Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American express premium plus - pre-overpayment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American express premium plus - pre-overpayment

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by cgtechuk
Like anything else I would put a lot of this down to risk, I have seen people limits drop as well as go up. Anyway buying a car with a Credit Card doesnt sound like a great choice, But hey who am I to question others.
I think most people would concur if you were talking about the card as just a way of getting credit, there are usually far cheaper options out there. But if you're doing it for the rewards, and paying off the balance so you don't incur interest, it might well make sense depending on how you value those rewards - there are, after all, whole sites dedicated to this sort of thing. Obviously it requires good discipline, and I wouldn't be surprised to find card issuers giving deliberately higher limits in an attempt to encourage consumers to be a little more lax, and hopefully get some interest from them.

Originally Posted by se1lad
In that case my monthly salary should be roughly £33,100!
But you'll be damned if you're taking the pay cut!?
se1lad and cgtechuk like this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
I think most people would concur if you were talking about the card as just a way of getting credit, there are usually far cheaper options out there. But if you're doing it for the rewards, and paying off the balance so you don't incur interest, it might well make sense depending on how you value those rewards - there are, after all, whole sites dedicated to this sort of thing. Obviously it requires good discipline, and I wouldn't be surprised to find card issuers giving deliberately higher limits in an attempt to encourage consumers to be a little more lax, and hopefully get some interest from them.

But you'll be damned if you're taking the pay cut!?
This is true, at 33k a month wonder if they need an accountant
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: BA, KL, DL
Anyway buying a car with a Credit Card doesnt sound like a great choice.
He wasn't actually buying a car. Just wanted to test if Amex would increase the limit for such a young lad with no income. And they did!
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:44 am

They put the limit up over time- there must be a set process as both mine and my husbands tend to go up at about the same time (opened about a month apart originally).

Out of interest does anyone know if Amex BA credit limits ever exceed £30,000?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:33 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
From what I have learnt the credit limit typically approved is 1.5x gross monthly Salary as a credit limit and as has been mentioned before to get more cash available bank transfer the money to AMEX account so it gets an inflated positive then make the required purchase.

Simple
I wish. My OH was approved for around £12k. Her monthly salary is nowhere near £8k
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: BA Gfl / GGL + CCR , Amex Platinum, Amex BA Premium Plus
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
They put the limit up over time- there must be a set process as both mine and my husbands tend to go up at about the same time (opened about a month apart originally).

Out of interest does anyone know if Amex BA credit limits ever exceed £30,000?
Mine is just under £50k
Old Apr 12, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
I seem to recal reading somewhere that if you load your card in advance to pay for something over and above your credit limit that your statutory rights are disadvantaged in some way..

Originally Posted by strichener
This is incorrect, your section 75 rights apply to the entire purchase when the card is used to pay at least £100 of the cost and the total purchase price is £30,000 or less.
I checked and your rights ARE effected as I suspected but on the Amex charge cards only not the Ba card the OP originally asked about. Charge card are not covered by S75 legislation and my advice would be to check with your card provider to comfirm how your rights are affected when paying with a positive balance , ie your own money.

Appologies for not having the correct information to hand initially.

Last edited by sunshinebob; Apr 12, 2018 at 4:18 pm
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by strichener
This is incorrect, your section 75 rights apply to the entire purchase when the card is used to pay at least £100 of the cost and the total purchase price is £30,000 or less. If, for example, you were purchasing a £25k car, you can pay a £100 deposit on your credit card and your protection extends to the entire £25k, regardless of who the other £24,900 was financed.
This is (also) slightly incorrect.

The total value of the purchase has to be more than £100. You could put as little as £0.01 on a card - as long as the total cost is over £100, you would be protected under S75.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:09 pm

I made a £38k purchase last year on mine.

I asked Amex in advance, they said no pre-loading, so I never tried it. The retailer just split the total and I paid in a couple of transactions , clearing the balance each time via bank transfer

Will depend on on what you are buying and the retailer I guess.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:38 am

Thanks, that is helpful.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, Marriott Ambassador
I have a £50k limit on my BA Amex. I plan on proposing next month, so it certainly came in handy buying the ring, the week in Maldives and J flights for the two of us (sadly no mileage run). So far this month I have earnt 48,000 Avios on it
Old Apr 14, 2018, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Thanks all for the information - just to close this off as far as I am concerned my new AMEX arrived today and rather amusingly the limit is just (£250) over the figure I first mentioned - I wonder whether they were reading this thread?
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.