Changing a nappy in the lounge

Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:38 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
I have no problem with breast feeding in public - its perfectly natural and no one should feel ashamed of it.

Nappy changing is totally different story - from practical perspective, just because the contents are currently wet doesnt mean that at any moment the child won't suddenly have a poo as well - which is not pleasant. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect toilet related business to be done in the toilet and nappy changes to be conducted there as well. No child is so important that it cannot possibly not wait 30 seconds to go to the loo and be cleaned up in there.

I am not a parent, but an observation I would make is that many friends who are parents say 'oh its different when its your own childs poo' - well I'm sure thats correct as they're the ones who've spent years dealing with it. I on the other am not used to seeing or smelling your childs bowel movements and have no desire to do so. This is the point at which you are inflicting your child on others.

As others have noted, at what point do we draw the line for nappy changes? Is it babies, toddlers, older children with disabilities who still need them, adults with incontinence problems or even that slightly odd community of adults who wear them for sexual pleasure - after all, its just a nappy change.

The other point I'd note is that in this day and age where we are hyper aware about the paedophiles lurking under every bed (if you believe the tabloids), I am astounded people would willingly want their childrens genitals on public display. How would they react if someone then got a phone out - would they assume photos were being taken? I could see a potentially very difficult scene ensuing as a result...
offtothehills likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, GA PLAT, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
If t
For places which do not offer such a facility, we will try and find a quiet corner, and feed there with a privacy blanket. It's worth adding, that babies like to look around, but this can be rather unsettling when trying to feed. So, if you see a parent feeding somewhere, understand that they've likely selected the location for a reason.

When it comes to changing facilities, most places offer a changing table - and we travel with a changing bag which has it's own mat inside if needed (and lots of places, including newly built restaurants) lack a drop-down changing mat.

We'd never change a nappy in public, let alone on a table or sofa, but each to their own.

M
The portable disposable changing mats are very handy , although i am not sure if available in the UK

I am not advocating either changing a nappy on a sofa , or breast feeding in a non private area, If other alternatives are available, I just believe this thread is assuming a lot of things rather than based on fact.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
It's laziness plain and simple. no excuse. The lounges have ample facilities for this. Can't remember from the OP whether this was at LHR or not, but in the 12 flights we've taken with our 19m old pocket rocket, we've never had a situation where changing him in the lounge was necessary. I'd be mortified if someone did that next to me. not because I am hugely squeamish (becoming a dad knocked any last vestiges of that out of me) but because it's just appalling bad manners.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by walkingtall
I am not advocating either changing a nappy on a sofa , or breast feeding in a non private area, If other alternatives are available
I would hope most people would advocate for mothers to breastfeed wherever they want to.
jimlad48 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, GA PLAT, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by 710 77345
I would hope most people would advocate for mothers to breastfeed wherever they want to.

Fully Agree thats what i meant to come across , actually I was very impressed by Easyjet when i booked a flight the other days as they make a special point whilst booking to say " Breastfeeding is welcome anywhere on our aircraft"
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by walkingtall
Fully Agree thats what i meant to come across , actually I was very impressed by Easyjet when i booked a flight the other days as they make a special point whilst booking to say " Breastfeeding is welcome anywhere on our aircraft"
Yet when I try to go in to the cockpit with my baby they freaked out.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Maybe she was stressed, maybe she was worried about losing her seat if she took everything to the baby changing room (don't leave anything unattended!), maybe she was having an off day. Maybe she knew it would be a quick change and no one would notice.

But... Sigh. This is FlyerTalk, so let's get to 50 pages of righteous indignation at another human.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Would introducing Paula Radcliffe into the discussion be drifting too far OT?

Sometimes traveling with young children feels like running a marathon. Needs must...
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I would never do this myself, but come on guys it's really not that bad...if she was travelling along and wasn't sure about getting all her hand luggage (which you cannot leave unattended) into the baby change, I can see how this happened. It's pretty stressful travelling solo with a baby, give her a break. Plus...those baby change facilities at T5 can be pretty filthy themselves.

Also, whilst it's pretty bad manners (I agree) it's really not THAT 'disgusting' if the nappy was just wet rather than soiled. Without wanting to be too detailed, parents generally know whether or not a "code brown" moment is likely during nappy change (not happened to me in 15 months, by the way...) and really if it's just a case a quick change of a wet nappy I don't see the MASSIVE deal being made about this.

For sure it's bad manners, and no I have never done this (and never would unless for some unknown reason I had no option), but I don't think it justifies the total OUTRAGE on show here....I've seen much worse in the lounges...mostly self-important pillocks bellowing on the phone at 100 decibels: a million times more annoying!

Last edited by ratypus; Apr 17, 2018 at 4:32 am Reason: spelling
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:18 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by Sealink
Maybe she was stressed, maybe she was worried about losing her seat if she took everything to the baby changing room (don't leave anything unattended!), maybe she was having an off day. Maybe she knew it would be a quick change and no one would notice.

But... Sigh. This is FlyerTalk, so let's get to 50 pages of righteous indignation at another human.
So for all those exact same reasons and more, its okay if I take a quick whizz in a potted plant?

I love that we live in a time of ANY behaviour is acceptable if you can come up an excuse that plays to emotional sesnsitivities...

Clareym and LBA_flyer like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:28 am

I'm not saying it's "acceptable" (I clearly say the exact opposite). And those were presented at mitigating factors, not a full "excuse".My point was just that the disgusted outrage on view here is a little over-cooked...if it was a wet (not dirty) nappy, then frankly the 30% of people who I see not washing their hands in the lounge loos are far more disgusting / prejudicial to their fellow passengers' health than this.Calm down dears, it's only a wet nappy...
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Fundamentally, I don't really want to be exposed to your childs bowel movements, regardless if they are wet or brown in a public space where I will be eating and relaxing, when there are acceptable changing facilities on hand for use. Its just disgusting and totally unnecessary - frankly it boils down to laziness on the part of the parents. If you want a baby then pay the price, cost and embuggarance on your lifestyle and change it in the toilet, rather than inflicting your child on everyone else.
seanp7, amt, MSPeconomist and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:00 am

I give up - I've said I don't think it's OK; I just commenting on the apparent moral outrage it has caused. It's not THAT bad.

As for me - I wouldn't do this. In fact, I don't. So save me the hectoring. Jeez: I might as well have been doing this for the reaction it's had.

Signing out.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by amt

So for all those exact same reasons and more, its okay if I take a quick whizz in a potted plant?

I love that we live in a time of ANY behaviour is acceptable if you can come up an excuse that plays to emotional sesnsitivities...

​​​​No and... Feel free to think up any other outrageous scenarios that you feel compare if you have to.

And maybe it was disgusting / lazy etc. but none of us were there apart from OP but here we all are, how many pages later?
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:18 pm

If there is a Feeding Room, then my other-half has no problem using it...

For places which do not offer such a facility, we will try and find a quiet corner, and feed there with a privacy blanket.
I'm conscious of side tracking from the original topic, and fear we're heading a bit OMNI but I'd like to add a thought on this point.

If your wife and baby are most comfortable feeding in peace then these rooms are great and I know they can be very helpful with a curious/distracted feeder.

However, i fear there is a danger that women are societally coerced into hiding away in them from fear that a nipple may be glimpsed by a stranger.

​​​​​​I support my wife publicly breastfeeding and see no reason she should have to hide away in a room and isolate herself from normal society just because she is taking care of my son.

Sometimes the presence of these rooms means people feel it is acceptable to ask her to move there. I don't feel this is the case.

We'd never change a nappy in public, let alone on a table or sofa, but each to their own
Absolutely agree with you here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.