Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Attitude/presumption from ground staff about travel class (check-in; lounges)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Attitude/presumption from ground staff about travel class (check-in; lounges)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by subsea
Is this the DYKWIA thread?
I'm not the least bit DYKWIA,I only started using the F check in at LHR when they opened the lounge shortcut, but it does get wearing being challenged- I must have one of those faces I have even been challenged in MAN .
I am not a youngster, I am over 50, maybe not the smartest dresser in the world .The F check in know their customers come in all shapes and sizes and I have never had a problem there but the business types are perfectly happy to push me out of the way in their rush to board or get to the lounge entrance and staff have no problem making snap judgements either!!
Old Apr 8, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Clearly it's impossible to disabuse the Junior wing of the DYKWIA brigade of the notion there's anything at all special about travelling in the forward cabins in your twenties, or travelling in any cabin in comfortable rig.
There is indeed nothing special about anyone, young or old, female or male, travelling in a premium cabin.

The fact that that reality doesn’t jive with some people’s perception of what a premium traveller “should” be is what I understood the purpose of the OP to be. Not so much DYKWIA as TTTKWIA (they think they know who I am).

As I said in a previous post, there’s nothing extraordinary at all about airline staff (cabin crew or ground agents) checking someone is entitled to a particular cabin, queue or lounge. Although some have more tact than others - such is life.

It’s when other passengers do it, it can be quite amusing. frb98mf’s story of getting a CE breakfast in ET and it upsetting another ET pax is a classic case of what my granny would call someone who “cannae see green cheese”
Old Apr 8, 2018, 6:38 am

When I went through Gatwick a couple of weeks back the young lady at the entrance to premium security asked to see my BP.

I didn't think twice about it, but based on the above should I have perceived this as a slight and kicked off? I was wearing jeans and T-shirt but did have a jacket on.

In any case what does constitute smart dress these days? When I reached the lounge there were all sorts there, including some guy in a loud stripy blazer who I thought looked more ridiculous than anyone in 'casual' dress. But each to their own I guess.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simons1
When I went through Gatwick a couple of weeks back the young lady at the entrance to premium security asked to see my BP.

I didn't think twice about it, but based on the above should I have perceived this as a slight and kicked off?
The young lady was doing her job.

I don't understand what the problem is.

I don't get annoyed that passport control still ask to see my passport after hearing my British accent.

I was wearing jeans and T-shirt but did have a jacket on.
You're at Gatwick, not dining at the high table. The airport has probably never seen someone wearing a tie.

Proudelitist likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
I am relatively young and I have to say when I travel in a suit with black luggage I receive a different kind of attitude than when I am casually dressed for the weekend, just carrying a duffle.

The above mentioned "pre-check" at fast track security often happens when I am in my jeans, never happened with a suit. When I was BAEC Silver as I was still racking up TP, I used to get into GF with my CX Diamond card, which was not on the booking. Again, if dressed smartly it was just fine to show it, if I was more casual the lady/guy would actually input the CX number on BA Fly to check it was still within validity.

I guess attitude helps, when you walk fast and know exactly what to do, where things are, etc. you tend to give the impression of "belonging". To be fair, I guess this applies to all things in life.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
The young lady was doing her job.

I don't understand what the problem is.

I don't get annoyed that passport control still ask to see my passport after hearing my British accent.

You're at Gatwick, not dining at the high table. The airport has probably never seen someone wearing a tie.

Yes on reflection you are right. Next time I will carry a bucket and spade, maybe that will help
Calchas likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I feel like we need to conduct some science experiments here. Vary parameters for apparent age, dress, and airport, seeing who gets challenged while using First Wing, CCR, Group 1 boarding and turning left on the aircraft.

I volunteer to fly between LHR and JFK in F twice a day for a week, can we get 3-5 more volunteers so we can round out the gender+age variables?

Does anyone know a good foundation that can fund this study?
Calchas, truncated and 07L 25R like this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
No issue whatsoever. I was merely suggesting (with tongue somewhat in cheek) that if you are going to make value judgments about people based on the state of their shoes, it is also worth bearing in mind that people may be prone to make judgments based on various other things too, including if one is a smoker.
Please forgive a grumpy old man.
I've had a long week, not greatly improved by the woman behind me putting her foot up on my armrest the other night.
710 77345 and adrianlondon like this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by missdimeaner

I tried to like this but for some reason can’t. It becomes glaringly apparent when I feel flattered when someone says I don’t look a day over 45
Or when service people offer the "senior discount" without being asked. That happens to me more and more...
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by jerub
I feel like we need to conduct some science experiments here. Vary parameters for apparent age, dress, and airport, seeing who gets challenged while using First Wing, CCR, Group 1 boarding and turning left on the aircraft.

I volunteer to fly between LHR and JFK in F twice a day for a week, can we get 3-5 more volunteers so we can round out the gender+age variables?

I like experiments. I can only help with club checkin/lounges, but I'm hitting gold in July
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by jerub

We could always try crowdfunding through FT and I’ll happily put myself forward for the week should we raise enough!!

Maybe we could try different eras in costume dress...
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by 20Rothmans
Please forgive a grumpy old man.
I've had a long week, not greatly improved by the woman behind me putting her foot up on my armrest the other night.
You have my sympathies, it happened to me once, and I've tried to avoid long haul Y since.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
You have my sympathies, it happened to me once, and I've tried to avoid long haul Y since.
Ha, it happened to me the other day too. Wasn't any bother in this case, I just found it amusing as there's such a temptation to tickle!
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
Are you sure? They've probably seen passengers wearing nothing but a tie...
Calchas, Ldnn1 and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Ha, it happened to me the other day too. Wasn't any bother in this case, I just found it amusing as there's such a temptation to tickle!
Haha yes there is

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.