Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What are the chances of protecting the return leg of flight missed due to illness?

What are the chances of protecting the return leg of flight missed due to illness?

Old Apr 11, 18, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member

I have a trip away planned this weekend with Mrs NeverFirst but she's come down with a really nasty cold and doesn't want to fly on Friday but has decided she should be able to fly on Saturday.
Having explored the alternatives (short of cancelling the trip and losing 100% of booking cost, inc hotel) the best bet is that I fly on original booking and I book a reward flight for her to join me on Saturday.

The choices then are;
  • Book a reward flight for her return as well on the original flight (she loses both legs of her original flight booking).
  • Book a reward flight out, a reward flight back (2 separate rewards), plead/explain the situation at check-in on Friday, if they protect her return I'll cancel her return reward and redeposit the Avios (for a service charge).
  • Book a reward flight for the outbound, plead/explain the situation at check-in on Friday, see if they will protect her return flight, and if they don't then book a reward for the return (if still available).
If there's a reasonable chance that they would protect her return I'll save as much money as possible (less than £100) and just book a one-way reward for her, so my question is "what are the chances that check-in can/will protect her return?"

In case it makes any difference, I'm Gold, Mrs NF is Silver and the booking is BA Holidays in economy.
Old Apr 11, 18, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Her travel insurance ought to cover the cost of the ticket, allowing her to purchase whatever she wants.

If you want to try the "protecting" the return, do that in advance. Highly unlikely to work, but more likely via phone than at the airport, because this involves cancelling and reissuing the ticket as a single and waiving fees. A lot will depend on the flexibility associated with the ticket as well.
Old Apr 11, 18, 9:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
If the au pair bears any resemblance to Mrs NF, give the au pair your wifeís passport and take her instead!
babats and thunderlounge like this.
Old Apr 11, 18, 9:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Because it's a BA Holidays flight, different policies may apply there. I would call the BA Holidays dedicated number and discuss it with them, perhaps tomorrow, when you will perhaps know more clearly how your poorly wife is doing. I would mention that you are OK to buy an RFS.
NeverFirst likes this.
Old Apr 11, 18, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Her travel insurance ought to cover the cost of the ticket, allowing her to purchase whatever she wants.
Sadly not - the doctor said "you're OK to fly, it's just discomfort, not life-threatening, so I'm not going to give you a certificate for it and even if I did I'd charge you".
And as it's a BA Holiday I'm not sure of the intricacies of removing one traveller from the booking while retaining the other traveller plus hotel. (And booking an RFS is about the same cost as the excess on the insurance policy and a *lot* less hassle!)
Old Apr 11, 18, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Make sure she stays in bed with plenty of covers and a large hot toddy or three. A good nights sweat and she'll feel much better by tomorrow.

If that doesn't work follow the above advice from c-w-s. Hope she makes it.....where are you going anyway?
Old Apr 11, 18, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by NeverFirst View Post
Sadly not - the doctor said "you're OK to fly, it's just discomfort, not life-threatening, so I'm not going to give you a certificate for it and even if I did I'd charge you".
And as it's a BA Holiday I'm not sure of the intricacies of removing one traveller from the booking while retaining the other traveller plus hotel. (And booking an RFS is about the same cost as the excess on the insurance policy and a *lot* less hassle!)
You should check what the insurance says though. If you have the Amex Plat insurance for example, there is nothing in the T&Cs that says it has to be a "life-threatening condition". If I recall correctly, it's more along the lines of "unforeseen illness". May be worth checking and going to another doctor.
Old Apr 11, 18, 9:49 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Get well soon Mrs NeverFirst ^
Old Apr 11, 18, 9:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by mec72 View Post
You should check what the insurance says though. If you have the Amex Plat insurance for example, there is nothing in the T&Cs that says it has to be a "life-threatening condition". If I recall correctly, it's more along the lines of "unforeseen illness". May be worth checking and going to another doctor.
Given what the doctor has indicated, I suspect a cold might be regarded as an exclusion under the heading of 'disinclination to travel'. The question is this, does the common cold constitute an 'unforeseen illness'. A medical certificate would be required and that should indicate the illness made the cancellation of the trip 'necessary'.
Old Apr 11, 18, 10:34 am

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
I second the advice from CWS. As this is a BA Holidays booking I'd give the duty office a call in the morning. I once had a similar situation and they moved the flight for me without charge as G class was still available on the flight I wanted to move to.
Old Apr 11, 18, 2:09 pm

Agreed - give them a call. Until you speak to then you won't know what you can and can't do. Otherwise it's all just speculation.

Worst case it's a matter for your insurers, best case you might get a change.
Old Apr 11, 18, 9:24 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Check in canít protect bookings (unless itís a Reservations skilled agent who is covering check in).... you need to go to the ticket desk.

BA Holidays or not, if you no show a sector / donít fly them in sequence, the return is cancelled.

In my opinion, BA Holidays are just as flexible (or not) as the reservations agents at the airport..... so its up to you how you tackle the situation.

To split the booking etc isnít an issue at the airport so donít let it being done last minute at the airport be a deciding factor in the approach you take.
Old Apr 12, 18, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks, everybody, especially C-W-S and ptr120. A call to BA Holidays (with a long wait) who transferred me to the duty office (because departure is tomorrow) led to a very helpful young man who, in about 30 seconds, said "yes, that's all fine, the return is protected".

I'm not sure if it helped that I had already booked the RFS for the outbound, or if being gold helped, but there was no problem and no questions!
Old Apr 12, 18, 5:32 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by NeverFirst View Post
Thanks, everybody, especially C-W-S and ptr120. A call to BA Holidays (with a long wait) who transferred me to the duty office (because departure is tomorrow) led to a very helpful young man who, in about 30 seconds, said "yes, that's all fine, the return is protected".

I'm not sure if it helped that I had already booked the RFS for the outbound, or if being gold helped, but there was no problem and no questions!

So far I have nothing but consistent good service from the BA Holidays Team good to see that is still the case.
Old Apr 12, 18, 5:41 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life
In the past when I've had a cold, I've found Oltravine useful a few minutes before the top of the descent for helping relieve the pressure in the ears caused by congestion.
NeverFirst likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: