Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you mind switching seats with me...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
"didn't let any of the petty toy throwing bother me."

Nice turn of phrase.
I do not do toy throwing. Even when I have had major disappointments, or completely useless/highly opinionated bosses.

Some folk seem to relish the opportunity. I wonder what the psychology is?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
If they wanted to ensure they sat together they should have paid for seats.

i also said no when someone wanted to swap my 62k seatvfor their aisle seat so they coiksld sit beside their husband. I said no and promptly shut the divider
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, then a handful of points on everything else.
In my younger, more naive, days I swapped from an aisle seat in Y to a middle seat in the centre of a 744 so a couple could sit together. They must have seen me coming.
20Rothmans likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by Fitch
Precisely !

It may be that the couple genuinely had no idea that 64A was better than any other on the upper deck and were confused and annoyed when their perfectly reasonable (to them) request was turned down.

Not everyone flies CW every week / reads this forum every day...
One way to maybe help with this is to say 'Sorry, I paid to specifically reserve this seat' which is technically correct if you have status. In normal circumstances, they had opportunity to pay beforehand, do it at -24hr, at the airport and ask the crew. So 'Sorry, No' is perfectly reasonable I think.
wrp96 and JayeJ like this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: Mucci, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
On a recent JFK-LHR morning flight, at check in the agent asked me if I would mind switching from 62k to 62A so that a couple could sit together. To me, it was an even exchange, so I agreed. Upon boarding, the couple thanked me and informed me that they had 62A and 62C, but the 62C was broken, hence the reason for the seitch. They got to sit together, and I got an empty seat next me. Great deal.
PETER01 and Lucanesque like this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:33 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
I had a strange situation on the way to VCE recently. I deliberately chose row 1 for my sister in law and my 11 year old autistic nephew to give him the treat of having the very first row window seat, as they don't travel business class at all. I was originally allocated 1F and my wife 1D, but I always change my seat to row 2 because of the lack of under-seat storage and the tendency for the front bins to be full of crew luggage.

I was on the plane ahead of everyone else in our party, and noticed a guy sat in 1F talking across to a guy in 1A. I spoke politely to the guy in 1A suggesting he was sitting there in error. He pretended not to understand me saying he didn't speak English so well. So I asked again, this time in Italian (being reasonably proficient). I could see his boarding card was for 1D. He gave a huff, and initially wouldn't move until my nephew and sister in law arrived to take their seats. Initially he stood up in 1D talking to 1F (they were travelling together). After the doors closed, he moved to 5D and talked to his companion over the heads of everyone else. After the excellent crew had given my nephew a cockpit tour and set him up with his logbook (which my nephew was really happy about - he asked after the flight attendants by name both at check in at VCE met with silence by a surly checkin assistant and on board) the CSM told me that she had asked him to move into his correct seat a few times and said that she was met with refusal and found him a little 'different'.

it was certainly strange...
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:42 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
To reply to the OP - No you are not. In the old smoking/non smoking cabins this went on all the time as people tried to get back to smoking rows and pollute the whole cabin. - this was very frequent.

I really dislike this seat swapping as you describe it. I flew up from SJU to JFK on a 757 in F in a configuration that had a First cabin of about 16 people (as memory serves.). I had chosen 1B because of the meal ordering system. The woman next to me asked if I'd swap with her husband who was in 3D. I went to see the lead FA and she took my meal order even at that point. I arrive at 3D and the Englishman in 3F asks if I would swap with his wife in 2F. I, rather tired of being the one everyone asked as I was on my own, said that I wanted an aisle seat, and why didn't he ask the lady in 2D to swap with him. She had refused apparently. So after seeing who else he could move, he harrumphed that the seating was badly done. I told him that he could have done this on booking (he was paid F). The final blow came when the meal orders were taken - and I had done well to ask for the steak (surprisingly good btw) all that was left was Pasta.
"I don't eat Pasta" he primly replied. I really wondered if he was going to ask me to swap that as well.
I would add that wife had the steak and a rather pleasant chat with the lady in 2D but my attention was fixed on the screen so I could watch the film and ignore him.
Since then - never without knowing where I am swapping to!
wrp96 and Lucanesque like this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 12:49 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I probably posted this before, but I got on a LHR-SEA flight about 10 years ago and there was a very tall (6'7" ish) guy in my seat. It was an aisle seat in Y on a 747 - just about the only seat with any legroom (which is why I chose it).

