Wiki Posts
Search

BA INCEU60 AMS BKK checked baggage queries

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by Virazuno
Icing on the cake will be if I don't have to get off the plane at all at BKK. Taking the AMS-BKK fare to a new level
I wouldn't do that. You should get your BP scanned at the gate in BKK, to avoid confusion or a no-show.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There seems to be enough to suggest to me that the connection time is invalid and the inability to select flights when making a normal booking / checking on EF/checking on Matrix supports this
But it is possible to select these flights using ITA, whether as part of an AMS-BKK-AMS trip or simply as a one-way SIN-BKK-HKG.

I posted the ITA results above: see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29620635-post8.html and https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29623046-post24.html.

The fact that Virazuno is now ticketed strongly supports that.
KARFA likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

ITA , ime, always shows the sectors ( same as aa.com does when checking bookings ) of a direct service - it doesn't mean that it is not a direct flight - for comparison look at LHR-SYD on BA - it shows the stop in SIN

Conversely on ITA, it is not possible to select CX712 plus CX712 if using a multi city search for SIN-BKK plus BKK-HKG
Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
ITA , ime, always shows the sectors ( same as aa.com does when checking bookings ) of a direct service - it doesn't mean that it is not a direct flight - for comparison look at LHR-SYD on BA - it shows the stop in SIN

Conversely on ITA, it is not possible to select CX712 plus CX712 if using a multi city search for SIN-BKK plus BKK-HKG
It is absolutely possible to do this. See the example I have already posted above.

So that nobody thinks that there is anything funny going on with my use of ITA, I am going to post two ITA searches, and the resulting priced itinerary of CX712 SIN-BKK --> CX712 BKK-LHR on the same day, ie with a 60-minute stop/connection. These results are reproducible.

Notably, the first example shows a through fare but constructed as a connection at BKK, with a correspondingly higher YR surcharge and therefore a higher total price.

The second example is an illustration of your first point, namely that when a flight stops, ITA will show it as a stop. But you will see that it is described as "Stop in BKK", which is different from the first example in which those words do not appear, and the two flights are separated by a horizontal line. In this example, the through fare is written as a direct flight, and there is a lower YR surcharge.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fare Construction
SIN CX X/BKK CX HKG 1309.73DAAROSG8 NUC 1309.73 END ROE 1.317826 XT 8.00OO 6.10OP 19.90SG 1.50E7 41.20YR

Last edited by Globaliser; Feb 27, 2019 at 8:44 am
Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fare Construction
SIN CX HKG 1309.73DAAROSG8 NUC 1309.73 END ROE 1.317826 XT 8.00OO 6.10OP 19.90SG 1.50E7 19.80YR

Last edited by Globaliser; Feb 27, 2019 at 8:44 am
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:43 am

I have this fully ticketed as two separate legs.

Why are we still debating this?
KARFA likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have this fully ticketed as two separate legs.

Why are we still debating this?
Speaking purely for myself, I was hoping that the additional technical detail would demonstrate that (despite the continuing presence of naysayers on the thread) it can officially be done, the results are reproducible, and what you've secured is not some fluke outside the rules.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 11:41 pm

An update:

All went fine, without a hitch.

I was proactively asked to stay on board during the BKK stop. I watched a nice film throughout (CX A350 IFE is gate-to-gate...watched it through landing, stop, and takeoff), whilst an army of cleaners and engineers did an incredibly impressive job in the 40 odd minutes we had on the ground with an 'empty' plane. (As an aside, the HKG-LHR A380 CW lower deck cabin was filthy, despite the many hours it was on the ground).

Bags also made it to LHR.

The only downside to the whole thing was that the shorter CX journey was quite a bit nicer than the BA leg. CX A350 hard product and service, even on short haul, I found to be considerably better than CW.

I will report back on the TPs. Expecting 40 but might get 80...

If anyone wants to do an AMS-BKK without even setting foot in BKK city or airport - this is the way to do it.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:11 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
@virazuno what was your actual itinerary in the end? I’m wondering who checked in your bag to get it to LHR. (CX or BA)
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by sxc
@virazuno what was your actual itinerary in the end? I’m wondering who checked in your bag to get it to LHR. (CX or BA)
SIN-BKK-HKG-LHR

SIN-BKK-HKG on CX (one plane), HKG-LHR on BA

All on a single ticket. CX agent at SIN tagged the bags SIN-HKG-LHR. No prompting needed - she was already well aware tagging SIN-HKG rather than SIN-BKK-HKG (as ticketed) would reduce the risk of baggage misconnect at BKK.

All in all, I was very impressed with CX on this trip.
JustPete likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS, Carlson, IHG Gold
I'm doing BKK-SIN-LHR in a couple of months, and my BKK-SIN leg is on a CX A350. I had a feeling from various TR's I have read online that the shorter CX leg will outshine the longer SIN-LHR on BA. And you seem to re-inforce the notion.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
SIN-BKK-HKG-LHR

SIN-BKK-HKG on CX (one plane), HKG-LHR on BA

All on a single ticket. CX agent at SIN tagged the bags SIN-HKG-LHR. No prompting needed - she was already well aware tagging SIN-HKG rather than SIN-BKK-HKG (as ticketed) would reduce the risk of baggage misconnect at BKK.

All in all, I was very impressed with CX on this trip.
Thanks for reporting back Virazuno. I think one question which was the subject of some robust debate on the thread was whether it was possible to ticket the SIN-BKK-HKG CX flight to get two lots of TPs so it would be interesting to see what happens when it posts.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Just wandering over from the neighbouring CX board.

@Virazuno did you have one boarding pass (SIN-HKG) or two (SIN-BKK, BKK-HKG)?

Years back- having done my fair share of CX 1-stops via BKK (they used to have a lot more such flights), and in cahoots with a competent HKG based TA, I did manage, once, to get the miles corresponding to HKG-BKK-XXX, rather than HKG-XXX. The sectors showed up separate in Manage My Booking on CX, and I selected different seats on purpose..got 2 boarding passes while checking in ..vague memories of an announcement to the effect “Paging passenger jagmeets, if you’re on board, please identify yourself to a crew member”, but I may be mistaken.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by jagmeets
Just wandering over from the neighbouring CX board.

@Virazuno did you have one boarding pass (SIN-HKG) or two (SIN-BKK, BKK-HKG)?
Hello @jagmeets.

I had two separate BPs - SIN-BKK, and BKK-HKG. Selected the same seat for both sectors for obvious reasons. I could have selected different seats if I had wished to.

Both legs are numbered CX712 (as is the option to book them together as a single coupon SIN-HKG). This might cause BAEC to credit them as a single flight (40TPs) rather than two separate flights (2 x 40TPs). I will report back when they eventually show up.

Does anyone know how long CX sectors take to credit in BAEC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.