Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you mind switching seats with me...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Originally Posted by MrMutton

It must be annoying for staff when they have a load of special meals which are assigned to seats. I had 20 kids on a school trip with 15 specials and even though one crew told us to sit any where because it was empty bar us, the lady in charge of meals was a bit exasperated that her list was now defunct. I helped her out and all was well, but I’m sure it just makes life easier for the crew if people are where they ‘should’ be on the manifest.
i see the point on long haul. But this was Berlin to london
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Originally Posted by gcuk
I try to be accommodating but not when I'm in my favourite 64K, unless of course relocating to the pointy bit at the front downstairs.
My most bizarre experience was boarding at Heathrow, probably the 10th person to board through the priority queue. I got to 64K and there was someone in my seat, shoes off, already reclining, blanket and earphones unwrapped and hand luggage neatly stowed in the side locker. I used my usual line in these situations, 'Excuse me, are you in the right seat as we seem to be double booked?' to which he replied 'Oh am I in the wrong seat? Oh yes, mine's 60B, I've unpacked everything so it's probably going to be easiest if you just took that one'. The crew quickly got involved and he was dispatched to 60B, blankets etc swapped over. The crew member said it was bizarre. She said he literally came running up the stairs and 'speed unpacked' so they wondered what was going on.
I love it when people get put in their place (pun intended)
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by gcuk
I try to be accommodating but not when I'm in my favourite 64K, unless of course relocating to the pointy bit at the front downstairs.
My most bizarre experience was boarding at Heathrow, probably the 10th person to board through the priority queue. I got to 64K and there was someone in my seat, shoes off, already reclining, blanket and earphones unwrapped and hand luggage neatly stowed in the side locker. I used my usual line in these situations, 'Excuse me, are you in the right seat as we seem to be double booked?' to which he replied 'Oh am I in the wrong seat? Oh yes, mine's 60B, I've unpacked everything so it's probably going to be easiest if you just took that one'. The crew quickly got involved and he was dispatched to 60B, blankets etc swapped over. The crew member said it was bizarre. She said he literally came running up the stairs and 'speed unpacked' so they wondered what was going on.
I was quite happy to swap on an AA domestic First (recliner seat) flight from a row 3 window to a row 2 aisle even though I prefer the window. As I was starting to put my bag up, a 50-something male travelling with his wife boarding immediately behind me said, 'Excuse me for asking, and please feel free to say no, but I see you're in 3F. Would you mind swapping into 2C so I can sit with my wife. He was so nice about it, the swap was a no brainer.
requests to change in us domestic f are frequent because they often come from space upgraded frequent flyers in y who assume most others in the cabin are also upgrades and randomly sat. I’ll typically use the same criteria to say yes or no in such cases as I would elsewhere but with even less guilt if the person was already lucky enough to get an upgrade whilst I pay for F/J.
Markie likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:14 am

