA!

So excited that this is on again for another year! I can do either date and either sim. I'm off to collect avgeeks to come along, will probably go for 4 people/slots as last year

flatlander Apr 16, 2018 4:33 am

Originally Posted by flatlander (Post 29642176)

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 29642339)
Thanks flatlander. Any preference on a group of 3 or 4?

So, the colleague is Ralf and he has some glider flying experience, fixed base sim experience, and a lot of time on MS Flight Sim.

We would both much prefer:
Group of 3 (at increased cost, of course),
747 sim,

and somewhat prefer date in November if possible.

Thanks again for volunteering to organise this.

(Note to everyone else: do not back out at the last moment, it really screws things up for KARFA and the deal we get with BAFT)

flatlander Apr 16, 2018 4:36 am

Hotel - HGI again?

I intend to stay in the Hilton Garden Inn again, and propose it as the bar to gather in afterwards.

(Note to first-timers: booze after flight, not before)

florens Apr 16, 2018 9:35 am

Originally Posted by flatlander (Post 29645424)
I intend to stay in the Hilton Garden Inn again, and propose it as the bar to gather in afterwards.

(Note to first-timers: booze after flight, not before)

Same here!

Soddon Apr 18, 2018 6:34 am

Hey guys, I am back and interested again for round 2 of this. As part of some nested itineraries I have a flight to ARN booked over the weekend of October 26th, so that would be the ideal weekend for me. That being said,I can change that flight if need be.

My preference is for the 747, but I really don't mind either.

-Andy

bhbloke Apr 18, 2018 6:44 am

I'd love to join again this year, flexible on sim type, group size and date (although with a slight leaning to the October date) ^

djwam Apr 21, 2018 8:23 am

Hi, would like to join, available for the November date, with a preference for the 747. That's my birthday present !

Kungpo Apr 22, 2018 8:22 am

I'm in. Either date is fine and happy with either 777 or 747. Fantastic night out so well worth it if anyone is on the fence. Karfa is a superb organiser.

KARFA Apr 22, 2018 8:36 am

Thanks for the last few posts. I need to update my offline spreadsheet which I’ll do this evening.

france77 Apr 22, 2018 11:35 am

Either dates. 747 please

memesweeper Apr 22, 2018 4:20 pm

I did this last year — a birthday gift! If anyone reading is in two minds I’d recommend going for it! Brilliant couple of hours ... thanks @KARFA

headinclouds Apr 23, 2018 6:07 pm

I'm interested, either date is OK. Prefer to try the 777, the 747 last year was too much to handle for me.

DeadManFlying May 28, 2018 6:03 am

KARFA

Can you ask to land at a different airport? I'd like to try SFO

DMF

flatlander May 28, 2018 6:15 am

You can fly the sim anywhere that's in the database. Some locations have better graphics than others. The locations on the BA-oriented sims are BA's route network and some other major airports, the locations on the more third-party oriented sims are most of BA's network and other major airports.

Personally I have taken the sims to LHR, LAX, FNC, INN, HKG and others. I would be very surprised if the sims did not have SFO in them too.

Usually the way it works out is that the group in the sim discusses what they would like, by each putting in requests (eg, "I'd like to land at SFO", "I'd like to try an engine failure on takeoff, go around and approach", "I'd like to try a cat II visiblity landing") and the BA FO who's herding the cats and setting up the sim will try to make sure everyone gets what they want. For takeoff the sim is typically positioned at the runway threshold or nearby, and you taxi onto the runway and follow the standard departure route or do a circuit, for landing either you're doing a circuit from takeoff or the sim is positioned a few miles away on a standard approach and you then follow the approach to land.

"Position" in this sense means that the sim changes its internal idea of where the aircraft is and then acts like it just appeared at that location. The visuals go grey, then clear to show the California coast with SFO ahead (or whatever you want), and the aircraft starts off in a nice cruise at 20000 ft or something like that.

headinclouds May 29, 2018 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by DeadManFlying (Post 29801434)
KARFA

Can you ask to land at a different airport? I'd like to try SFO

DMF

I did the SFO take off and landing circuit for SFO last year. The FO would NOT let me fly under the golden gate bridge :(

florens Jun 28, 2018 10:50 pm

I am sorry but I can no longer commit due to changed travel plans. Next year!

Pascoe Jun 28, 2018 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by headinclouds (Post 29805814)
I did the SFO take off and landing circuit for SFO last year. The FO would NOT let me fly under the golden gate bridge :(

How the hell are you meant to safely do it for real if you can't practice it??????:) :) :)