Strange BA system message

Old Apr 8, 18, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Strange BA system message

Dear all,

I got an SMS and an email from BA about my flight today in CE, but I donít understand the offer they are proposing due to he flight being full, any ideas what it means? Where is B16 / B17 and does it mean landslide to airside security, or gate security? Full message below:

Thanks in advance!

Flight Information

Dear Customer,Flight BA0404 on 08-Apr/LHR - Thank you for choosing to fly with British Airways today. Your flight is full and we would like to invite you to check-in your hand baggage free of charge at desks B15 and B16, prior to security. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you in Terminal 5.Yours sincerely,British Airways Customer Services
Old Apr 8, 18, 7:13 am

It's in the B check-in area prior to security (landside). Although in practice I imagine you can use any check-in desk if quicker.

There is no 'gate security' at T5. Do you mean at flight connections, if you are flying in from elsewhere?

Note you are not obliged to take up this offer. I wouldn't and don't. If in CE, as long as your bag is within the allowed dimensions and you're not boarding late, you'll be able to take it onboard.
Old Apr 8, 18, 7:15 am

Programs: MSC (Miles Slut Club); Cunard- Diamond 300+; Princess- Elite 200+; Royal Caribbean- Diamond; QF LTG
The wonderful BA IT that can not tell the difference between a CE and ET cabin traveller so the generic messages are sent to everyone on board...
Old Apr 8, 18, 7:19 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BAEC Gold, UAMP Silver, HH Silver, IHG Gold Elite, Sixt Gold
lol did you get all the way to Gold without ever receiving these messages? I am a regular of these and as advised by other passengers, it's optional and I recommend not to accept.

I was never forced to check luggage even when flying ET as crew at the gate will first approach passengers with no status.
Old Apr 8, 18, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info everyone. Indeed, I have never received such a message from BA in my life, and they shouldn't send it to CE customers.

Ahh B terminal.... I didn't realise! But even this is weird no? The implication is the aircraft will depart from B gates, but I have never heard of an a319 to BRU being allocated a B stand 24 hours before the flight.... Is that normal?
ttama likes this.
Old Apr 8, 18, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by ReynoldsNumber View Post
Thanks for the info everyone. Indeed, I have never received such a message from BA in my life, and they shouldn't send it to CE customers.

Ahh B terminal.... I didn't realise! But even this is weird no? The implication is the aircraft will depart from B gates, but I have never heard of an a319 to BRU being allocated a B stand 24 hours before the flight.... Is that normal?
It's not B terminal. As I said above, it's the B check-in area which is just the second zone in the main check-in area as you enter T5 prior to security. The B zone being marked with a large "B" and located unsurprisingly between Zone A to the left and Zone C and onwards to the right. It is directly in the area you walk into if you enter from the Underground/HEX.
Old Apr 8, 18, 8:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver

its not referring to T5B, itís saying the B desks that are landslide, hence ďprior to securityĒ.

i get these messages all the time and ignore them.
Old Apr 8, 18, 8:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
No, that's Zone B, landside in T5, where all the machines are basically, by North Fast Track. I suspect it will be an A gate, and in any case no one in BA will have the departure gate at this point. This is perhaps the curse of Flyertalk - it says "desks B" and casual travellers wouldn't probably know about T5B - which is somewhere else.

These messages are quite common, I would say one in ten flights get them on shorthaul (my actual percentage is easy to work out since they all come from the same telephone number - 12%). BRU isn't so bad for cabin baggage compared to other routes, since it has more on-carriage passengers than (e.g.) AMS, but I imagine with an A319 it fell over some metric, and all point to point passengers will get this message if BA has the email / SMS details in the right fields.
Old Apr 8, 18, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Ah sorry for the misunderstanding! Thanks again for all the information everyone.