Wiki Posts
Search

Our 1st First was not that great.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by DFB_london
No saying about it - rather experience of consistently inconsistent and often poor slow clueless service in F from mixed fleet.

Its often willingly but woefully under trained and lacking in experience. The ultimate was when the passengers on a CPT had to show the crew where the bedding was stored for F. That followed a clueless meal service too laughable to repeat here.
Have you noticed any change over time? What do you think the service quality been like more recently, eg in the last 12 months or so?
Originally Posted by DFB_london
In a few years time with F shrinking to 8 seats and removed from much of the network this issue may solve itself.
Accompanied by the inevitable replacement complaint here!
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ibmman69
Your experience with BA in F is not reflective of my experiences. A quick search online shows your flight was a MF crew. I've never flow with a MF crew, but that is not an excuse for poor service.

RE: your exact experience I say two things:

1. If you didn't want to dine right then you could've said you would prefer to dine at X time. I don't think her question implied that you had to eat immediately. Also, if the flight is a night departure it's not unreasonable to assume you'd want to eat, and then go to sleep.

2. If you wanted a different entree then you could've asked. You are the customer. I certainly would've called her over after I determined the food wasn't up to par, and asked for another entree. Same with the missing grapes and chutney. Should she have volunteered? Yes, but ultimately it's your responsibility to speak up for yourself.

I had a very similar experience on a trans-con United flight over Christmas. I had an older guy I think may have been on his first fly-fly trip ever (he couldn't remember whether we were headed to LAX or SFO), and a young girl more interested in flirting with the pilot and co-pilot than serving customers. What did I do? I just went up to the galley when I wanted something. Should I have to do that? No, but you have to take responsibility if you aren't happy, and ask for what you want.
Sorry to Hijack the thread, but how do you tell if the flight you are on, has a Mixed Fleet crew, I am going out to DXB later this month in CW....

Many thanks,
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by all ahead full
Sorry to Hijack the thread, but how do you tell if the flight you are on, has a Mixed Fleet crew
As is almost always the case, we have a thread on this: Mixed Fleet vs non Mixed Fleet routes
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
It really should make no difference at all in terms of crew Mixed Fleet or otherwise - In First and often in LH Business BA take thousands of pounds for the service provision and pax should not have to worry about crew. they should ALL be trained to the same quality and if they don't want to be there they should leave. I am getting a bit tired of "the crew are this" "the crew are that", "its all down to luck" "it was an off day"...No, no, no. It should NOT be. Either deliver a constant service or give up. No more excuses please.
NoY and Ancient Observer like this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It’s not an excuse it is the reason why this is happening, BA have decided it is going to be this way and no amount of complaining is going to change it, I suggest customers vote with their feet.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
As is almost always the case, we have a thread on this: Mixed Fleet vs non Mixed Fleet routes
My bad, and many thanks for the link.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
I have long since accepted when flying BA in F the following.

The service and attitude of the crew can be amazing and among the best in the sky but equally truely terrible and amongst the worst.

I prefer F over CW by far, the more space and quietness it can offer for me is easily worth the avios. (If I am paying chances are I wouldn't be on BA metal)

The serve a very good champagne in F and until recently the CCR, was always a big plus, now it seems you can't even rely on that.

The food in the CCR is generally terrible and so is the service.

The service in the CCR is generally like in the air, just much mess likely to be amazing.

Unless you book 28 days out forget about the spa, so the spa is a bonus, but can't be counted as part of the F package.

The F hard product is pretty basic compared to most, but it's functional and the middle seats if travelling as a couple work pretty well. That and 1A/K will always hold a little bit of special status.

The food in F can be good, but also can be woeful and certainly if you don't preorder and its a full cabin you could be on second choice. Equally as long as you control the crew they will serve you when you want.

On night flights they wake the cabin later than Cw giving me valuable (to me) extra sleep. Unfortunataly get a lazy crew and they lights up very early to make their lives easier so started to discount this benifit.

So why do I still fly BA F, the answer is easy, I prefer a direct flight than changes and they have a decent hard product and serve a good champagne. Equally can't remember the last time I flew them to SE Asia or Hong Kong as the other options are compelling but to JNB or to USA they generally tick the boxes and for redemptions at least offer gd value.

