Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK Avios Travel Rewards Programme Changes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by JAXBA
Add them to your own HHA and spend them?

If they're expiring soonish, you may need to make, and then cancel, a redemption booking so that there's activity.
I see where you are, but that just keeps the Avios in their account ... and all OUR earnings would then boost THEIR holding, just making things worse! They want to empty their account, for our benefit.

(And they don't live here, so that would breach T&C, and they have accounts held at their own address)

Last edited by T8191; Apr 23, 2018 at 12:52 pm
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Well, you can probably do the transfer to avios.com household and then move to your account, if you act fast. Avios.com still up and running.
As they say, no avios will be lost, so even if the whole process takes more time, you'll not be worse off...
T8191 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 3:12 pm

I may have missed this elsewhere or further up, apologies if that's the case.

At the moment if I book a BA flight through avios.com I can add in any oneworld membership number and get the equivalent benefits. Once this shifts to BAEC, will I still be able to do that on a redemption I book through them, or will it now be a purely BA redemption and I'll have to travel according to my new (lack of) BA status?

Apologies if this is a primary school level enquiry...
Old Apr 29, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
I may have missed this elsewhere or further up, apologies if that's the case.

At the moment if I book a BA flight through avios.com I can add in any oneworld membership number and get the equivalent benefits. Once this shifts to BAEC, will I still be able to do that on a redemption I book through them, or will it now be a purely BA redemption and I'll have to travel according to my new (lack of) BA status?

Apologies if this is a primary school level enquiry...
You can change your frequent traveller number even for reward bookings made directly over the phone. Should ba.com not allow it, you can do it by managing your booking on other oneworld airlines’ websites, such as Finnair or Qatar Airways.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 3:48 pm

Ah OK that's fine then, thank you very much!
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by ringingup

You can change your frequent traveller number even for reward bookings made directly over the phone. Should ba.com not allow it, you can do it by managing your booking on other oneworld airlines’ websites, such as Finnair or Qatar Airways.
Just to be clear are you saying the frequent flyer number in a booking can be someone else’s number? If so, I really didn’t know that.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Tracy100

Just to be clear are you saying the frequent flyer number in a booking can be someone else’s number? If so, I really didn’t know that.
no it can't. But it can be your number in a different scheme. Vastly increases your chance of a redemption earning miles!
ringingup likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by neuromancer
Well, you can probably do the transfer to avios.com household and then move to your account, if you act fast. Avios.com still up and running.
As they say, no avios will be lost, so even if the whole process takes more time, you'll not be worse off...
I tried to setup an Avios HHA a few weeks ago to achieve a similar result however Avios customer service told they are not setting any up. You may notice the option to do this online is also missing.

I’m interested to know how T8191 got on.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
So is it now the case that Lloyds Avios upgrade vouchers can now be used on bookings that have been made through BA Avios?
Old May 12, 2018, 5:12 am

"The British Airways Avios scheme is closing this summer" - The Times

I'm usually quite a fan of the Times, but their article today on how to "Navigate your way through air miles" is really very poor. It begins:

Originally Posted by The Times
The British Airways Avios scheme is closing this summer and all members will be automatically transferred into the airline’s executive club from July.
BA promises it will not affect the amount of points you can collect, but it will broaden the number of airlines you can earn them from, including Qantas, Qatar, Cathay Pacific and American Airlines.
Now of course we on FT know what they actually mean, but many readers will be mightily confused by this - especially those who have a BAEC but no Avios.com account and may not have seen anything about the closure.

The rest of it isn't much use either. Full article available here behind the paywall: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/m...iles-2jg3dlcm9
Old May 12, 2018, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jbfield

<snip>.

I’m interested to know how T8191 got on.
We decided not to bother ... too difficult for a variety of reasons. I might get them to do a small transaction to keep them alive, and see whether anything evolves over the next 3 years.
Old May 13, 2018, 10:18 pm

I wanted to take advantage of the current Groupon Iberia offer but what about the May 20 deadline approaching... I have a BA HHA so I do not want my avios to be stuck on Iberia next week without being able to transfer them to the BA Household account. Am I freaking out too much?
Thanks!
Old May 14, 2018, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by T8191
I'm not sure if this is the right thread or not, but please bear with me.

My SiL and BiL have 51,819 Avios in their BAEC HHA ... these are about to expire, and it is unlikely they will ever get to use them due to age/health issues. SiL asked if they could transfer them to our BAEC accounts.

Having logged in to BAEC, that should be simple - as a BAEC Gold I can do that free, as they are part of my Friends and Family grouping. However, using her log-in as a Blue, it is clear they would each have to pay £140 [for up to 24,400], which makes their Avios a rather expensive purchase for me. I don't see that as good value, and the Avios aren't really needed anyway - I just hate waste!

So I wondered about transferring their Avios to new accounts at avios.com, and then getting them re-directed from there to my BAEC account. However, the changes discussed here seem to suggest that this is about to become a bit of a PITA - if not impossible.

Does anyone have a suggestion of how THEIR Avios with BAEC could get transferred to OUR BAEC accounts without paying £280?

I repeat, they have no foreseeable use for over 51k Avios, and simply want to get them to us.
They could put you and Iwife on their friends and family list and buy you a ticket. Malta perhaps?
T8191 likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An interesting idea, rapidex. The problem is that we need TPs, so a reward flight won't help. I'll give that further thought.
Old May 14, 2018, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by T8191
An interesting idea, rapidex. The problem is that we need TPs, so a reward flight won't help. I'll give that further thought.
They could buy you and Iwife a flight, and use Avios to lower the cost. You would get the tier points.
T8191 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.