Flights to Melbourne, What route is best?

Reply

Old Apr 9, 18, 4:15 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, Le Club Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 937
I did BA OSL-LHR-SIN-SYD-MEL return in J last year and it was 1.7k. I really enjoyed the SYD-MEL leg in J with QF (it was my first ever flight with them). Got some great photos as we flew over Sydney harbour. I've been very happy with QF domestic flights ever since, whether in J or Y.
bibbju is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 18, 4:21 pm
  #17  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Edinburgh
Programs: IB Gold, BA Silver , Priority Pass, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 627
Originally Posted by bibbju View Post
I did BA OSL-LHR-SIN-SYD-MEL return in J last year and it was 1.7k. I really enjoyed the SYD-MEL leg in J with QF (it was my first ever flight with them). Got some great photos as we flew over Sydney harbour. I've been very happy with QF domestic flights ever since, whether in J or Y.
How were the BA Flights? I would love to see the pictures sometime if you get a chance

tomparskate is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 18, 4:30 pm
  #18  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 34,078
Originally Posted by tinkicker View Post
Just be aware that ITA Matrix is showing quite a lot of CX availability from LHR to MEL in I class (circa 3K) that doesn't seem to be there. I'm looking at some flights for late April for a meeting (out 24th back 28th) and ITA showing lots of 3,100 options on CX but the cheapest CX web or phone availability is more like 5.5K. It's been a frustrating day!
At a guess, that's likely to be because of CX's married sector logic. ITA pulls availability sector-by-sector, but when you come to try to book, you need the married sector availability. ITA may see I9 and I9 when asking for the flights separately, but if you ask for LHR-HKG-MEL as one journey it may be I0 on both flights.

ExpertFlyer sees the married sector results better. See this recent post for an example on another airline: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trav...l#post29598902.
Globaliser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 18, 5:15 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Glasgow and Asia
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Posts: 414
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
At a guess, that's likely to be because of CX's married sector logic. ITA pulls availability sector-by-sector, but when you come to try to book, you need the married sector availability. ITA may see I9 and I9 when asking for the flights separately, but if you ask for LHR-HKG-MEL as one journey it may be I0 on both flights.

ExpertFlyer sees the married sector results better. See this recent post for an example on another airline: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trav...l#post29598902
the link doesn't work because there is a stop at the end. I've edited it so the link works.
GlasgowCyclops is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 18, 5:47 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 521
Originally Posted by gliderpilot View Post
You could use miles rather than pay for an internal. I recently flew SYD-MEL in LH J for just 9000 miles and 10. An absolute bargain! The QF J seat on teh A330 is amazingly good, beating CW hands down. A shame the flight wasn't longer!
I was going to say the same. Loads of points availability between SYD-MEL, and the taxes are very low.

