Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Attitude/presumption from ground staff about travel class (check-in; lounges)

Attitude/presumption from ground staff about travel class (check-in; lounges)

Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by 20Rothmans
it gives some insight into their upbringing, like dirty shoes.
One might argue that someone judging people by their appearance offers more insight into their upbringing than the state of their shoes.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gcuk
I think part of the problem at JFK is the CCR is the first lounge that CW pax and Golds see when they are using the premium security line. I reckon its been 50:50 whether the person in front of me at the CCR desk gets redirected to the Galleries lounge, so 'travelling First?' isn't an illogical question from the staff. I wouldn't read too much into them asking.
Originally Posted by jerub
While I have had my presence challenged, I've never thought of it as a barrier.

The attitude staff might have is not directed at me, it's directed at people who are pretending to be me. So when I heard someone challenge my presence, I'm mentally thinking, "Good, I'm in the right place".

Which is of course the best retort.
I agree completely...only I don’t just think it mentally, I say it politely, with a “thank you”, and a brief explanation if relevant.

I don’t take it personally,,and I fully expect that anyone in the wrong queue should be sent to the correct queue. Done properly,,this questioning is a time saver for people who have misinterpreted the requirements.

I have less patience with the DYKWIA passengers who take on this role for themselves.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by popmagnet
One might argue that someone judging people by their appearance offers more insight into their upbringing than the state of their shoes.
Quite so. I never get dressed up for a first date. Who cares about other people? It's all about me. But when you are as ugly as I, you really need to put your glad rags on :-)
Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:31 pm

There's a difference between dirty, tattered, and/or disheveled, and dressing how you feel.

To me it's more about treating people with respect and behaving the way you should behave. If I treat you with respect, you treat me with respect regardless of my class of travel and my attire.

Maybe it's a cultural difference between the posters and flight attendants, but I really don't see this as an issue. When I've received bad service I think it had more to do with poor work ethic and training than any judgment on the part of the service worker. A smile, thank you, and maybe a box of chocolates form the store beside the gate go a long way.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by jerub
I feel like we need to conduct some science experiments here. Vary parameters for apparent age, dress, and airport, seeing who gets challenged while using First Wing, CCR, Group 1 boarding and turning left on the aircraft.

I volunteer to fly between LHR and JFK in F twice a day for a week, can we get 3-5 more volunteers so we can round out the gender+age variables?

Does anyone know a good foundation that can fund this study?
I can supply the first data point here... Approached the first wing this morning in jeans and t-shirt wearing a hoodie, no questions asked other than did I have my boarding pass already. Boarding at gate A4B and just asked if I was group 1, when I said yes I was allowed forward to board.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
It's always interesting to see which places judge on appearance when that's a bad idea. Some places have a high population of people with money and even with power who dress very casually - not even expensive-casual, but don't-care-casual - and treating people badly based on their dress is poor business sense. Some people have very poor business sense.

BA, at least on their home ground, tend not to have poor business sense. For example, the First Wing entry guardians will welcome anyone without much presumption, and turn away the suited yet ineligible equally politely. The CCR guardians are also fairly unjudgemental. Cabin crew, also, tend to treat you much the same regardless of dress. Iberia in Madrid aren't so smart.

Some shops in Knightsbridge will entirely ignore you if they think you're not dressed well enough. No sane establishment in San Francisco will do that - have you seen how Mark Zuckerberg dresses, for example?

I always feel you can rate the business-smarts of any enterprise by whether it is that shallow or if it actually has decided to welcome all customers who are good for their business.
flygirl68, Calum and 07L 25R like this.

Last edited by flatlander; Apr 8, 2018 at 4:37 pm
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: DIAMANTAIRE EXTRAORDINAIRE
Had an issue once at jfk lounge,

Presented my boarding pass which clearly mentioned Ba Gold. The gate agent demanded to see my passport. Which I presented. Didn't wanna make a scene. But imo speaks highly of the lowly Ba service !!
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by diamantaire
But imo speaks highly of the lowly Ba service !!
I've travelled enough with BA to know it speaks nothing to their service because it's never happened to me at any lounge.

The only time I've had someone ask for my passport outside of the regulated checks was when there was a mix-up and someone had been issued a boarding pass for my seat, that I was already sat in.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Had an issue once at jfk lounge,

Presented my boarding pass which clearly mentioned Ba Gold. The gate agent demanded to see my passport. Which I presented. Didn't wanna make a scene. But imo speaks highly of the lowly Ba service !!
are you sure she wasn't doing a document check? they do these at check in, but if it isn't done there they will do it at the lounge. Usually involves a quick swipe of the passport to update the system.

otherwise, like Fraser, I have never been asked for my passport merely to access any lounge.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by flatlander
It's always interesting to see which places judge on appearance when that's a bad idea. Some places have a high population of people with money and even with power who dress very casually - not even expensive-casual, but don't-care-casual - and treating people badly based on their dress is poor business sense. Some people have very poor business sense..........................
I 100% agree with all of that. BA seems to be the best airline in this regard, I very much fall in the don't-care-casual and BA's staff never seem to have some presumption about dress. I've had a few "sorry sir, this is for first passangers" on Asian/US carriers but nothing on BA.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage,
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily

Good lord, when we went to the dealers to buy my Boxster, the salesman insisted on addressing all responses to my questions to my husband. I nearly got up an walked out. It was only when he realised that I was serious about leaving AND my husband told him that I would take the deal elsewhere that he changed his manner and tone. Couldn’t have been more grovelling after that.

So don’t pre-judge women either.

Hell, this happens when buying a Honda. "If you want to bring your husband in..." See ya!
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: DIAMANTAIRE EXTRAORDINAIRE
Was not a document check , already had checked in jfk-lhr-bru & had my boarding passes.
It was after the check in & security.
This was at the jfk t7 Ba lounge.
I was dressed appropriately in jeans & a shirt .
It was a guy at the lounge not a lady.
When I presented my boarding pass pass looked down at me & then asked for the passport.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:22 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Was not a document check , already had checked in jfk-lhr-bru & had my boarding passes.
It was after the check in & security.
This was at the jfk t7 Ba lounge.
I was dressed appropriately in jeans & a shirt .
It was a guy at the lounge not a lady.
When I presented my boarding pass pass looked down at me & then asked for the passport.
Having your bp doesn’t mean the document check is done. You can go through security at JFK without the document check having been done yet.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by KARFA

Having your bp doesn’t mean the document check is done. You can go through security at JFK without the document check having been done yet.
Yes, I have had exactly this at T7 JFK galleries lounge when approaching the front desk and come to think
if it the MIA lounge too. Both asked to see my passport. I thought nothing more of it.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by KARFA
are you sure she wasn't doing a document check? they do these at check in, but if it isn't done there they will do it at the lounge. Usually involves a quick swipe of the passport to update the system.

otherwise, like Fraser, I have never been asked for my passport merely to access any lounge.
Indeed, If you are hand baggage only and have a boarding pass in your hand the first BA Staff person to see you is the lounge or gate agent. I regularly used to get this check at the lounge and it was so normal I used to have the passport to hand when entering!
rockflyertalk likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.