Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The absolute state of CE toilets on a recent flight (not for the faint hearted)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis

I should start this by saying that I'n no cleanliness fanatic, in fact I'll tolerate a lot others complain about. But as I alluded in my GGL thread, I was taken aback by the state of the toilets on one of my recent CE legs.

I've noticed that most of the short haul CE flights I've taken have fairly scruffy toilets, stained sinks in particular, and odd residue. But I've put that down usually to the flights having not been cleaned between turnarounds.

But BA2770 on 6th April was the first flight of the day, and I would have expected it to have been cleaned properly. I was the first passenger to use the toilet too. It was genuinely vile, residue on the seat and under the rim, around the sink and in the corners of the cubicle.

I took some photos which I'll post below. Deeply unimpressive: what does it take to steam clean a couple of toilets overnight?

Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Duplicate
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I’m no expert on toilet stains but could it be from tea/coffee pots being emptied down the loo ?
black tea/coffee stains my cups so I regularly have to bleach them regularly.
Not that it is any excuse but perhaps the alternative to tea or coffee would be far less pleasant.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I find flights okay. However, I do find the T5 GF lounge toilets a bit of an embarrassment (compared to the counterparts in Asia) EG QF in SIN, CX in HKG etc etc. They are clean but so so dated.

However, dirty toilets on a first flight out in the morning is not acceptable. This is why I always carry Alcohol Gel.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Wow!!!! I've just seen your pics. Disgusting.
RJD1983 and hugolover like this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:18 am
Original Poster

It's very frequent to see stained sinks, I don't really care about that, yes, quite likely that's tea and coffee. But it takes some artistry and devious intent to stain the seat and corners of the room with dregs. Nope, it was just filthy.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: BA
That's from tea and coffee being poured down the toilet.
pacenotes likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:27 am

All I'll say is if you think that's not for the faint hearted, you've lived a very sheltered life!

I was expecting a lot worse...
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
All I'll say is if you think that's not for the faint hearted, you've lived a very sheltered life!

This is relatively normal for certain airlines, including BA.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Midflight, long haul, when some big bloke has just spent twenty minutes in there with the complimentary newspaper, I've seen and experienced the full sensory impact of far worse than that. I've seen floors swimming with sticky fluid mid flight, washbasins with dubious content, and trails of vomit down aisles glistening like stars at the tannhauser gate,

But at the beginning of the first flight of the day, I expect a relatively clean starting point. Call me Mr Picky, but the residue in the corners wasn't tea or coffee.
hugolover, Ldnn1, mikeyfly and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA continue to have the dirtiest cabins of any of the airlines I have ever flown with. It's nothing new. There's a reason why CE has the hot towel, its to wipe down your tray table and arm rest.
mickeyjaw likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold
When we flew home from Miami in January the stench from the toilets hit us before we were even on board
hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Just a reminder that a 'British Airways flight to Dubai [was] forced to return to Heathrow due to 'smelly poo in toilet'" in 2015.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

Yeah, based on the thread title I was expecting to see caked-on doo-doo. This lav was dirty, but still way better than the average American gas-station restroom.
RJD1983 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.