FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Madrid T4S Transfer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1903469-madrid-t4s-transfer.html)

internationalblue Apr 11, 2018 4:19 pm

Madrid T4S Transfer

Hi All,

Been lurking around for a while but finally got around to making an account so hi everyone! Almost shamefully for a first post I'm seeking advice on a flight connection at Madrid that I currently have on a hold booking with BA at the moment (in case it's a stupid idea and I should just take the hit and pay more to fly direct!)

I have a flight to Miami booked with a connection at Madrid:

BA0458 (BA) LHR to MAD - arriving in to MAD T4S at 1100
BA4261 (IB) MAD to MIA - departing MAD T4S at 1150

Three quick questions if I may:

1) Would you say a connection at T4S in Madrid between the two flights is manageable with 50 minutes to spare (assuming the flight lands into MAD on time!)?
2) Would my luggage presumably transfer from plane to plane? (Forgive me if this is really ignorant, I've never had need for a flight connection before).
3) Do the two flights credit TP separately?

Thanks in advance!

Ldnn1 Apr 11, 2018 5:33 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk, internationalblue. It's great to have you here.

1) It is definitely doable if your flight is on time, but even then it is still quite tight if your gates are at the far ends of T4S, which could mean a bit of a walk to and/or from the connection security point. Also factor in that if you are in economy, it may take a while to get off the plane itself. You might therefore consider paying for a seat towards the front, assuming you don't have free seat selection. IB gates officially close 15mins before departure (it says 20 on the website but 15 on BPs), so your connection time is really 35mins (although in practice doors probably won't close until nearer T-10).

All that said, I would generally be ok with this connection myself on a single ticket, knowing that if need be IB would rebook to get me there eventually. However if you absolutely must be in MIA on that day, then it's not a great idea.

2) Your luggage would be checked straight through, but there is a reasonable chance it won't make it. If I were you, I would really try and travel hand baggage only for this. If not, make sure you're able to manage in MIA without your bag if it gets left behind.

3) Yes, each flight credits separately.

Ldnn1 Apr 11, 2018 6:06 pm

By the way BA458 is the second service of the day - is the earlier one no good for you? That would definitely give a more comfortable connection.

internationalblue Apr 12, 2018 12:37 am

Thanks a lot for your reply, really appreciate it! The earlier flight didn't show up when booking but I'll double check. Thanks again!

Lost-in-Space Apr 12, 2018 2:23 am

Let me add my welcome internationalblue.

On point 1

Assuming your inbound arrives on time, there are a few factors to think about. Airbridge or remote stand?. Obviously if you park on a remote stand at T4S you will take longer to transit, and a few times I've been on a remote stand. (Anecdotally the first BA flight of the day, mentioned above by Ldnn1 and is a 767, does sometimes go to a remote stand.) Usually the BA flights do tend to be at the gates close to the central hub part of T4S (I cant recall the gate numbers now, as they have recently been renamed). But I have landed at the extreme South end of T4S and that adds time. I haven't done a T4S Int'l to Int'l, but the Int'l > Int'l security area has never looked busy. Keep in mind that if something does go wrong, there is an IB Transfer desk just before the Int'l security transfer point. Also you may have some extra security checks before you get to the gate, it being a US destination.

On point 2

It would be nice to think that your bags would make it. But I've had over two hours transit at T4 (admittedly Int'l to Domestic) and the bags never made it.

Ldnn1's suggestion about looking at the earlier BA flight makes a lot of sense.

bhbloke Apr 12, 2018 3:05 am

As you're staying in T4S it shouldn't be an issue, you'll see alot of other people making a dash for transfers as they disembark.

One thing to bear in mind, the Iberia staff on the ground (at the arrival gate) don't seem too fussed if you're late so won't generally call ahead to let them know you're running. It's only when you get to the departure gate of your next flight that they will care.

LupineChemist Apr 12, 2018 4:39 am

I live in Madrid so T4S is my second home. The connection is definitely doable.

The advice to get off the plane as fast as possible is definitely spot on. You'll want to get to security as fast as possible and then you will have to make it all the way to the north end of the terminal to go through the separate US security check. There will probably be a long line, don't be afraid to just ask in front and explain that you are on a connection and have to get to Miami.

I would be okay with this as there is a later flight to Miami or, worst case, get routed through JFK or another US gateway. If it's already booked, well then you can't really do anything about it but an earlier frequency would have been helpful.

BA6501 Apr 12, 2018 5:43 am

It's doable, maybe a bit less so for your bags, but you could look at taking the earlier LHR-MAD, or even the MAD-MIA 10 minutes later that is operated by American. There is also another IB flight to Miami at 16:30, IB6117.

LupineChemist Apr 12, 2018 5:45 am

Originally Posted by BA6501 (Post 29631618)
It's doable, maybe a bit less so for your bags, but you could look at taking the earlier LHR-MAD, or even the MAD-MIA 10 minutes later that is operated by American. There is also another IB flight to Miami at 16:30, IB6117.

If I were to bet, I'd bet the IB flight leaves later than the AA flight. AA is good about boarding on time and getting everyone on board and IB is...less so. It's usually accounted for in the block time, so you don't arrive late, but they are chronically 20 minutes late with getting everyone on board long haul.

internationalblue Apr 12, 2018 3:54 pm

Thanks a lot everyone - really appreciate all the tips! In the end the risk of not having bags meant I went for the direct flight (BA wouldn't let me use the earlier flight into MAD as a connection). Cheers!

BA6501 Apr 12, 2018 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by LupineChemist (Post 29631622)
If I were to bet, I'd bet the IB flight leaves later than the AA flight. AA is good about boarding on time and getting everyone on board and IB is...less so. It's usually accounted for in the block time, so you don't arrive late, but they are chronically 20 minutes late with getting everyone on board long haul.

Generally true, though in the last two months AA69 to Miami seems to have been on time about 2 or 3 times only :eek:

Pascoe Apr 16, 2018 6:07 am

+1 for the idea of getting the earlier flight. BA456 is the one you're looking for (it's a regular ride for me - will be on it bleary eyed tomorrow). That would leave you ample time to make your leisurely way through the terminal. And of you have OW lounge access, the T4S lounge is one of the best for views - right out on to the apron, with floor to ceiling windows, so if you don't fancy shopping it's a great spot for a coffee.

PJSMITH0 Apr 16, 2018 6:48 am

As a past resident of Spain I used Madrid quite often and I would also advise the earlier flight if possible. The connection is doable but from my experience luggage is likely to be delayed. The baggage delivery driver at ALC was on first name terms with me :D

Ldnn1 Apr 16, 2018 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Pascoe (Post 29645606)
+1 for the idea of getting the earlier flight.

Originally Posted by PJSMITH0 (Post 29645695)
I would also advise the earlier flight if possible.

OP opted for a direct flight from London. :)

nozmeister Apr 16, 2018 9:30 am

+1 for taking hand luggage. My luggage has failed to make flights numerous times with connections this short at Madrid.