Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you mind switching seats with me...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Mrs. Proudelitist, who does not fly nearly as much as I do, has learned some good lessons from me as well. She recently boarded to find her aisle seat occupied by the middle seat passenger, who "mansplained" to her that "it's all the same, just sit there, the whole plane is going to the same place". She was having none of it and the guy begrudingly moved. The old Mrs. Proudelitist would have meekly backed down so as not to cause a scene. It's great when our families learn from us and apply those lessons.
I find it interesting how people that refuse to move from my seat always like to point out all seats are the same and we will all arrive at the same time.
wrp96 and rickg523 like this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Confession time.

It would have been our very first BA CW, in 2008, and we were on the UD of a 747 across the Pond. At this stage I hadn’t decoded all this yin-yang arrangement, and just selected seats where the OH and I could, I thought, face each other to talk.

On boarding, I realised that 64B was several miles away from my wife in 63A.

Would you believe it!! The gentleman in 64A offered to swap, having seen my confusion, so that my wife could sit next/facing me!! If you are on FT, Sir, thank you VERY much for giving up the best CW seat in the fleet!!
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by CarolynUK
Another example of the cheek of some people....

a couple of years ago I booked my daughter a one way ticket in WTP, and the bucket allowed seat choice on booking so I'd got her a nice window seat. I ad gone to pick her up and had scored a great Club fare so I was on the upper deck, and being 16, she wanted to be all grown up and board by herself when called. Anyway, she got on board and found an elderly lady in her seat, and the seat mate (the poachers daughter) Told my daughter she could just take her mother's seat which was a middle middle in the back half of Y.
How very unpleasant for your daughter, I’m very glad to hear that my colleagues kept an eye on her, I would have done the same. Well done to her. Also, I’ve read of a couple of incidents from colleagues recently of families that are split in WT+ and WT and trying to insist they must sit together. Seems like a ploy.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by T8191
If you are on FT, Sir, thank you VERY much for giving up the best CW seat in the fleet!!
Judging by the responses so far I'd say the chances of him being a Flyertalker are mighty slim.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by T8191
If you are on FT, Sir, thank you VERY much for giving up the best CW seat in the fleet!!
You’re welcome, it was me.

(wasn’t me)
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:25 pm

This thread is half making me hope that I might find someone in my seat next time I fly, just so I can have the satisfaction of removing them (and reporting it here).
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by dpark74
This thread is half making me hope that I might find someone in my seat next time I fly, just so I can have the satisfaction of removing them (and reporting it here).
Me too!!
In the meantime I will make do with smiling at those boarding passengers who check every single seat number (including mine) against their boarding pass, while I’m thinking “Move right along, this is not your seat.”
T8191 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by dpark74
Yeah. Will you lot please quit hogging all the righteous indignation and leave some for the rest of us
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by flygirl68
How very unpleasant for your daughter, I’m very glad to hear that my colleagues kept an eye on her, I would have done the same. Well done to her. Also, I’ve read of a couple of incidents from colleagues recently of families that are split in WT+ and WT and trying to insist they must sit together. Seems like a ploy.

following their example, maybe I should have asked the gentleman in 64J to swap with my daughter 😛

i did go down stairs to check on her once we were in the air (one of the crew had told me what had happened) and made a point of asking daughter if the seat I’d chosen for her was OK, and got a filthy look from her seatmate for my pains....
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Lol people dont understand what a deal is or what. Its not a cardinal sin to offer a deal- you only hv to say yes or no.
when one insists upon rejection, or that one calls others a jerks for offering... thats over the line.

Or if one nees to be better off in order ti swap, i can offer a cent.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: Tesco Clubcard, Heathrow Rewards, M&S Sparks, Caffč Nero, HSBC rewards... BAEC defector
Originally Posted by kaka
Lol people dont understand what a deal is or what. Its not a cardinal sin to offer a deal- you only hv to say yes or no.
when one insists upon rejection, or that one calls others a jerks for offering... thats over the line.

Or if one nees to be better off in order ti swap, i can offer a cent.
I think people should just be careful when asking essentially for 'favours'. Should be offering a fair trade - given, of course, many people outside of FT and without similar hobbies probably wouldn't really know know the difference between 62A/K and any other window seat in the cabin, and would therefore think a window for a window is perhaps 'fair'.

It just makes it awkward for the person rejecting a request - especially if the request, to any average man, may seem to be merely for convenience and not causing too much of a detriment.

All in all, it's just a pity that the BA seat arrangement makes some CW seats so much less desirable than others.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold
IME, refusing to switch creates bad juju. I politely declined to move from 53E to an aisle seat on an A380 only to have two teenage girls talk over me the entire flight, which was extended by about 30 minutes circling Heathrow.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 07L 25R
All in all, it's just a pity that the BA seat arrangement makes some CW seats so much less desirable than others.
The hopping over people is a real pain, but even when the new aisle-access seats are installed (at some point in the distant future I expect ) there will still be desirable and less desirable seats... same as any airline
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:23 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
A few years ago I boarded a UA flight from IAD to CLT after a transatlantic sector. I had the exit row window on the connection to CLT and was looking forward to crashing out for an hour - but on boarding there was a girl in my seat and next to her was clearly her partner.

"Excuse me, you are in my seat" I politely said. Her response was, "but we are together and I want to sit here next to him" and gestured to her partner.
"I am sorry" I replied, but that is my seat and I did reserve it". Her next reply was remarkable! She turned to her partner and said, "Get the flight attendant over and we will just get him moved to another seat"

So the FA came over, the girl again pretty much demanded that I be moved because she wanted to sit with her partner but he politely and firmly told her she had to move, not me. After much tutting, stroppy comments and angry stares she eventually moved....but not until the CC had become very assertive and pretty much told her that if she did not take her allocated seat she would not be flying today. Have not seen such a display of "me-me-me" arrogance since from anyone - and this incident was probably 10 years ago now.

On the other hand, about 3 months ago I was asked by a bloke on HEL-LHR if I would move to his seat so he could sit next to a colleague and I gladly accepted because the offerer was in CE (seat 1C) and I was back in Y in something like 15D. Now those types of seat swap I DO like ^

Last edited by BOH; Apr 23, 2018 at 1:58 am Reason: It was on UA not AA
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Wow! That's astounding Fair play to you for sticking with it and getting your seat ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.