Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow [UK] – 26 October & 2 November 2018

Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA

It’s back again! Simulator choice this year is 747 and 777, but no one will be forced to fly on something they don’t want though, and I would imagine the 747 is the one most want (and should try).

Previous Trip Reports for the 747-400 Simulators
Cost
Each simulator holds 4 people and one instructor. The total cost of a 4 hour session in one simulator would be Ł1,700 (this is cheaper than BA offer to the public), and this would give around 55-60 minutes of time per person on the controls – although we would rotate during the session so this would be split in to a number of smaller time chunks. Please note that the prices on the BAFT website are quoted as Ł1,700 excluding VAT per simulator, but we have been offered them for a price of Ł1,700, including VAT.

As we are charged per simulator generally a group in multiples of 4 would be ideal, with cost per person being Ł425. If we only had three people for example we would still have to pay Ł1,700 so the cost per person increases to Ł567 per person, although we would each get a bit more time at the controls. If we end up with 5 though it may well make sense to go to 1 simulator to reduce the cost and have say 45/50 minutes each per simulator.

Basically once we confirm numbers we can make a choice if we don't have a multiple of 4, although a multiple of 4 would be ideal.

Payment
Once the date is confirmed and booked each person would pay their share directly to BAFT, this is likely to be around September or early October when payment is due. It would be non-refundable so if you don't show you would unfortunately not get your money back, but this stops those that do show all of a sudden having to cover any no-show's share. If you do commit and pay and find in a few months you can't make it one option may be to see if a friend, work colleague, or other FT'er can come and take your place and they can pay you directly for your share which you have already paid to BAFT.

I will ensure that we are absolutely not going to be in a situation on the day where I am asking those that have come along to dip in to their pockets to cover any additional cost. Sorry this seems a bit harsh, but I don't think anyone wants to turn up finding instead of Ł3,400 divided by 8 it is suddenly only divided by 6.

Dates & Times
Unfortunately weekends are not possible for a group booking, so the options are weekdays. My own preference would be a Friday and probably 1900-2300 as (coming from the regions) I would only need to take half a day off work and wouldn't have to worry about getting back for working the next day. For those in London or around the South East you could come in the evening and there would be no need for any holiday being used.

If we booked for a date more than 3 months in advance we can hopefully get our choice of date & time. I have already confirmed with BA that the dates offered below are available.

The dates being offered are:
  • Friday 26 October 1900-2300
  • Friday 2 November 1900-2300

The simulators are all now at the new Engineering Base at Heathrow near Hatton Cross tube station - they used to be at Cranebank which is where we went in 2014, but they were moved last year and our 2015-2017 visits were at the new facility. More details here.

As this is part of a secure area you would need a passport or other photo ID to enter.

Threads from previous years:
October 2014 -> FT Flight Simulator Outing to BAFT Cranebank and Trip Report here
October 2015 -> FT 747-400 Flight Simulator Outing to BAFT Heathrow
October 2016 -> FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow
October 2017 -> FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow
Print Wikipost

FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow [UK] – 26 October & 2 November 2018

Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:18 am

Looks like that I will not be able to participate this year.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by rapidex
The real trick is to fly under the Golden gate bridge, pull up and turn over the headland and get down under the Oakland bridge
A long time ago in a simpler world Mrs DMF and I were in San Francisco for our anniversary and went on a lunch site seeing trip by helicopter going up to the hills behind Walnut Creek for lunch then flying back to San Francisco to see the sites.
So after going past the city we approached the Golden Gate bridge and then unexpectedly flew under and over it as a special treat which I have to say was very exciting, unfortunately the only photo I've got, not digital, shows a small slice of the bride in one corner .

It was a great end to the day and lunch was very good too.

