Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow [UK] – 26 October & 2 November 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA

It’s back again! Simulator choice this year is 747 and 777, but no one will be forced to fly on something they don’t want though, and I would imagine the 747 is the one most want (and should try).

Previous Trip Reports for the 747-400 Simulators
Cost
Each simulator holds 4 people and one instructor. The total cost of a 4 hour session in one simulator would be £1,700 (this is cheaper than BA offer to the public), and this would give around 55-60 minutes of time per person on the controls – although we would rotate during the session so this would be split in to a number of smaller time chunks. Please note that the prices on the BAFT website are quoted as £1,700 excluding VAT per simulator, but we have been offered them for a price of £1,700, including VAT.

As we are charged per simulator generally a group in multiples of 4 would be ideal, with cost per person being £425. If we only had three people for example we would still have to pay £1,700 so the cost per person increases to £567 per person, although we would each get a bit more time at the controls. If we end up with 5 though it may well make sense to go to 1 simulator to reduce the cost and have say 45/50 minutes each per simulator.

Basically once we confirm numbers we can make a choice if we don't have a multiple of 4, although a multiple of 4 would be ideal.

Payment
Once the date is confirmed and booked each person would pay their share directly to BAFT, this is likely to be around September or early October when payment is due. It would be non-refundable so if you don't show you would unfortunately not get your money back, but this stops those that do show all of a sudden having to cover any no-show's share. If you do commit and pay and find in a few months you can't make it one option may be to see if a friend, work colleague, or other FT'er can come and take your place and they can pay you directly for your share which you have already paid to BAFT.

I will ensure that we are absolutely not going to be in a situation on the day where I am asking those that have come along to dip in to their pockets to cover any additional cost. Sorry this seems a bit harsh, but I don't think anyone wants to turn up finding instead of £3,400 divided by 8 it is suddenly only divided by 6.

Dates & Times
Unfortunately weekends are not possible for a group booking, so the options are weekdays. My own preference would be a Friday and probably 1900-2300 as (coming from the regions) I would only need to take half a day off work and wouldn't have to worry about getting back for working the next day. For those in London or around the South East you could come in the evening and there would be no need for any holiday being used.

If we booked for a date more than 3 months in advance we can hopefully get our choice of date & time. I have already confirmed with BA that the dates offered below are available.

The dates being offered are:
  • Friday 26 October 1900-2300
  • Friday 2 November 1900-2300

The simulators are all now at the new Engineering Base at Heathrow near Hatton Cross tube station - they used to be at Cranebank which is where we went in 2014, but they were moved last year and our 2015-2017 visits were at the new facility. More details here.

As this is part of a secure area you would need a passport or other photo ID to enter.

Threads from previous years:
October 2014 -> FT Flight Simulator Outing to BAFT Cranebank and Trip Report here
October 2015 -> FT 747-400 Flight Simulator Outing to BAFT Heathrow
October 2016 -> FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow
October 2017 -> FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow
Print Wikipost

FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow [UK] – 26 October & 2 November 2018

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: BA
I'm in. Either date is fine and happy with either 777 or 747. Fantastic night out so well worth it if anyone is on the fence. Karfa is a superb organiser.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Thanks for the last few posts. I need to update my offline spreadsheet which I’ll do this evening.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:35 am

Either dates. 747 please
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
I did this last year — a birthday gift! If anyone reading is in two minds I’d recommend going for it! Brilliant couple of hours ... thanks @KARFA
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:07 pm

I'm interested, either date is OK. Prefer to try the 777, the 747 last year was too much to handle for me.
Old May 28, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: BA Blue
KARFA

Can you ask to land at a different airport? I'd like to try SFO

DMF
Old May 28, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
You can fly the sim anywhere that's in the database. Some locations have better graphics than others. The locations on the BA-oriented sims are BA's route network and some other major airports, the locations on the more third-party oriented sims are most of BA's network and other major airports.

Personally I have taken the sims to LHR, LAX, FNC, INN, HKG and others. I would be very surprised if the sims did not have SFO in them too.

Usually the way it works out is that the group in the sim discusses what they would like, by each putting in requests (eg, "I'd like to land at SFO", "I'd like to try an engine failure on takeoff, go around and approach", "I'd like to try a cat II visiblity landing") and the BA FO who's herding the cats and setting up the sim will try to make sure everyone gets what they want. For takeoff the sim is typically positioned at the runway threshold or nearby, and you taxi onto the runway and follow the standard departure route or do a circuit, for landing either you're doing a circuit from takeoff or the sim is positioned a few miles away on a standard approach and you then follow the approach to land.

"Position" in this sense means that the sim changes its internal idea of where the aircraft is and then acts like it just appeared at that location. The visuals go grey, then clear to show the California coast with SFO ahead (or whatever you want), and the aircraft starts off in a nice cruise at 20000 ft or something like that.

Last edited by flatlander; May 28, 2018 at 6:21 am
Old May 29, 2018, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by DeadManFlying
KARFA

Can you ask to land at a different airport? I'd like to try SFO

DMF
I did the SFO take off and landing circuit for SFO last year. The FO would NOT let me fly under the golden gate bridge
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
I am sorry but I can no longer commit due to changed travel plans. Next year!
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by headinclouds
I did the SFO take off and landing circuit for SFO last year. The FO would NOT let me fly under the golden gate bridge
How the hell are you meant to safely do it for real if you can't practice it??????
rapidex likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Pascoe
How the hell are you meant to safely do it for real if you can't practice it??????
The real trick is to fly under the Golden gate bridge, pull up and turn over the headland and get down under the Oakland bridge
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I'd love to join. Either day and no aircraft preference.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I am terribly sorry about the lack of updates so far. This is due in part to the sheer numbers who have expressed an interest this year. We plan for up to 12 for each evening but I think we are at 24 in total now. The good news as that we are now getting confirmation of what sims we can have, and for the first evening we can have 2 x B.747s and 1 x B.777. I should get information on what we can have for the second night in the next week or two. I can now starting working out groups etc. and I will post and confirm as soon as possible so folks can make arrangements.

Also if anyone can't now come please let me know asap. Thanks.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Small risk I may not be able to make 26 October now so would prefer the 2 November date. Thanks.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:05 pm

Thanks for the update

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.