Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA INCEU60 AMS BKK checked baggage queries

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
BA INCEU60 AMS BKK checked baggage queries

Thanks to some extremely knowledgeable posters (you know who you are, thank you) on this forum I have been made aware of the fare detailed in the title of this thread.

In the current absence of any QR sale fares (even their most recent sale fares had summer 2018 blackout periods) I have been investigating INCEU60 itineraries on ITA. With an ultimate required destination of HKG (not BKK) I have been able to construct the following itinerary for EUR1,600 / GBP1,400 (to include a six week HKG stopover) - which is a pretty decent OW J fare during the summer months:

BA AMS LHR
BA LHR SIN
CX SIN BKK
CX BKK HKG
BA HKG LHR
BA LHR AMS

So far, so good. My queries relate to checked baggage.

1. Upon AMS check-in will BA only check bags to SIN, due to change of airline in SIN (21 hour stopover in SIN)?
2. Upon AMS check-in will BA check bags to BKK (as, in accordance with INCEU60, BKK is the ultimate destination)?
3. One INCEU60 option offered by ITA (not yet confirmed on BA’s website) is SIN BKK HKG with both flights on CX712, with just a one hour stopover in BKK (1325hrs-1500hrs / 1600hrs-1955hrs). On such an itinerary, upon AMS check-in will BA check bags to HKG?

For the least hassle option 3 would be favourite. If option 1 prevails it will be interesting to know whether upon SIN check-in CX will check bags to HKG - it would be impossible to claim and re-check bags in BKK during a one hour stopover! Thank you.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You should be offered BKK as the destination which will show up on their system. You would normally be offered SIN as an alternative since that would count as an overnight stop. I can't see how long the BKK Option 1 stopover is so there may be other options.

You don't want a 1 hour connection in BKK, it's just too spread out an airport for that. BA.com won't show it since that needs 2 hours as a default MCT. In any event I think the real MCT is 1 hr 15 minutes and that's fairly tight.

Also note that just about the only downsides of SIN as an airport is that along with (as it happens) HKG and BKK they have a ropey interlining baggage computer system, so always check with CX they have got the bags. This is often manually checked (they will typically take your tags in the lounge for example, and make some calls). I would be tempted to collect in SIN unless missing your bags for a few days wasn't an issue.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You don't want a 1 hour connection in BKK, it's just too spread out an airport for that. BA.com won't show it since that needs 2 hours as a default MCT. In any event I think the real MCT is 1 hr 15 minutes and that's fairly tight.
AIUI, it would not be intended in reality to be a true connection in BKK. The routing would be SIN-BKK-HKG on the direct stopping flight, hence the 60 minute stop at BKK. But the ticket would be fared with BKK as the destination (end of fare component 1, beginning of fare component 2).

You can price SIN-BKK-HKG on those two flights (with the 60-minute "connection") as a standalone one-way trip that is fared using a single one-way fare component, which suggests that 60 minutes is a legal MCT for this (even though I can't find it on EF, which says 75 minutes as you say). But I don't know whether the baggage system would have a meltdown trying to tag the bag accordingly; logically one would tag it as CX712 SIN-HKG but that wouldn't match the way the ticket is written.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
My preference (crap aircraft notwithstanding) would be to take BA9, connecting to CX717, with a 2-hour layover in BKK, then have your "stopover" in SIN, and then just take the usual BA12 to get back to London/Amsterdam.

If your main destination is HKG, I'd suggest flying to HKG on BA31 then either overnighting in BKK or (if you're feeling brave/can cope with being redirected back through HKG) CX705 then BA10 on the day flight.

For SIN, don't forget that you can bypass BKK altogether by booking MXP (or elsewhere in Italy)-LHR-SIN for £1,553.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Many thanks for the replies so far. BA9 / BA10 is a non-starter (crap aircraft to be avoided).

Please allow me to be a little more specific. Having, say, checked-in at AMS and flown AMS LHR the itinerary that is currently of interest is:

Day 1: BA11 LHR SIN 1955 1605+1
Day 3: CX712 SIN BKK 1325 1500
Day 3: CX712 BKK HKG1600 1955

So 21 hours between flights in SIN, 1 hour between flights in BKK!