As a regular on this route, I usually fly to MEL via SIN in one direction and HKG doing a stopover in each way.
Forever in Seattle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 18, 5:57 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Staffs
Programs: BAEC, Etihad Guest, Platinum Tesco Tart
Posts: 561
Not OW and in no way related to BA but what about EY?
SaraJH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 18, 9:26 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 371
You should try looking at fares on the new CX services from Europe. Though they are not daily, they are offering some decent fares from DUB/BRU and CPH without the ex-EU bit. I have booked an AKL-DUB with HKG stopover and CAN side trip on KA for about GBP3,000 - a pretty good deal down here. I can see an ex-CPH for about GBP2,900 to MEL.
CHCflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 18, 10:24 pm
  #23  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA CCR, A3 G, Aclub Plat, Hilton D, IC Plat Amb, Starwood G, blablablah, etc
Posts: 22,931
Up to you but quite frankly, given the costs etc involved, I personally could not care less whether to book OW or not. The likes of VN, KE, Chinese airlines, and Middle Eastern competitors like EY often have excellent (much cheaper) deals with excellent products. the cheapest OW are tyoically QR during sales but the itinerary via South East or East Asia are actually far more pleasant (note: I do returns between Europe and Oz/NZ at least 3-4 times a year so have almost tried them all).
orbitmic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 18, 10:42 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 371
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
Up to you but quite frankly, given the costs etc involved, I personally could not care less whether to book OW or not. The likes of VN, KE, Chinese airlines, and Middle Eastern competitors like EY often have excellent (much cheaper) deals with excellent products. the cheapest OW are tyoically QR during sales but the itinerary via South East or East Asia are actually far more pleasant (note: I do returns between Europe and Oz/NZ at least 3-4 times a year so have almost tried them all).
That probably works for you as you seem to have status with all three alliances, so can afford to be airline indifferent. I am fortunate to have status with *A and OW as SkyTeam has poor representation down here in AKL, let alone the spending options (a weekend in Noumea or Brisbane is the cheapest options) so I can understand that on a trip to Australia from the UK one would want to maximize one's earning ability if the OP has status with just one of the alliances.
CHCflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 18, 11:00 pm
  #25  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA CCR, A3 G, Aclub Plat, Hilton D, IC Plat Amb, Starwood G, blablablah, etc
Posts: 22,931
Originally Posted by CHCflyer View Post
That probably works for you as you seem to have status with all three alliances, so can afford to be airline indifferent. I am fortunate to have status with *A and OW as SkyTeam has poor representation down here in AKL, let alone the spending options (a weekend in Noumea or Brisbane is the cheapest options) so I can understand that on a trip to Australia from the UK one would want to maximize one's earning ability if the OP has status with just one of the alliances.
Very true, but it is worth pointing out that on that sort of distance from Europe, we might be talking at a price difference of 1,000-2,00 on the cheapest fares, ie even up t doubling. Moreover the OP seems to ideally want to go from the UK and the cheapest VN fares (and frequently the cheapest CI, GA, and various Chinese airlines fares) are typically from London, so for instance, LGW-MEL for 1,500 in J with fully flat product throughout, good times, excellent services, and the option of a free stopover in lovely Ho Chi Minh or Hanoi is not an infrequent occurrence at all.

This means that in effect whilst the ideal of maximising TP collection is understandable, this may well come at the cost of doubling the cheapest travel cost available to the OP as well as making his/her trip more risky (ex-third country meaning no protection between separate bookings) and significantly less convenient. He/she is obviously able to decide fro him/herself what to do in the end but I thought it was important to mention that those airlines can often offer much better value than OW so that he/she can check them and decide whether the TP/avios value is or is not worth it on a case by case basis.
SoggyDollar likes this.
orbitmic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 18, 11:28 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 371
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
Very true, but it is worth pointing out that on that sort of distance from Europe, we might be talking at a price difference of 1,000-2,00 on the cheapest fares, ie even up t doubling. Moreover the OP seems to ideally want to go from the UK and the cheapest VN fares (and frequently the cheapest CI, GA, and various Chinese airlines fares) are typically from London, so for instance, LGW-MEL for 1,500 in J with fully flat product throughout, good times, excellent services, and the option of a free stopover in lovely Ho Chi Minh or Hanoi is not an infrequent occurrence at all.

