Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow [UK] – 26 October & 2 November 2018

Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA

It’s back again! Simulator choice this year is 747 and 777, but no one will be forced to fly on something they don’t want though, and I would imagine the 747 is the one most want (and should try).

Previous Trip Reports for the 747-400 Simulators
Cost
Each simulator holds 4 people and one instructor. The total cost of a 4 hour session in one simulator would be Ł1,700 (this is cheaper than BA offer to the public), and this would give around 55-60 minutes of time per person on the controls – although we would rotate during the session so this would be split in to a number of smaller time chunks. Please note that the prices on the BAFT website are quoted as Ł1,700 excluding VAT per simulator, but we have been offered them for a price of Ł1,700, including VAT.

As we are charged per simulator generally a group in multiples of 4 would be ideal, with cost per person being Ł425. If we only had three people for example we would still have to pay Ł1,700 so the cost per person increases to Ł567 per person, although we would each get a bit more time at the controls. If we end up with 5 though it may well make sense to go to 1 simulator to reduce the cost and have say 45/50 minutes each per simulator.

Basically once we confirm numbers we can make a choice if we don't have a multiple of 4, although a multiple of 4 would be ideal.

Payment
Once the date is confirmed and booked each person would pay their share directly to BAFT, this is likely to be around September or early October when payment is due. It would be non-refundable so if you don't show you would unfortunately not get your money back, but this stops those that do show all of a sudden having to cover any no-show's share. If you do commit and pay and find in a few months you can't make it one option may be to see if a friend, work colleague, or other FT'er can come and take your place and they can pay you directly for your share which you have already paid to BAFT.

I will ensure that we are absolutely not going to be in a situation on the day where I am asking those that have come along to dip in to their pockets to cover any additional cost. Sorry this seems a bit harsh, but I don't think anyone wants to turn up finding instead of Ł3,400 divided by 8 it is suddenly only divided by 6.

Dates & Times
Unfortunately weekends are not possible for a group booking, so the options are weekdays. My own preference would be a Friday and probably 1900-2300 as (coming from the regions) I would only need to take half a day off work and wouldn't have to worry about getting back for working the next day. For those in London or around the South East you could come in the evening and there would be no need for any holiday being used.

If we booked for a date more than 3 months in advance we can hopefully get our choice of date & time. I have already confirmed with BA that the dates offered below are available.

The dates being offered are:
  • Friday 26 October 1900-2300
  • Friday 2 November 1900-2300

The simulators are all now at the new Engineering Base at Heathrow near Hatton Cross tube station - they used to be at Cranebank which is where we went in 2014, but they were moved last year and our 2015-2017 visits were at the new facility. More details here.

As this is part of a secure area you would need a passport or other photo ID to enter.

Threads from previous years:
October 2014 -> FT Flight Simulator Outing to BAFT Cranebank and Trip Report here
October 2015 -> FT 747-400 Flight Simulator Outing to BAFT Heathrow
October 2016 -> FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow
October 2017 -> FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow
Print Wikipost

FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow [UK] – 26 October & 2 November 2018

Old Oct 6, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: QF Silver / BA Silver
Good stuff. Thanks for the update. Looking forward to it.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:30 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Joe Public
Good stuff. Thanks for the update. Looking forward to it.
Hi, no problem Joe Public.

​​​​​​​When you get a moment could you send me a reply to the PM I sent on Thursday? Many thanks.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
That’s great, thanks @KARFA

Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:57 am
Original Poster

@MotheatenHound and @florian - when you get a moment could you send me a reply to the PM I sent on Thursday? Many thanks.

Last edited by KARFA; Oct 10, 2018 at 3:22 am
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA
@MotheatenHound and @florian - when you get a moment could you send me a reply to the PM I sent on Thursday? Many thanks.
Just replied to you Sir !
KARFA likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:22 am
Original Poster

@florian are you there? Really need to hear from you immediately if you want to still come. Could you send me a reply to the PM I sent last Thursday please?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Just been sending out PMs and email requesting passport details as we need to submit them beforehand.

@Soddon @Kungpo @flylikelinz @bhbloke I assume your passport details haven't changed from last year, I still have the details so I haven't sent you an email/PM and there is no need to send me anything unless you have got a new passport.
bhbloke likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:36 am
Original Poster

@Weary Nomad just sent you a PM
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

@Weary Nomad just sent you another PM, some good news
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Updated list for the two evenings. I have slightly tweaked the groups on the first evening just to ensure everyones preferences are met. Also @Weary Nomad is now off the subs bench as well. If anyone isn't happy with the changes do let me know and I will see what I can do.

No changes to the second evening.

Thanks to everyone for sending in details over the last few days. PMs/emails are going out tomorrow with details for the evening and instructions for payment.

Friday 26 October

747 (Group 1)
@Soddon
@flatlander
flatlander+1
@Weary Nomad

747 (Group 2)
@KARFA
@nick.t.davies
@flylikelinz
@pilotngb

777 (Group 3)
@Joe Public
@Kungpo
@MotheatenHound
@bhbloke

Friday 2 November

747 (Group 1 - group of three)
@BoeBus
BoeBus+1
BoeBus+2

747 (Group 2)
@GeorgeAmbler89
GeorgeAmbler89+1
GeorgeAmbler89+2
GeorgeAmbler89+3

747 (Group 3)
@DeadManFlying
@Pascoe
@KARFA
@djwam

Reserve
@france77
@jfallesen
@TomMM
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: BA
Wicked

I'm cool with that. Is it safe to book the hotel now?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kungpo
Is it safe to book the hotel now?
Yes absolutely
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Morning gang, much to my annoyance I am going to have to drop out of the event on the 26th. To say I’m disappointed is an understatement.

Many thanks to KARFA for putting together a great outing, hopefully I can make it next time around. Have a great evening to all those taking part, especially my replacement from the subs bench ��
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MotheatenHound
Morning gang, much to my annoyance I am going to have to drop out of the event on the 26th. To say I’m disappointed is an understatement.

Many thanks to KARFA for putting together a great outing, hopefully I can make it next time around. Have a great evening to all those taking part, especially my replacement from the subs bench ��
thanks for the post.

@france77
@jfallesen
@TomMM

if any of you can come on 26 October could you send me a PM immediately please.

Hopefully I can find someone at this stage, however you realise if I can’t you are still on the hook for your share of the costs - I have made that clear right from the start.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by KARFA

Yes absolutely
Excellent. Hotel booked so I can enjoy a few after sim beers with all of you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.