Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow [UK] – 26 October & 2 November 2018

Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA

It’s back again! Simulator choice this year is 747 and 777, but no one will be forced to fly on something they don’t want though, and I would imagine the 747 is the one most want (and should try).

Previous Trip Reports for the 747-400 Simulators
Cost
Each simulator holds 4 people and one instructor. The total cost of a 4 hour session in one simulator would be Ł1,700 (this is cheaper than BA offer to the public), and this would give around 55-60 minutes of time per person on the controls – although we would rotate during the session so this would be split in to a number of smaller time chunks. Please note that the prices on the BAFT website are quoted as Ł1,700 excluding VAT per simulator, but we have been offered them for a price of Ł1,700, including VAT.

As we are charged per simulator generally a group in multiples of 4 would be ideal, with cost per person being Ł425. If we only had three people for example we would still have to pay Ł1,700 so the cost per person increases to Ł567 per person, although we would each get a bit more time at the controls. If we end up with 5 though it may well make sense to go to 1 simulator to reduce the cost and have say 45/50 minutes each per simulator.

Basically once we confirm numbers we can make a choice if we don't have a multiple of 4, although a multiple of 4 would be ideal.

Payment
Once the date is confirmed and booked each person would pay their share directly to BAFT, this is likely to be around September or early October when payment is due. It would be non-refundable so if you don't show you would unfortunately not get your money back, but this stops those that do show all of a sudden having to cover any no-show's share. If you do commit and pay and find in a few months you can't make it one option may be to see if a friend, work colleague, or other FT'er can come and take your place and they can pay you directly for your share which you have already paid to BAFT.

I will ensure that we are absolutely not going to be in a situation on the day where I am asking those that have come along to dip in to their pockets to cover any additional cost. Sorry this seems a bit harsh, but I don't think anyone wants to turn up finding instead of Ł3,400 divided by 8 it is suddenly only divided by 6.

Dates & Times
Unfortunately weekends are not possible for a group booking, so the options are weekdays. My own preference would be a Friday and probably 1900-2300 as (coming from the regions) I would only need to take half a day off work and wouldn't have to worry about getting back for working the next day. For those in London or around the South East you could come in the evening and there would be no need for any holiday being used.

If we booked for a date more than 3 months in advance we can hopefully get our choice of date & time. I have already confirmed with BA that the dates offered below are available.

The dates being offered are:
  • Friday 26 October 1900-2300
  • Friday 2 November 1900-2300

The simulators are all now at the new Engineering Base at Heathrow near Hatton Cross tube station - they used to be at Cranebank which is where we went in 2014, but they were moved last year and our 2015-2017 visits were at the new facility. More details here.

As this is part of a secure area you would need a passport or other photo ID to enter.

Threads from previous years:
October 2014 -> FT Flight Simulator Outing to BAFT Cranebank and Trip Report here
October 2015 -> FT 747-400 Flight Simulator Outing to BAFT Heathrow
October 2016 -> FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow
October 2017 -> FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow
Print Wikipost

FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow [UK] – 26 October & 2 November 2018

Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:53 am

KARFA always organises an excellent sim trip. Sadly I will be sitting by the pool in Krabi with a coloured drink with an umbrella in it whilst you lot are slaving away in the torture box. I hope you all find it both enjoyable and informative.^
Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kungpo
Excellent. Hotel booked so I can enjoy a few after sim beers with all of you.
I hope at least the beers are not simulated!
Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by nick.t.davies
I hope at least the beers are not simulated!
That would be KARFA's round.
nick.t.davies likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rapidex
KARFA always organises an excellent sim trip. Sadly I will be sitting by the pool in Krabi with a coloured drink with an umbrella in it whilst you lot are slaving away in the torture box. I hope you all find it both enjoyable and informative.^
Thanks. I think I have gained more grey hairs in the last two days!

To those I have been bombarding with messages/PMs/email over the last 48 hours, thank you very much for your patience and showing some flexibility at this late stage, I am very grateful.

I have managed to rejig things now for 26 October. The changes are there is now a group of three of me and flatlander and his friend so that would be Ł566.67 each in that group raather than Ł425. Also nick.t.davies is kindly agreeing to move to the 777 group.

No changes to 2 November.

Everyone should have an email or PM now with payment instructions and information for the evening itself.

Friday 26 October

747 (Group 1 - group of three)
@flatlander
flatlander+1
@KARFA

747 (Group 2)
@Weary Nomad
@Soddon
@flylikelinz
@pilotngb

777 (Group 3)
@Joe Public
@Kungpo
@nick.t.davies
@bhbloke

Friday 2 November

747 (Group 1 - group of three)
@BoeBus
BoeBus+1
BoeBus+2

747 (Group 2)
@GeorgeAmbler89
GeorgeAmbler89+1
GeorgeAmbler89+2
GeorgeAmbler89+3

747 (Group 3)
@DeadManFlying
@Pascoe
@KARFA
@djwam
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
Thanks for all the work organising it KARFA. Looking forward to it next week.
KARFA likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:32 am

Thanks again @KARFA

Rang up and paid for myself and one guest this morning (got hold of Andy on the first try!) and my other two guests should also be paying today

See you you in a few weeks, we will park in the hotel and meet in the bar before hand, want to make sure we get there early to miss the M25 traffic

George

KARFA likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, AA EXP
Got a hold of Andy today. Remembered me as the PITA from the USA from last year. I am appropriately paid.
KARFA and S_W_S like this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Soddon
Got a hold of Andy today. Remembered me as the PITA from the USA from last year. I am appropriately paid.
I remember well, try not to veer onto the grass this time (though I won't be there!).
Old Oct 18, 2018, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GeorgeAmbler89
Thanks again @KARFA

Rang up and paid for myself and one guest this morning (got hold of Andy on the first try!) and my other two guests should also be paying today

See you you in a few weeks, we will park in the hotel and meet in the bar before hand, want to make sure we get there early to miss the M25 traffic

George
Originally Posted by Soddon
Thanks for paying. Hopefully everyone is gradually in the process of calling up now. I will probably be calling tomorrow to pay. Look forward to seeing you all soon.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
I'm back in the UK at the weekend so will call andy on Monday to settle up.

These two youngsters in the latest BA vid have thrown down the gauntlet to all us budding pilots....

BoeBus likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:02 pm

Just a quick question ... I rang and gave Andy my card details on Wednesday but I don’t seem to have a pending payment showing on my Amex card ... is anyone else the same? Can only assume he’s not actually put the payment through yet

thanks!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GeorgeAmbler89
Just a quick question ... I rang and gave Andy my card details on Wednesday but I don’t seem to have a pending payment showing on my Amex card ... is anyone else the same? Can only assume he’s not actually put the payment through yet

thanks!
I called on Friday. No pending transaction yet. However, I don't think he puts them through immediately when you call so I wouldn't be concerned.
GeorgeAmbler89 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
I just got through to Andy and I'm all squared up.

He said that the payments would all go through later this week, and that we'll all have our invoice and card payment slip on Friday when we see him.
KARFA likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhbloke
I just got through to Andy and I'm all squared up.

He said that the payments would all go through later this week, and that we'll all have our invoice and card payment slip on Friday when we see him.
Thanks bhbloke ^

Just a reminder to anyone who hasn't called to pay yet, please do so by Wednesday. If Andy isn't at his desk when you call just leave your number on the voicemail and he will call you back. Thanks.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: BA
Called Andy and paid up. He's such a pleasant chap. See those of you who are coming on Friday at the hotel!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.