Many years ago, on a family trip in Y to MIA on VS, my son and I were seated in the aisle/window pair, the row behind the exit. A young couple boarded and took their seats in the exit row in front of us and she started having a panic attack. She was petrified of flying near the door in the exit row. I gallantly offered that we’d swap with them and we had a much more comfortable flight to MIA. Win-win.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG
Originally Posted by Corpt
Many years ago, on a family trip in Y to MIA on VS, my son and I were seated in the aisle/window pair, the row behind the exit. A young couple boarded and took their seats in the exit row in front of us and she started having a panic attack. She was petrified of flying near the door in the exit row. I gallantly offered that we’d swap with them and we had a much more comfortable flight to MIA. Win-win.
You just reminded me! About a decade ago, I was travelling Calgary to LHR with my son who was about 11 at the time. Due to a family illness we flew back a day early and were allocated two separate seats in WT+ which was the cabin we were booked in. The gate staff told me I would have to ask about changing seats onboard. As we got on, I asked the CSD about the possibility of being located together and she took us to the cabin and politely asked a single traveller in the adjacent seat if he would be willing to move. He started making all sorts of grumbling comments and in the end, the CSD got so fed up, she said to him, don't worry sir, you just stay put, and turned to me and said 'I do have one pair of seats left, but they are a middle row if you would be ok with that? ...but they are in First sir'. You've never seen me move so fast!
wrp96 and jerub like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Recently flew domestic AA with my sister and we were not able to sit together. No biggie as it was a short hop and I did not ask anyone to swap. Got in my aisle seat, and an obviously single mom who likely rarely travelled and had two girls under 10 with her(but they were not toddlers). Somehow managed to sit in the middle seat across the aisle while her girls were in the seats next to me. Asked me to switch and I refused. Glad I refused as not only was she in the wrong row but on the wrong side. So had I moved not only would I have inconvenienced myself I would have been forced to move yet again. Always pays to make sure the person who asks you to swap is actually correctly seated to begin with.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Stoemp
This has only happened to me once - in F on the way to MIA. Since the request was from Penny Lancaster who wanted to sit next to Rod Stewart (and she was very charming about it) I was happy to oblige.
Why should celebrities get special treatment? If they don't want to travel like anyone else at their elite status and with the same sort of ticket, they should pay to fly private.
dougzz and Cotumely like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Some of you people sound like asking for a seat is the same as asking for your first born... It's only a seat on a plane - and there is always the option to politely say no to such a request...
haroon145 and dougzz like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by LCY8737
It's only a seat on a plane - and there is always the option to politely say no to such a request...
The point is, that a polite "No" is rarely the end of the matter...
MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:58 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why should celebrities get special treatment? If they don't want to travel like anyone else at their elite status and with the same sort of ticket, they should pay to fly private.
I don't see any suggestion Stoemp's post to suggest that Penny Lancaster demanded the swap on the basis of her celebrity status or otherwise. You know what assumptions do, don't you? I'm confident that had she demanded it in a rude way, then Stoemp would have mentioned it.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:05 am

I had a weird experience on a flight the other week. I was moved from W on BA to Y on Westjet (over which there is an ongoing dispute with American) Very last row in the middle set (aisle seat) in what should have been crew rest seats.

I am sat next to a lady with her son.

The grandma is clearly 5-6 rows ahead on an aisle on the middle.

I offer to swap (not entirely altruistic of course - moving out of the last row away from the toilets and avoiding visits from grandma looks good to me).

I got every excuse as to why they didnt want to ... from 'but you paid for that seat' (hell no i didnt) ... 'but we cant ask you to do that' (you really can) ... 'but you are settled' (just my ipad and headphones). None of the discussion was about them ... all about how it would inconvenience me.

In the end they didnt swap and grandma only visited at 20 minutes to landing. Son was superb too ... slept most of the way.

Seat was horrible and uncomfortable compared to BA WTP though. Moving wouldnt have improved that but I found it very funny.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I took it to mean that it’s rather hard to say no when you look like Penny Lancaster.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by MPH1980
I had a weird experience on a flight the other week. I was moved from W on BA to Y on Westjet (over which there is an ongoing dispute with American) Very last row in the middle set (aisle seat) in what should have been crew rest seats.

I offer to swap (not entirely altruistic of course - moving out of the last row away from the toilets and avoiding visits from grandma looks good to me).

I got every excuse as to why they didnt want to ... from 'but you paid for that seat' (hell no i didnt) ... 'but we cant ask you to do that' (you really can) ... 'but you are settled' (just my ipad and headphones). None of the discussion was about them ... all about how it would inconvenience me.

In the end they didnt swap and grandma only visited at 20 minutes to landing. Son was superb too ... slept most of the way.

Seat was horrible and uncomfortable compared to BA WTP though. Moving wouldnt have improved that but I found it very funny.
This post makes it clear why a lot of us actually do mind being asked to move.

Families are only interested in sitting together if it means getting better seats, otherwise, they'll manage.
MSPeconomist, CarolynUK and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by MPH1980

Hmmm... but then not everyone want to travel sat together! For instance, if flying CW or F on BA, my partner and I always choose two window seats! It's happened to have people noting that we are together offer to move (as you point out, typically not entirely uninterested as we typically pre-book very good window seats like 62A and K!) but while always being very thankful of the people's generosity, indeed, we never accept - we just choose to travel that way and are always very happy to be reunited with each other upon landing!
Msclelovr likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by theddo
Families are only interested in sitting together if it means getting better seats, otherwise, they'll manage.
I think that is just not true. If I think of my family, 95% of them would have no clue what good seats are (the idea of 64K being somehow better than some other club seat would simply not come up). On the other hand we would all love to sit together, and a middle next to a loved one would be preferable over any exit row seats.

It requires quite a bit of FT cynicism to claim otherwise...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.