He said something like, "Could you please swap seats, as I'm much more comfortable in this seat?". His seat was the middle of the 3 on the left, next to mine. I refused, and he wasn't happy. He eventually moved to one of the middle 4 seats which was a "bulkhead". The owner of that seat arrived, and he tried the same thing again, only to be rebuffed.

He tried again with me, and then refused to sit down at all. The cabin crew eventually got him to sit down, and we took off. He immediately started complaining again, and was eventually moved - I think to WT+ (grrrr....).

It seemed to be good as I then got an empty middle seat.. until the woman in the window seat moved into that, leaving the window seat free!!!! Some people...
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
My favorite is when they want the good seat and only wanna give up the bad one.

I had an FA ask me once to move from row 12 to like row 30 so that 2 people could sit together. My answer was simple "sorry I'd rather not, I like the aisle and I chose row 12 because there's extra legroom and I'm closer to the front of the plane". She didn't seem to think...OH, ok well then I'll go ask this other random in row 30 to move forward. She just gave me a look and dropped it.

I realize we live in a society where common courtesy should reign supreme. Normally I'm all good to give up my seat on a bus, hold a door open, let people cut in line who have shown up far too late for their flights. But then you can't charge me for seat selection, you can't have it both ways. I know the FAs don't set those policies, but they probably see some profit sharing from it. So sure, if the seat selection was free, and I'm going from aisle to aisle further back, no worries. Happy to do it unless there's a huge legroom shrinkage. But if I've paid for the seat, or by extension "paid" for the seat by being an elite member...then no, I won't be doing that.

An advantage for me being a solo traveler, is that I never have to worry about sitting with my ________. If you only wanna sit with you _______, then I'm sorry, seat selection should've been a priority for you.
Lucanesque and Proudelitist like this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
I fell for the seat swap thing on a SFO-LHR flight, an elderly couple who wanted to sit together. CC asked me to swap 62A for 60A, which as I was feeling unwell and just wanted to sleep I agreed to. Mistake... 60B, J and K were occupied by a family with no volume control, I fell over 61B's footstool and cracked my head on the bulkhead and cabin temp was 24 degs... I asked the CC if there was anywhere else left to sit and she moved me to 64J and kept bringing me hot toddies.

Still, next time I'm asked I'll politely decline the request...!
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
Originally Posted by simons1

Really? The question was asked and the OP declined. Does acting like a prize plum really add to the situation?
As so often, you selectively pluck a portion of a post.

The matter continued. OP went on to state that he was subject to stares of daggers afterwards, suggesting they were inappropriately peeved and aggrieved by his refusal, which might have made lesser travellers feel quite uncomfortable.
Fortunately, we can laugh such silliness off on FT.

That, to my mind though, is the action of a seat bully; one not inexperienced in upper deck travel, but well versed in the benefits of that particular seat.

Prize Plum? I always thought you more a bitter lemon kind of guy.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by PrimaVista
As so often, you selectively pluck a portion of a post.

The matter continued. OP went on to state that he was subject to stares of daggers afterwards, suggesting they were inappropriately peeved and aggrieved by his refusal, which might have made lesser travellers feel quite uncomfortable.
Fortunately, we can laugh such silliness off on FT.

That, to my mind though, is the action of a seat bully; one not inexperienced in upper deck travel, but well versed in the benefits of that particular seat.

Prize Plum? I always thought you more a bitter lemon kind of guy.
They might have been peeved, even so I personally wouldn't resort to behaving in the aisle in the way you suggest. In addition to sounding a touch silly, if we all resorted to the level of the lowest common denominator travel would get very stressful.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Had this happen a few weeks ago. Couple asked to move to the window pair where I was sat. I declined, explaining I had specifically booked the window.

If you have a polite but firm, reasonable explanation, you ought to see the situation puts to rest if you’re not willing to move.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:46 pm

A personal favorite of mine..."what is it worth to you".

Adults with young kids are my exception.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/ All the AMEX Plat things
No, your not being a arse and as for the children issues, no also! I’d leave it for the cabin crew to sort it out and then if they would have offered me a better seat (F) I would have quite happily obliged.
Lucanesque and Proudelitist like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.