Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you mind switching seats with me...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I'm going to leave this here, and wait to be lynched!

I flew back from JFK last weekend in 64K. As I came upstairs, there was a Dad and his 2 year old son sat on the crew jump seat. It transpired that the Dad was meant to be in 64J, and the son had been put into 60B. This had happened, because it was a totally full flight, and they had not paid in advance for seating. However, BA promise that no child will be seated away from their parent.

So, the plane boards, and we're ready to go. However, the Father and Son are still on the jump seat. The crew then go about the task of talking to literally every single passenger upstairs, to see if they can find a pair of seats together. They actively avoided coming to me to begin with, despite me (and 60A) being the two most obvious passengers to start with.

M
What I don't understand is that if Parents (and anyone else) can afford to fly in CW, then they can afford to pay the extra for the seats (unless it was a late booking) and stop being cheapskates and expect others to give up their seat for you.

Also, CSD should hand out goodwill vouchers for those people who do give up their seats.

My opinion - But the UD should only be for adults.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:54 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Fontana
What I don't understand is that if Parents (and anyone else) can afford to fly in CW, then they can afford to pay the extra for the seats (unless it was a late booking) and stop being cheapskates and expect others to give up their seat for you.

Also, CSD should hand out goodwill vouchers for those people who do give up their seats.

My opinion - But the UD should only be for adults.
Please let's not send this thread into shark infested waters
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
I once had CC asking me if I would mind moving from my window seat to an aisle seat on the UD of a 747 so that 2 colleagues could sit and work closer together. They made it clear it was a request, not an instruction, and that it would be fine to say no. I politely told the CC that I preferred the window seat and they perfectly understood and found seats for them both on the lower deck.

My opinion is that you should be allowed to sit where you have chosen to unless CC or pilots instruct otherwise for a good reason. E.g. I used to fly EK for work with a previous employer and would often get upgraded from Y to J if I booked a bulkhead seat due to those travelling with babies.
20Rothmans likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:53 am

Must confess, having paid Ł100 per seat do I can sit beside my wife, I’d be very reluctant to give it up.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
The idea of UD being for "adults" is an interesting one.

Some of the behaviour from "adults" that is exhibited in the Lounge should mean that they, too, are banned from the UD.
wrp96 and Lucanesque like this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:53 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
The idea of UD being for "adults" is an interesting one.

Some of the behaviour from "adults" that is exhibited in the Lounge should mean that they, too, are banned from the UD.
and indeed from the lounge, whilst we are at it.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Is the offered seat better?
1) Yes? => Maybe
2) No? => "No"

Re: Angry looks: I don't give a damn. I won't have my flight ruined by someone too cheap to cough up the seat fee.
flygirl68, wrp96, theddo and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Is the offered seat better?
1) Yes? => Maybe
2) No? => "No"
3) Pretty? => Yes
4) Elderly? => Yes
5) Remotely like me? => GTHO
Old Apr 14, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG
Twice asked in recent months and both times happily agreed and both times to inferior seats. The knowledge that I have been able to allow fellow travellers to sit together and enjoy the flight is all the compensation I need
kosy91 and Lucanesque like this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by brentford77
Twice asked in recent months and both times happily agreed and both times to inferior seats. The knowledge that I have been able to allow fellow travellers to sit together and enjoy the flight is all the compensation I need
Golden Rule... I completely agree. I would do the same, assuming same cabin, and have even given up bulk head so that parents can sit together... May have to do with the fact that I have a 2yo, so I understand the stress that some parents, especially ones who are not used to travelling are going through.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by flying_pig
I've been asked to swap seats a number of times. For me it all depends on the specific circumstances, in particular: how the request is delivered and how much it matters to the people involved. If I sense that it's really important to someone, they ask nicely and - most importantly - without any sense of entitlement, then I am usually happy to comply and even move to a less desirable seat. It reminds me of when I happily gave 64A to a honeymoon couple who was upgraded and was clearly having the time of their lives.

On the other hand, I do not like to be pressured, particularly by members of staff. I like 1C in CE as it affords the opportunity of stretching legs and freedom of movement. This happens a few weeks ago: I am approached at the gate by the Station Manager in a European outstation. She has a middle-aged couple standing behind her and she starts explaining that they had to be upgraded as the flight was full, but could not find them two seats together. She demands that I swap 1C with something like 6A (on a band 4, no thanks). I explain that I'd rather keep my seat. The Station Manager is now irate and starts pressuring me, asking whether I am "really refusing to help?", all with the couple starting at me. Now, this in my view is NOT appropriate. Staff should not be putting passengers in awkward positions, let alone a Station Manager and let alone to accommodate upgrades (I guess it was easier for the ground staff to upgrade a couple rather than two singles?). What angers me is that a person who avoids confrontation would have been likely bullied into saying yes, thus accepting a less favourable seat, all to make this Station Manager's job easier.
i totally agree with you but what if she simply changed your seat and you got a beep and a reprinted boarding card at the gate. According to the terms and conditions BA are entitled to change your seat.. agree here the circumstances are not great.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:05 am

Programs: BA Exec Club (Bronze)
This has only happened to me once - in F on the way to MIA. Since the request was from Penny Lancaster who wanted to sit next to Rod Stewart (and she was very charming about it) I was happy to oblige.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Off topic - TXL-LHR on Friday, there was a lot of moving around going on but the crew PA'd a message "please take your seats, the original seats printed on your ticket"... I've heard this before, that switching should happen only after doors closed/in the air (which one is right?) but nobody actually enforced it making people switch back on Friday. Not sure what the point of the message was if not followed through.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
Originally Posted by TPRun
Off topic - TXL-LHR on Friday, there was a lot of moving around going on but the crew PA'd a message "please take your seats, the original seats printed on your ticket"... I've heard this before, that switching should happen only after doors closed/in the air (which one is right?) but nobody actually enforced it making people switch back on Friday. Not sure what the point of the message was if not followed through.
It must be annoying for staff when they have a load of special meals which are assigned to seats. I had 20 kids on a school trip with 15 specials and even though one crew told us to sit any where because it was empty bar us, the lady in charge of meals was a bit exasperated that her list was now defunct. I helped her out and all was well, but I’m sure it just makes life easier for the crew if people are where they ‘should’ be on the manifest.
wrp96 and TPRun like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
I try to be accommodating but not when I'm in my favourite 64K, unless of course relocating to the pointy bit at the front downstairs.
My most bizarre experience was boarding at Heathrow, probably the 10th person to board through the priority queue. I got to 64K and there was someone in my seat, shoes off, already reclining, blanket and earphones unwrapped and hand luggage neatly stowed in the side locker. I used my usual line in these situations, 'Excuse me, are you in the right seat as we seem to be double booked?' to which he replied 'Oh am I in the wrong seat? Oh yes, mine's 60B, I've unpacked everything so it's probably going to be easiest if you just took that one'. The crew quickly got involved and he was dispatched to 60B, blankets etc swapped over. The crew member said it was bizarre. She said he literally came running up the stairs and 'speed unpacked' so they wondered what was going on.
I was quite happy to swap on an AA domestic First (recliner seat) flight from a row 3 window to a row 2 aisle even though I prefer the window. As I was starting to put my bag up, a 50-something male travelling with his wife boarding immediately behind me said, 'Excuse me for asking, and please feel free to say no, but I see you're in 3F. Would you mind swapping into 2C so I can sit with my wife. He was so nice about it, the swap was a no brainer.
wrp96 and TPRun like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.