DMF
rapidex and GeorgeAmbler89 like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by headinclouds
Looks like that I will not be able to participate this year.
Hi headinclouds. I am just going through the thread and about to start working out groups for everyone now we are starting to know what sims we will get. Sorry to see you can't make it this year. Hopefully next time though, it would be great to see you again at this

Originally Posted by florens
I am sorry but I can no longer commit due to changed travel plans. Next year!
Hi florens​​​​​​​. Sorry you can't make it this year.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:19 am
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
hi @KARFA,

I looks like the November date has a lot more people than the October date, so if you need to even it out a little and looking for volunteers then I can do either date.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flylikelinz
hi @KARFA,

I looks like the November date has a lot more people than the October date, so if you need to even it out a little and looking for volunteers then I can do either date.
Hi flylikelinz. Thanks and noted ^
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Have just received an email this afternoon which confirms what we will have for the November evening. So we now have confirmed:

26 October - 2 x 747 and 1 x 777
2 November - 3 x 747

This is a good result, apparently they are very busy in November and are turning away airline customers for the 777 for that period.

I'll can finalise groups now and will do that this week. I have captured all the preferences for dates and aircraft type which have already been posted in the thread and send to me my PM. If anyone has changed preferences, especially in relation to date, please let me know. Also if anyone isn't able to make it please let me know immediately.

In terms of hotels for those staying we have usually been at the HGI at Hatton Cross. This is the closest hotel to BAFT and about 5 minutes walk from Hatton Cross tube station, and also has a car park for those driving. It is reasonable value and comfortable - it is usually one of the main hotels I book anyway when needing to overnight at LHR. For the two evenings the current rates are Ł63 (26 Oct) and Ł55 (2 Nov). Additionally BAFT have their own negotiated rate of Ł105 at the HGI which includes complimentary breakfast and car parking - if that is of interest to anyone let me know and I'll pass on the details of the person at BAFT who can book it for you.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:47 pm

Thanks for the update, shame you couldn’t get any 777’s for the November date by myself and 3 guests are happy with a 744!

Looking forward to it!
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any space available for the Oct 26th date?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 5:19 pm

Many thanks for organising. Hope not too late to sign up but would love to do this. I can only make the 26th October. Preference would be for the 747 but happy with the opportunity to do either
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Can you update us on which day each of us will be flying? I need to book some work travel around that time and the friend accompanying me needs to book his flights to the UK soon.

Thanks!
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:05 am
Original Poster

I am really sorry about the delay in updating. I have managed to work out groups now, hopefully this should match preferences for dates and aircraft if you posted any. If anyone is no longer able to make it please let me know now, I should be able to include one of the people in the reserve list if so.

I don't see any further changes in people for each night now, but I may have a slight play with the groups on the first night. However, I know flylikelinz, flatlander, and Soddon had a preference for the 747 so I will keep them on one of the 747s.

Sorry to the four of you on the reserve list. As we had more people wanting to come that spaces I did the groups on a first come first serve basis. Apologies if you have missed out. If anyone now says they can't make it I will let you know.

In terms of payment that will be in a few weeks time, usually BA want paying only a week or so before. I will send a PM closer to the dates with instructions for payment.

Friday 26 October

747 (Group 1)
@Soddon
@flatlander
flatlander+1
@Kungpo

747 (Group 2)
@KARFA
@nick.t.davies
@flylikelinz
@MotheatenHound

777 (Group 3)
@Joe Public
@florian
@pilotngb
@bhbloke

Friday 2 November

747 (Group 1 - group of three)
@BoeBus
BoeBus+1
BoeBus+2

747 (Group 2)
@GeorgeAmbler89
GeorgeAmbler89+1
GeorgeAmbler89+2
GeorgeAmbler89+3

747 (Group 3)
@DeadManFlying
@Pascoe (tbc)
@KARFA
@djwam

Reserve
@france77
@jfallesen
@TomMM
@Weary Nomad
BoeBus and Soddon like this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:16 am

Many thanks for the update KARFA. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a slot to come available
KARFA likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Excellent news, thanks for that!
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:38 pm

Thanks for the update! When shall we call and pay?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GeorgeAmbler89
Thanks for the update! When shall we call and pay?
Hi GeorgeAmbler89. I will send out PMs next week with payment details and information for the evening. Payment will need to be made at some point during the last two weeks this month.
GeorgeAmbler89 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.