This means that in effect whilst the ideal of maximising TP collection is understandable, this may well come at the cost of doubling the cheapest travel cost available to the OP as well as making his/her trip more risky (ex-third country meaning no protection between separate bookings) and significantly less convenient. He/she is obviously able to decide fro him/herself what to do in the end but I thought it was important to mention that those airlines can often offer much better value than OW so that he/she can check them and decide whether the TP/avios value is or is not worth it on a case by case basis.
Quite right and a fair point, and additionally the differential could almost justify taking a partner (I think CZ offers 50% off partner fares in J). But I would prefer to take a Vietnamese, a Pudong or even a Taoyuan option with status knowing that they may have more motivation to help me out in the event of a misconn than without.
orbitmic likes this.
CHCflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 18, 11:42 pm
  #27  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA CCR, A3 G, Aclub Plat, Hilton D, IC Plat Amb, Starwood G, blablablah, etc
Posts: 22,931
Originally Posted by CHCflyer View Post
Quite right and a fair point, and additionally the differential could almost justify taking a partner (I think CZ offers 50% off partner fares in J). But I would prefer to take a Vietnamese, a Pudong or even a Taoyuan option with status knowing that they may have more motivation to help me out in the event of a misconn than without.
very true. to me, the no1 point of status is better protection for IRROPS. That said, in my experience, this mostly applies to 'own' frequent flyers rather than in alliance so arguably this may mean coughing up for BA rather than partners. I've had appalling experiences with QR and LX for instance, despite OWE and *AG. I've known CI to be great even with non FF members. VN I only experienced as STE+ (they were great) so can't say how they are with non status pax. Chinese airlines, however, as you point out, I would recommend having very low expectations... However, class of travel matters a lot in IRROPS handling and the op would be flying J.

Additionally, I would point out that the fewer flights let alone itineraries, the lower the risk and the lower the need for good irrops handling. I would personally feel much more secure and likely to be helped flying LON-XXX-MEL on one ticket in J in an airline with which I have zero status (say, EY) than flying on two separate tickets BA LHR-ARN then QR ARN-DOH-MEL even if both in J and as OWE and GGL/CCR. In case 1, the airline has a clear obligation to help. In case 2, they owe you nothing and good luck to you (and tales of problems and horror stories and stressful near disasters are numerous).

Last edited by orbitmic; Apr 9, 18 at 11:50 pm
orbitmic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 18, 2:21 am
  #28  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 34,078
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops View Post
the link doesn't work because there is a stop at the end. I've edited it so the link works.
OT, but thank you.

That is odd, because I deliberately posted the code so that the full stop was outside the [url] and [/url] tags, so that it isn't part of the hyperlink - which it isn't when I look at the post.
Globaliser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 18, 6:52 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 52
Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post
MEL is consistently 30 flight from SYD. If you can get a decent OW to SYD exEU grab that
Originally Posted by libertyuk View Post
QR from ARN or OSL, but also had BA from OSL via (LHR obv) then SIN or HKG (HKG-MEL in CX usually, SIN-MEL QF or SIN-SYD-MEL BA/QF) for 2200-2400. Sometimes CX is similar too, but also via LHR. Going through HKG the lounges are excellent with CX and QF.

Bear in mind if you can get SYD, BNE or ADL, the domestic flight to MEL can be booked fairly cheaply separately (but only in Y, C fares domestically in Australia are often 3-6x Y). Cheap QR can be found to ADL, SYD is harder to get good ex.EU J fares.
Originally Posted by jerub View Post
Don't be afraid of the SYD-MEL leg if you book oneworld and do the last leg as SYD-MEL: Qantas runs so many flights between the east coast cities and their irregular operations are very efficient. If you're delayed you just go to a transfer desk and Qantas staff will happily just issue you BPs for the next flight you can make and move you.

This was my experience booking through BA, flying with a random smattering of BA/CX/QF codeshares.
I usually book an open-jaw to/from MEL/BNE/SYD, pick whatever is cheapest/works best for the holiday plans and fill in the gaps with Qantas flights purchased with Avios. Eg: SYD - MEL is 4500 Avios economy / 9000 business + 7 tax. Availability is very good and flights usually go every hour if not more frequently sometimes.
sonofzeus and libertyuk like this.
trolleymusic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 18, 7:01 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold; LH Senator; HHGold; Starwood Platinum
Posts: 1,288
Oslo is your friend. I prefer BA A380 to HKG, then CX down.

SIN is OK but the 2nd leg isn't so good for me.

I did Ex OSL on SQ all the way last month via CPH, and arriving at night was better for me than the morning. I wasn't jet lagged at all. Coming back I broke in SIN and did the day flight back to London. Id do this again.

My target price is 2k, and I've had it as low as 1,600
ukgooner is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: