Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weird CE Pricing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Weird CE Pricing

Flew J for the first time on a revenue ticket tonight.

When pricing a return, Y basic was £117, Y plus was £74 and J was £114.

HBO, it was obviously a no brainer going for a J ticket.

Has anyone seen pricing like this before? It was my understanding that plus fares were just a premium over basic fares.

It was a pleasure meeting @Down_the_back tonight. Having been a lurker for a while, thank you for inspiring me to write something!

EDIT: I should add - Y plus was only available as a return, there was no option to book Y plus as a single at all.
russ1h and Down the back like this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
It’s not uncommon to see Y pricing higher than J especially not far out from the flight.

i have on quite a few occasions availed myself of a J ticket for less than they were offering Y and happy for the “free” TP.

i think it’s all down to who BA are targeting with each price. There are a lot of flyers who’s company are not price sensitive but have a policy that says Y travel only within Europe

Programs: BAEC
It does happen, I was looking at Premium to the US from INV and Y fares were more expensive than W fares.

It has also also been discussed recently here...

When Business Class is Cheaper than Economy Class

Its a no brainer and feels good to book it

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by neverturningleft
Has anyone seen pricing like this before?
See the thread: When Business Class is Cheaper than Economy Class
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:37 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum neverturningleft, it's good to see you emerge from lurkerlife, and many thanks for joining up with us today.

There is another thread with some examples where CE was the cheapest of the lot. I suspect, given you were on a return ticket, there was some strange fare rules that made Plus more expensive than Basic, that can happen on some fare combinations where in Plus you effectively end up with both legs in a higher selling class than Basic, but that's very much the exception and usually happens either with Closed User Group fares or some domestic sectors.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Thanks both.

I suppose my question was less to do with J pricing and more to do with Y pricing.

Has anyone ever seen Y+ cheaper than Y basic?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks @corporate-wage-slave for the customary welcome.

I ended up booking J out, and Y basic back on a separate PNR. The value proposition for J definitely wasn't there on the way back.

I was on a domestic booking, LGW - GLA.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond, Scandic Top Floor
Hi neverturningleft,

It was a pleasure to meet you tonight as well, strangely enough tonight I was booked to return on the 10.20pm flight from LGW to GLA but to change to the 7.30pm fIight I was quoted £220 for Y and £152 for J, no surprise which one I took :-)

and as CWS said welcome aboard....

DtB
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

DtB

it seems we're in the SDC boat.

Who would willingly subject themself to the 2210?! (Apart from me next week!)
Old Apr 13, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: BA, JAL
They tell me it's all about fare buckets and flexibility. Most likely the cheap eco tickets have sold out while the cheap business tickets remain, or something such.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 6:22 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Deleted

Last edited by FlyerTalker6245; May 23, 2020 at 7:42 am
Old Apr 14, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Thanks @corporate-wage-slave for the customary welcome.

I ended up booking J out, and Y basic back on a separate PNR. The value proposition for J definitely wasn't there on the way back.

I was on a domestic booking, LGW - GLA.
I do LHR/LGW - GLA probably 15-20 times a year. Last Autumn I did about 2 J returns where it was cheaper than Y. Extra Tiers + Avios + BA's promotion with additional Avios meant I couldnt go wrong. Ironically when submitting my expenses to the client I got a call from their accounts dept saying they woud only pay me for th equivalent Y fare as I was in breach of their travel policy (which is only Y for domestic). Having pre-empted this I twice took screenshots of the BA screen showing the Economy and Business fares which on these 2 occasions showed J cheaper than Y and quite cheekily asked if they would be re-imbursing me for the difference in fare!!
ML
Old Apr 14, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
When pricing a return, Y basic was £117, Y plus was £74 ...
I suppose my question was less to do with J pricing and more to do with Y pricing.

Has anyone ever seen Y+ cheaper than Y basic?
I think the title has mis-directed the focus. "Weird Basic / Plus Pricing" might have done it.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
It can happen on Longhaul too. I had to change the dates of my flight to HKG a few years back, at somewhat short notice. I'd been booked to go out in J (as is usual) but when I had a quick look at new times and dates before sending preferences to the team PA, I saw that on my preferred flight, F was cheaper than J, albeit with ba.com showing "1 remaining seat available".

Needless to say I finished typing and sending out that preferences email pretty quickly and the outbound selection was in bold with a very large font.

That one seemed very odd to me. Didn't think it was part of that 'book J, fly F one leg' travel agent promotion that they run occasionally. it just looked like a wierdly cheap ticket. Certainly nothing wrong with the service. Was new F on the A380.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.