Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG acquires 4.61% stake in Norwegian

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Calum
Tesla is 3 months away from going bust but people will still pump money in to it.
A very different business model and doesn’t require any fossil fuels therefore not really comparable. We all know that the future is electric vehicles. What we don’t know is the future of airtravel yet or the LCC sustainablilty. The constant squeezing of cost vs prices is incredibly volatile especially if there, as Raffles has said, an oil price hike, an accident or some severe downturn in air travel (terrorism, economic downturn).
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Tesla has positive operating margins.
That maybe true but at the moment they are the biggest legal ponzi scheme around. They use deposits from the model 3/roadster/semi to pay the costs of making the S/X/3, while losing $2B a year at the same time. They no longer have a monopoly on the EV's so with any luck, they'll die off soon. If there are people happy enough to pump money in to Tesla, they'll be people happy enough to pump money in to Norwegian.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
In all seriousness, Norwegian have a better Y product in short haul than BA I think. This could be a plus.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by Ldnn1

Ha, very funny. If you think the future of the 777s isn’t 10 across, irrespective of Norwegian, you must have some very pink spectacles.
Of course it will!
Norwegian has been IAGs bogeyman for some time, so if they're gone, who will replace them? The ME3 with their 10 across.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by skipness1E
In all seriousness, Norwegian have a better Y product in short haul than BA I think. This could be a plus.
It is far better, I flew a Swedish domestic 2 weeks go. The 737-8 has the super-large luggage bins so, despite everyone having big bags and huge coats, everything went in OK. No threats to stow bags in the hold. Surprisingly decent leg room. Not the most exciting BOB menu ever but I got a coffee for a couple of quid.
dodgeflyer likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
I wonder if they might consider integrating some of the Gatwick opps into BA? The offering is virtually the same on short haul
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:09 am

Could one possibility be merging Norwegian with Aer Lingus?

Both have Low cost transatlantic fares?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by AlanA
Could one possibility be merging Norwegian with Aer Lingus?

Both have Low cost transatlantic fares?
Everyone has low cost transatlantic fares now buddy!
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
I for one hope this is rejected by regulators. BA need to have greater competition in the UK where they exploit their position of dominance and provide poor products and poorer service.

This would not be good for consumers.
hugolover and Worcester like this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by binman
I for one hope this is rejected by regulators. BA need to have greater competition in the UK where they exploit their position of dominance and provide poor products and poorer service.

it won't be investigated as the relevant thresholds aren't met.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by binman

But you were ok with Lufthansa buying Air Berlin? What percentage of slots does LH have at FRA or Air France at CDG? And repeatedly LH has lobbied the German government to restrict access to the ME3.

BA operates in one of the most competitive home markets in the world. Not only does it have VS at LHR but it has Easyjet and Ryanair with much higher market share than France or Germany.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
...BA operates in one of the most competitive home markets in the world. Not only does it have VS at LHR...
It doesn’t have bmi to compete with at LHR.
It has far too many slot sitters at LHR.
It has too many cosy JV agreements at LHR.
On many long haul non stop routes it has only one other non JV airline to compete with.
Some routes it has already monopolised such as LHR-CPT.

It has its dominance at LHR well and truly sorted.

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Apr 12, 2018 at 7:11 am
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
BA operates in one of the most competitive home markets in the world. Not only does it have VS at LHR but it has Easyjet and Ryanair with much higher market share than France or Germany.
But no U2 and FR at LHR....

Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Norwegian doesn’t fly to LHR...
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
Norwegian doesn’t fly to LHR...
Yes I realised that once I’d hit the post button. But the post could be read like that. Obvs it should be clearer that it really means LGW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.