I’m surprised INCEU60 actually permits just a 1 hour ‘visit’ to BKK, but ITA is showing it as a valid itinerary.

So the question remains - what is the furthest destination along the itinerary that baggage can be checked-in? The ideal answer would be HKG.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:09 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Day 1: BA11 LHR SIN 1955 1605+1
Day 3: CX712 SIN BKK 1325 1500
Day 3: CX712 BKK HKG1600 1955

OK, thanks for the clarity. Assuming this can be ticketed (a big assumption) you are essentially on CX712 to HKG which stops off in BKK. Note you will only get SIN-HKG TPs not two flights, unless you break the trip in BKK. So I would say you should be able to get checked luggage from AMS to HKG directly. I still think reclaiming in SIN would greatly reduce the risk of delayed luggage, but given you would be in HKG you'd probably only be without the bags for a few hours. Or (since it's just a few weeks) go HBO!
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

OK, thanks for the clarity. Assuming this can be ticketed (a big assumption) you are essentially on CX712 to HKG which stops off in BKK. Note you will only get SIN-HKG TPs not two flights, unless you break the trip in BKK. So I would say you should be able to get checked luggage from AMS to HKG directly. I still think reclaiming in SIN would greatly reduce the risk of delayed luggage, but given you would be in HKG you'd probably only be without the bags for a few hours. Or (since it's just a few weeks) go HBO!
Hmmm, interesting thought about SIN HKG TPs. A 16-20 hour BKK stopover might be worthwhile after all.

Actually the enquiry is, at least initially, for my wife and son - they would travel onwards HKG CEB CX J on a cheap Avios ticket (15k Avios + £28 one way). My son is rather partial to The Pier F burgers, my wife can’t travel anywhere HBO!

Thank you once again for the replies.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Assuming this can be ticketed (a big assumption) you are essentially on CX712 to HKG which stops off in BKK. Note you will only get SIN-HKG TPs not two flights, unless you break the trip in BKK.
Even if the ticket has SIN-BKK on one coupon, and BKK-HKG on the next coupon? And I think that it has to be like that, because BKK is the break point between fare components.

Last edited by Globaliser; Feb 27, 2019 at 8:53 am
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Even if the ticket has SIN-BKK on one coupon, and BKK-HKG on the next coupon?
There's only one boarding pass, it's the one in SIN and that triggers the TP and Avios. The coupon extension is under the radar in this context. I suspect a TA or CX could possibly ticket the ITA proposal, but I doubt BA can.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Even if the ticket has SIN-BKK on one coupon, and BKK-HKG on the next coupon? And I think that it has to be like that, because BKK is the break point between fare components.

Globaliser​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ - that’s exactly the itinerary (and price) I’ve been looking at, albeit with different dates.

It’s currently by far the cheapest OW J fare I can find to HKG this summer - avoiding BA’s ‘crap aircraft’.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's only one boarding pass, it's the one in SIN and that triggers the TP and Avios. The coupon extension is under the radar in this context. I suspect a TA or CX could possibly ticket the ITA proposal, but I doubt BA can.
Interesting, thank you. I'm almost tempted to give it a try, but I get the impression that Phil the Flyer is volunteering.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:41 pm

60 mins in BKK is doable, even with different planes as long as you don't have mobility issues.

You can check the bags through to the destination of your choice in the situations you describe - but if it's the same flight number on the same day then you're only going to get one set of TPs.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
This has got me thinking now - we have a AMS->LHR->BKK->SIN with the LHR->SIN over two days with a relatively short connection to SIN in BKK, couple of hours. Then a SIN->LHR->AMS. The AMS parts are via Gatwick, but will I get the bags checked through from LHR to SIN on this fare? I'd assumed the obvious sequence would define the bag check.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:53 pm

No problem.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

For what it’s worth advice on the CX forum suggests that passengers on CX712 SIN BKK HKG remain on board the aircraft during the one hour stopover in BKK.

Given that INCEU60 is supposed to be AMS BKK and vv it seems strange that one would be allowed to spend as little as one hour in BKK, and not even get off the aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.