I can sympathise with the OP on there issues as it shouldn't be what First is but in truth it sounded like they had a pretty good overall experience for BA First! Not sure that's a reason to celebrate tho!
EuropeanPete and hugolover like this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
Originally Posted by simon stingray

At the door of the aircraft, there was only one crew member so nobody available to show us to our seats.
Were you worried you would get lost?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by irmster
Some people do - a lady sitting in row 3 last night on a 321 passed me by when I was in row 8!

If Qatar/Sri Lankan/Iberia can show you to seat (each recently in premier cabins for me has) then surely BA can.
NoY and hugolover like this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, Subcard
I flew this route last month and had the opposite results.

LHR-JNB in First with a fantastic young female Italian CC serving me and my friends in 1-4A. The service from start to finish was possibly the best i've experianced on BA (I am very critical of BA at times).

I too had pre-ordered the lamb shank and wasn't looking forward to it but it turned out to be very good (bone still on the dish).

However on the return JNB-LHR in CW it was the opposite (although I felt sorry for the crew who had arrived in JNB that same morning and went to the hotel for the minimum time allowed to sleep to return the same night). I slept most of the flight but my friends said the service from start to finish was awful with drink top ups impossible to get, main courses forgetting to be delivered and being ignored during the breakfast service. I did really enjoy the new white company bedding and slept for nearly 9 hours.

For me the crew is everything on BA flights as the hard product is mediocre at best. When you get great crew in F its a lovely way to fly. However, when you get inexperienced or tired grumpy crew it makes you question why you booked it in the first place.
hugolover and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:17 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by irmster
Did you actually read what was said rather than selectively quoting?

"At the door of the aircraft, there was only one crew member so nobody available to show us to our seats. No big deal and we could easily have found 1A & K ourselves but we were made to wait at the door whilst someone was called during which everyone else behind us was also made to wait."
hugolover and truncated like this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:39 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
As a result of yet another AA cancellation - I had to switch to a BA flight to ORD. F was full and there was one seat in CW - on the Upper Deck. There were two young ladies serving up there who were the bee's knees. I could not fault their genuine pleasantness and how good they were at their job. The return in AA J to MAN had the usual sort of FAs that seem to be par for the course at AA these days - nothing wrong but without an ounce of personality.

I think that MF gets a very bad press on here and it just shows how different experiences can be.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Can I help you
I suggest customers vote with their feet.
Makes you wonder why they don't.
I've tried six airlines on the EZE-Europe routes and decided IB suited me best.
hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
[QUOTE=UKTraveller4Fun;29618826]
The food in the CCR is generally terrible and so is the service.
/QUOTE]

UKTraveller4Fun, hope tomorrow is a better day!
Unfortunately, I will miss the CCR on Thursday due to a tight connection from GVA en route to SIN.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by ibmman69
Your experience with BA in F is not reflective of my experiences. A quick search online shows your flight was a MF crew. I've never flow with a MF crew, but that is not an excuse for poor service.

RE: your exact experience I say two things:

1. If you didn't want to dine right then you could've said you would prefer to dine at X time. I don't think her question implied that you had to eat immediately. Also, if the flight is a night departure it's not unreasonable to assume you'd want to eat, and then go to sleep.

2. If you wanted a different entree then you could've asked. You are the customer. I certainly would've called her over after I determined the food wasn't up to par, and asked for another entree. Same with the missing grapes and chutney. Should she have volunteered? Yes, but ultimately it's your responsibility to speak up for yourself.

I had a very similar experience on a trans-con United flight over Christmas. I had an older guy I think may have been on his first fly-fly trip ever (he couldn't remember whether we were headed to LAX or SFO), and a young girl more interested in flirting with the pilot and co-pilot than serving customers. What did I do? I just went up to the galley when I wanted something. Should I have to do that? No, but you have to take responsibility if you aren't happy, and ask for what you want.
A customer shouldn’t have to request, or indeed ‘take responsibility’.

Many people may also be reluctant to make an issue of something at the time perhaps due to the nature or cultural background of the individual.

There are just too many similar posts to this and I too have also had a lousy experience on my last F trip to HKG which in hindsight, I should have complained about at the time, however, I have found such action with a previous issue was a complete waste of time and effort.

I accept that even the best carriers will have the occasional service failure, but with BA, many may argue that they are now becoming routine.
wrp96 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.