Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA INCEU60 AMS BKK checked baggage queries

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Interesting, thank you. I'm almost tempted to give it a try, but I get the impression that Phil the Flyer is volunteering.
I’m actually hoping for a QR sale before the end of May (for outbound travel at the end of July); this is a back-up plan if such a sale doesn’t materialise.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Given that INCEU60 is supposed to be AMS BKK and vv it seems strange that one would be allowed to spend as little as one hour in BKK, and not even get off the aircraft.
But at least you are flying through the city that's written as the destination of your ticket. So it's not as strange as some of the other things that are routinely done.

It's also not hard to think of ways to re-write the minimum stay rule to make sure that the ticketed destination is actually at least a real destination of sorts. There are plenty of other BA fares that have more stringent provisions written in to try to make sure that they are used as intended. And it's not hard to foresee that the minimum stay rule (or other parts of the rules) could get re-written if this exploit were to become well used. So one possibility is that the ability to do this is all part of the numbers game that is inherent in the industry.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:31 pm

Are the 777s to BKK really that bad?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Virazuno
Are the 777s to BKK really that bad?
See the discussion here:
LHR TO BKK - still old 777s?!
Bangkok 777 refurb
LHR-BKK Fleet
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Am aware of the disucssion. My point was - is it worth the hassle just to avoid the BKK 777 (and it's timings)? That is, perhaps, more of the same discussion as the above rather than the discussion of this thread, I concede.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Virazuno
Am aware of the disucssion. My point was - is it worth the hassle just to avoid the BKK 777 (and it's timings)? That is, perhaps, more of the same discussion as the above rather than the discussion of this thread, I concede.
I would avoid the old 777's with the old entertainment system and have on other routes. On a long flight like this, I would certainly consider any other viable option including times that were less convenient.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Looking at the flight details on EF, I don't think it will work

SIN-HKG on CX712 is a valid flight, but for SIN-BKK plus BKK-HKG as a separate segment, it fails to meet the MCT

Booked as a single segment SIN-HKG, then it would not allow BKK to be the destination
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Many posters are more expert than me onfare construction.
The way I understand your ticket (and you are not sure that BA will sell it, is a AMS-BKK-AMS ticket with BKK being your "official" final destination. However, your "true" destination is Hong Kong, which is stopover on the way back.
Id so, I would strongly doubt that BA will tag the bag to HKG. Option 2 is infeasible. No way that you can claim your bag and recheck while the ac makes a one hour stop in BKK. You remain with Option1. BA is not prone to short-check but you have a good overnight case..

But I have serious doubts that BA would issue your ticket on CX712
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Booked as a single segment SIN-HKG, then it would not allow BKK to be the destination
However, ITA will price this as a one-way trip, as I found yesterday, which seems to be written as a connection:

Fare Construction (can be useful to travel agents)
SIN CX X/BKK CX HKG 1309.73DAAROSG8 NUC 1309.73 END ROE 1.317826 XT 8.00OO 6.10OP 19.90SG 1.50E7 41.00YR
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Looking at the flight details on EF, I don't think it will work

SIN-HKG on CX712 is a valid flight, but for SIN-BKK plus BKK-HKG as a separate segment, it fails to meet the MCT

Yes, this is the point I tried to make earlier. It must be sellable as a "single" trip or even as a kind of open jaw, otherwise CX would have empty aircraft. But I have my doubts that it would pass the ticketing rules that underpin BA's computers when it's an end-on to a wider itinerary. A travel agent may be able to crash it through however. They key point is that just because it shows up on ITA doesn't guarantee you can get a ticket laid out the same way.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
They key point is that just because it shows up on ITA doesn't guarantee you can get a ticket laid out the same way.
A point I referred to in my initial post - ‘One INCEU60 option offered by ITA (not yet confirmed on BA’s website) ...’

My initial post was a checked baggage-related query. Confirming itinerary availability on the airline’s website was going to be my next step. In the event, after reading the posts on this thread a <24 hour BKK stopover may be more sensible (as well as convenient as it relates to HKG arrival time).
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
My initial post was a checked baggage-related query. Confirming itinerary availability on the airline’s website was going to be my next step. In the event, after reading the posts on this thread a <24 hour BKK stopover may be more sensible (as well as convenient as it relates to HKG arrival time).
Yes it's always good when you can turn potential road blocks into interesting diversions. There are worse places to spend a day. The fact it's an extra 40 TPs is but a mere bagatelle.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:24 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
If the stopover is less than 24hr, would this fare still work since it might be considered a transit?

Just wondering how the fare rules work.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There are worse places to spend a day.

BKK? That depends whether you’re travelling alone or not.

As much as we love Thailand as a tourist destination we’ve visited Bangkok enough times in the past to have grown a bit tired of it.

​​​​​​​sxc - <24 hour stopovers appear to be allowed (even a 1 hour stopover). However it’s not the end of the world if, upon booking, a >24 hour stopover is stipulated.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sxc
If the stopover is less than 24hr, would this fare still work since it might be considered a transit?

Just wondering how the fare rules work.
yes it's allowed. the minimum stay does not require you to spend a night in BKK.

The full fare rules are linked to from the TP run thread wiki.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.