Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR - LAX 747 or A380 in WTP

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Swanhunter

Fair question. In WT+ the UD doesn’t feel cozy, it is simultaneously cramped and too big. The size (and likely passenger load) coupled with the quiet plane makes for a surprisingly noisy environment too - little white noise but lots of passenger interruption. Back rows also suffer from a lot of lav noise too.

A380 is acceptable in CW and pretty good in F, but would be my second last pick after a 52J 747 in WT+
I completely agree with this. The small WTP cabin on the 86J seat 747 is far better than the huge A380 WTP space.

Plus I imagine (but it’s only a guess and never guaranteed of course) as a solo traveller there’s a slight more chance for an OP-UP on the 747 86J.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by umba815
On the way home the 282 will be a 747 dep 15.30, the 280 a 787 dep 16.55 and the 268 the 380 dep 21.35.
I though it would be the 747 in the early route, but BA showing it will be a A380. Unless that’s a mistake??
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by JK17

I though it would be the 747 in the early route, but BA showing it will be a A380. Unless that’s a mistake??
Hi, I was initially surprised to find that the 283/282 rotation was a 747 during September as in the previous few years the 380 has still been plying the route in that month. I have quickly looked at the timetable and it appears that the 380 resumes the 283/282 on Oct 1st. Sorry for any confusion and should have checked your return date before blithely posting.

How long are you in PS? Should be cooling down a little for your trip.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by umba815
Hi, I was initially surprised to find that the 283/282 rotation was a 747 during September as in the previous few years the 380 has still been plying the route in that month. I have quickly looked at the timetable and it appears that the 380 resumes the 283/282 on Oct 1st. Sorry for any confusion and should have checked your return date before blithely posting.

How long are you in PS? Should be cooling down a little for your trip.
No worries mate!

Ultimately, either will be fine, it would just be good to experience the A380. So ideally, it would work out well for us on the return leg.

We will be there around a week, just for a bit of sun really. The other half's patents have a timeshare apartment there (somewhere).
umba815 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:13 am

Have a great time.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
The 747 will have the older (but likely refurbished with new IFE) WT+ product, the A380 will have the newer product. As others have said, the 747 is a smaller and more intimate cabin. The A380 has better cabin pressure, is quieter and the sidebins on the upper deck are useful. The added advantage of the A380 (I find) on an overnight return is it's quieter and generally a bit easier to sleep.

I personally prefer the A380. I'm flying on it myself in 4 weeks to LAX. But I'm also a big believer in selecting a flight based on the route/timing/price that works best for you, and aircraft type only a secondary consideration, so I think 747 out and A380 back is the right move if it suits your schedule and budget best.

Enjoy California!
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:49 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
I completely agree with this. The small WTP cabin on the 86J seat 747 is far better than the huge A380 WTP space.
Originally Posted by GM1985
As others have said, the 747 is a smaller and more intimate cabin
B747 4 rows @ 2-4-2 vs A380 7 rows @ 2-3-2. Laterally, the A380 is smaller and more 'intimate' than the B747.

The A380 also has the benefit of the side lockers by the A and K seats, which is a nice bonus locker- and table-space and significantly enhances the feeling of personal space. As the OP is travelling as a couple, I'd say the A380 A/B or J/K pair edges anything on the B747.
GM1985 likes this.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Apr 13, 2018 at 3:55 am
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
B747 4 rows @ 2-4-2 vs A380 7 rows @ 2-3-2. Laterally, the A380 is smaller and more 'intimate' than the B747.

The A380 also has the benefit of the side lockers by the A and K seats, which is a nice bonus locker- and table-space and significantly enhances the feeling on personal space. As the OP is travelling as a couple, I'd say the A380 A/B or J/K pair edges anything on the B747.
I agree with that. On paper, a 30-seat cabin appears more 'intimate' than a 55 seat cabin. But as you say, 2-3-2 layout means less people to a row. And If you're in the first few rows of WT+, you probably 'see' less people than a similar position on a B747. Not that it should really matter - I don't really get the need for 'intimate' on public transport I included that for balance only
Old Apr 13, 2018, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Not that it should really matter - I don't really get the need for 'intimate' on public transport ...
In all seriousness, one of the advantages of WT+ is that it is usually a much calmer cabin, without the restless nervous energy in economy. The bigger you make the WT+ cabin, the less calm it will tend to be.
Prospero and PETER01 like this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
In all seriousness, one of the advantages of WT+ is that it is usually a much calmer cabin, without the restless nervous energy in economy. The bigger you make the WT+ cabin, the less calm it will tend to be.
I totally understand why for some, it's an appeal and a consideration. For me, it's not something I recognise and I am a committed WT/+ traveller. But then again, I do tend to go in to a 'bubble' when flying - iPad out, noise-cancelling earphones on, water/snacks bought in airport out. But I certainly wouldn't rubbish the suggestion that for some, cabin intimacy is an important factor.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer

The A380 also has the benefit of the side lockers by the A and K seats, which is a nice bonus locker- and table-space and significantly enhances the feeling of personal space. As the OP is travelling as a couple, I'd say the A380 A/B or J/K pair edges anything on the B747.
Only 3 rows on the K side though and there are 9 rows in the middle section of the A380, it is a very large cabin I think. I agree re your comments re the A380 lockers/bins and space etc and I can see where Swanhunter is coming from but my own experiences were that the seat pitch is just the same etc and there is a handy little space down the side of the 747 WTP seats to 'jam' things in like a handbag, small rucksack etc. I also think the A380 takes longer than the 747 to get off then marching fast to immigration and there is an obvious difference between up to 470 ish pax compared to 275 ish.

As others have said though and in the OP's case I would take the most suitable flight for timings and getting into LAX on teh fiorst flight almost feels like you have a fullish day once you arrive.

One thing that does come out of these threads is how much we scrutinise fine details on everything, most of my family and friends just don't get it but then again we are a 'specific' bunch on here us Flyertalkers!

I agree with that. On paper, a 30-seat cabin appears more 'intimate' than a 55 seat cabin. But as you say, 2-3-2 layout means less people to a row. And If you're in the first few rows of WT+, you probably 'see' less people than a similar position on a B747. Not that it should really matter - I don't really get the need for 'intimate' on public transport I included that for balance only
Have you travelled in the 747 WTP cabin? That's not really the case in my view @ my bolding. I feel there is very little foot traffic in the 747 Super-J WTP cabin compared to the A380 one. I also just included that for balance only
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
Have you travelled in the 747 WTP cabin? That's not really the case in my view @ my bolding. I felt there was very little foot traffic in the 747 Super-J WTP cabin compared to the A380 one. I also just included that for balance only
I have, actually. In January on the Super-J version. A380 was a couple of years ago, in fairness, so my memory may be a little more hazy about that cabin. I suppose you may well be right about foot traffic. Although I was sat at the bulkhead on the 'A' side next to the curtain to CW and there was a semi-constant 'swoosh' of the curtain as crew moved around. Not that it bothered me though. They have a job to do. But I shall cheerfully amend my statement to say the 747 is better for intimacy (if that's your thing, it doesn't bother me). Still prefer the A380 though :P
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I have, actually. In January on the Super-J version. A380 was a couple of years ago, in fairness, so my memory may be a little more hazy about that cabin. I suppose you may well be right about foot traffic. Although I was sat at the bulkhead on the 'A' side next to the curtain to CW and there was a semi-constant 'swoosh' of the curtain as crew moved around. Not that it bothered me though. They have a job to do. But I shall cheerfully amend my statement to say the 747 is better for intimacy (if that's your thing, it doesn't bother me). Still prefer the A380 though :P
Ah thanks, I was just curious and it's always good to read of other peoples experiences. ^

You don't have to amend your statement etc and just giving my own view points, no big deal really on an IIB. I suppose I am just a bit nostalgic re the 747's and it will be a sad day when they go but times move on.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:54 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Globaliser
The B747 has an ensuite WC at the rear of the cabin in the place of a JK seat pair, so more passengers find themselves a lot closer to the toilet door, and it's restless, nervous queue ....

Swings and roundabouts, really.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
Ah thanks, I was just curious and it's always good to read of other peoples experiences. ^

You don't have to amend your statement etc and just giving my own view points, no big deal really on an IIB. I suppose I am just a bit nostalgic re the 747's and it will be a sad day when they go but times move on.
Totally agree. As a bit of a plane geek, the 747 is a truly remarkable plane and still makes my head turn whenever I see one take to the skies. The A380, on the other hand, is an aesthetic abomination. But once on the inside, I do find the A380 is a better passenger experience than the 747. It's a conflicting state of affairs...I want to hate the whalejet, but have to admit it is a comfortable ride.
PETER01 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.