Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Anyone have a guess as to why BA072 AUH-LHR does not operate on 16 May

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD

I'm sure there are all sorts of operational reasons why this might be the case, but still is strikes me as odd to see a flight that operates daily all year round to take a random day off.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gfl, GGL
I believe this year, May 16th is start of Ramadan, jumping to a conclusion that could very well be totally wrong.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by chessers1
I believe this year, May 16th is start of Ramadan, jumping to a conclusion that could very well be totally wrong.
I did think about that, and I thought that could contribute to an increase, rather than a decrease, in demand, but looking at the EY flights they appear to be wide open. All of that said, you can't know when Ramadan actually will begin until it's declared a couple days in advance. I think it was originally predicted to begin on the 15th, but the last I saw they're now saying the 17th. It's all very confusing!
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gfl, GGL
I’m in Dubai at present and it’s been given as after sunset on 16th. Just a guess to be honest, I don’t have any facts!
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Blumie
I'm sure there are all sorts of operational reasons why this might be the case, but still is strikes me as odd to see a flight that operates daily all year round to take a random day off.
It seems to me that one perfectly good reason would be that BA73 LHR-AUH is not operating on 15 May.

More substantively, one possibility is that it's a 787 route so this is one of the many scattered reductions/cancellations to deal with the technical issues involving those aircraft, already the subject of much discussion.
Cymro likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: BA: Silver. OneWorld: Sapphire
Perhaps BA have a pre-existing charter or full aircraft commitment for that day.
Government etc.

Virgin do the same now and then for sports teams etc ...
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: BA GGL; Lifetime Gold
BA72/73 isn’t operating on a number of days during May/June (not just 16 May) which I understand is due to reduced demand for seats during Ramadan. My recollection is it happens each year.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 1:31 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by gorps1
BA72/73 isn’t operating on a number of days during May/June (not just 16 May) which I understand is due to reduced demand for seats during Ramadan. My recollection is it happens each year.
Many of the ME3 reduce their frequencies over Ramadan, and I dare say so do the other airlines that fly into the Middle East.

M
m3red likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Many of the ME3 reduce their frequencies over Ramadan, and I dare say so do the other airlines that fly into the Middle East.

M
Apart from QR who are starting their new LGW-DOH services in May. I wonder what the loads will be like.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:00 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by rapidex
Apart from QR who are starting their new LGW-DOH services in May. I wonder what the loads will be like.
True, but that route seems to be a trial route, so likely an agreement between BA and QR which is favourable towards QR...but means BA dont lose the slot.

M
Old Apr 7, 2018, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
True, but that route seems to be a trial route, so likely an agreement between BA and QR which is favourable towards QR...but means BA dont lose the slot.

M
Agreed, but triple daily starting in ramadan is going to be hard to fill unless we see some fantastic deals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.