Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing a nappy in the lounge

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:50 am

Presumably she was changing a wet nappy, and had various layers between the baby and the chair, so nothing dirty was touching anything left behind and no foul odours. Can't see how this is particularly dirty, especially compared with the (generally accepted) shoes on ottomans.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:51 am

I think it’s disgusting - where do they draw the line? I once had to put up with someone changing their babies nappy (code brown) on the tray table next to me!
hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Clareym66
I think it’s disgusting - where do they draw the line? I once had to put up with someone changing their babies nappy (code brown) on the tray table next to me!
Was it in a CE cabin on a BA flight during meal time by any chance ... ?
In which case, they were making ideal use of the conveniently-blocked middle seat + tray table, surely ..... ?

As HIDDY says above, best not let these little things bother you when you’re “mixing with people from all over the world”

hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:08 am

I think some people have led sheltered lives if they think a nappy change is ‘disgusting’ or outrageous.

Unless it was left all over the seat or done in the eating area I really don’t see an issue. People get so outraged about things. 2 minutes and done. Hardly life changing.

Yes, it probably isn’t the best, but it’s equally not a big deal either.

Compared to drunk, boorish, flatulent self-important adults I know what I’d rather have going on.

Anyway.

Last edited by DWB1873; Apr 14, 2018 at 10:19 am
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Well that says a lot about you and your personal hygiene standards.
Anyway!
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Well that says a lot about you and your personal hygiene standards.
Anyway!
They are actually very good thanks but you go right on assuming.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
I have also witnessed this inflight. Not once, but twice during the same LH flight. I looked up owing to the awful smell. There are pull down changing tables in the washroom. I know, because I have changed both my kids in there.
SK likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC, HHonours, IHG, Bonvoy, KFC Colonel's club
Essentially this can be added to "lounge etiquettes" as there are no written rules and can be debated forever. I do not however think it is acceptable. I understand that being a parent can be tough but this is abusing the powers of being a parent. If there were no changing facilities or space to do so I can probably be a little bit more understanding. However people around them are eating.

Put it this way, if this was done in a restaurant, would people find it acceptable? No, it would upset the large majority and it's common sense not to do it in the middle of a restaurant when everyone is eating (again providing there is no changing facility)
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I look forward to it being done on the table somewhere else where people eat and drink - in a good restaurant. Le Manoir, anyone?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by DWB1873

They are actually very good thanks but you go right on assuming.
Actually they are not as you have already disclosed so I am not assuming anything.
20Rothmans likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by subject2load

Was it in a CE cabin on a BA flight during meal time by any chance ... ?
In which case, they were making ideal use of the conveniently-blocked middle seat + tray table, surely ..... ?

As HIDDY says above, best not let these little things bother you when you’re “mixing with people from all over the world”

No it was on an Air NZ flight, in Y and she was in the middle of a row of 3. There was no meal service etc happening so she could have used the bathroom and chose not too!
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
So for those of you who think this is fine or acceptable, where do you draw the line? What if the same person was changing an adult diaper for an elderly parent? Is this ok? No difference, right? And it is equally hard, if not more so, travelling with an elderly, infirm or disabled person. So it would be ok if they changed an adult nappy on a sofa in full view in the lounge, right? I thought not.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

No it was on an Air NZ flight, in Y and she was in the middle of a row of 3. There was no meal service etc happening so she could have used the bathroom and chose not too!
Thanks for getting back.

It’s obviously unacceptable in economy cabins.

But ........ a whole different story of course for premium class passengers and/ or status holders - for whom one of the key benefits is the facility to change nappies, in an exclusive lounge, right next to other travellers who happen to be eating their breakfast (and saves that oh-so-tiresome fifteen-second walk to the washroom, where better options are provided).
rickg523 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold
I had four children and I can think of at least two situations where I ended up changing nappies in public. Both were my best judgments on a number of factor including
(a) hygiene and well-being of the baby
(b) not spreading unwanted 'spillage' anywhere
(c) not being in a position to wait or had waited too long

Also, I have my doubts on the 'sterile' nature of changing facilities available.

On another note, is changing a baby nappy more or less hygienic than bare feet on seats?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I'd be extremely unhappy about someone doing this in a lounge. Since I've never seen it happen, I'm sure that almost all parents are managing to take care of things in private, so I don't really buy the idea that it might ever be necessary, unless the washrooms were physically inaccessible or out of order.

The fact that there are other more boorish behaviours out there is irrelevant, one bit of bad behaviour doesn't justify another. No need for a debate about the hygiene -- at the point there is actual poo on display in public, you're unambiguously on the wrong side of decent behaviour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.