Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Attitude/presumption from ground staff about travel class (check-in; lounges)

Attitude/presumption from ground staff about travel class (check-in; lounges)

Old Apr 7, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ShuttleRunner
I do actually get this a lot - from staff not so much these days because they know me, but from other busybody passengers thinking they can queue jump me and actually have the audacity to tell me I’m in the wrong queue.

I don’t use bag tags, am a woman, 25, and travel alone most of the time. I am also GfL, and travel in F/J every week. I don’t fly as much now on OW so am not GGL anymore (don’t see a difference really), but for me this issue has manifested itself in the cabin greetings - the amount of times I’ve been walked by, ignored (when crew are fawning over the old men) - it’s not like I’m longing for a welcome, but it is not nice being passed over. I just don’t think crew know how to interact with young adults sometimes.
Well you are certainly extremely lucky and probably part of the .001% of the worlds population with this bolding, therefore I can understand why you might be ignored or walked by, not that it makes that right but at 25, being GFL and weekly premium travel, I am pretty damn sure it’s not the norm. So the majority of people think you’re just another average twenty-something. Little do they know. Books/covers and all

I wouldn’t moan about it, you’re doing better than most clearly. Hopefully you’re a happy soul too
Old Apr 7, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Shangri-La Golden Circle Elite, Hyatt Diamond
BA once gave me 10k miles after I asked if I should have Gold tattooed on my forehead - a little more to it but working for one of BA’s top accounts and no need to be suited and booted, BA staff had a habit of trying to guess who was flying biz then becoming all nice and friendly once they had the reservation details. But then I’ve got older and doesn’t happen much these days!
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by APUBleed
Now - I admit I don't 'look' like a first class passenger (I'm on the younger side).
What does a first class passenger look like?
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Diver Boy
I haven't had issues with staff. Have had other passengers question though. I have had when entering galleries North (Was silver) someone in a suit complaining that they were letting me in but not him (I had a mohican ripped jeans and a heavy metal t-shirt).

Have also had someone behind me in the priority boarding lane tell me "this is the priority lane" when I said okay They repeated again about the priority lane. This went through several repetitions until I ignored them. They then called over staff to complain at which point I showed the staff my boarding pass for 1A.

On board on AA when I refused to switch seats to a worse seat I had someone complain "It's not like you paid for the seat" I was on a LAX-PTY TP run so I just ignored them. They were an upgrade to make it funnier.
"I had a mohican ripped jeans and a heavy metal t-shirt" I still have a T-shirt with a picture of a Kit-Kat on it with the words "Have a break have a kwik krap" Shame it doesn't fit anymore else I'd be tempted to wear next time in in J somewhere!!
ML
Old Apr 7, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Originally Posted by ibmman69
I do think that if you don't acknowledge the flight attendants as you board, and you head straight for J or F that you will, more times than not, be asked for your boarding pass. I appreciate that. Keeps me from having a difficult conversation with some random person in my seat.
Hah - like the lady in what I can only describe as a hippy outfit that I found in my BA F seat in Bangkok once. I was quite jet lagged and just stood there looking a bit confused (wondering if I had misread the seat numbers) as the purser came up, confirmed that I had the right seat and asked to see the lady's boarding pass. She was in economy and professed to be quite astonished that this wasn't her seat. Well you may be a hippy, dear, and therefore somewhat out of touch with the modern world, but I am fairly sure the even the most die-hard and tie-dyed hippy doesn't think you get champagne before take-off in economy.

She ate my amuse-bouche too. I hope she really does believe in karma...
Old Apr 7, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
To those of you lamenting you look too young:

Time will cure this malady. Trust me, you will someday look in the mirror and say "Who's that old person?".
Old Apr 7, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
Originally Posted by Mountlodge
"I had a mohican ripped jeans and a heavy metal t-shirt" I still have a T-shirt with a picture of a Kit-Kat on it with the words "Have a break have a kwik krap" Shame it doesn't fit anymore else I'd be tempted to wear next time in in J somewhere!!
ML
Oh I still wear the heavy metal t-shirts when flying. Only lost the mohican due to the faf of dealing with my skid lid and site hard hats, grew my hair half way down my back instead which caused a few comments when flying.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by 20Rothmans
You are entitled to your opinion. If you have an issue with my upbringing, I would be delighted to hear it. There is no need to get personal.
No issue whatsoever. I was merely suggesting (with tongue somewhat in cheek) that if you are going to make value judgments about people based on the state of their shoes, it is also worth bearing in mind that people may be prone to make judgments based on various other things too, including if one is a smoker.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:45 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Gold on BMI and then BA since my mid 20s, long haul exclusively in premium cabins, rarely travel in business attire, so also quite used to the quizzical looks and the occasional comment from passengers and staff. Alas that inherited male pattern baldness kicked in in earnest in my late 20s and despite my baby face, I don't get many remarks or glances any more!

I've had quite a few perks as a frequent flier though, which can rile the less well-acquainted pax. Coming back from BCN on a packed flight (aged about 29 and very dressed-down), I was in seat 5A right behind the CE curtain. There was a rowdy family in 5C/D/E/F of shall we say a less salubrious persuasion, whose mother firstly tried to dump their lap infant in the specifically empty middle seat next to me, telling me I needed to move my bag (stewardess intervened and gave them some health and safety blah as to why it was also for my use), then whose father got vocally miffed when the purser (or whatever they are called) popped out with a glass of sparkly and had a little chat with me pre-departure.

I think she decided their reaction was deserving of more winding-up, so when they got to our row for breakfast service, she popped into CE and re-emerged with a spare "proper" breakfast. The father actually demanded loudly as to why he and his family were not being given the nicer breakfast. She said sternly and loudly enough for several rows to hear, something along the lines of "frb98mf is one of our most appreciated customers", left a nice pregnant pause for him to fill in the blanks as to what she thought of him, then marched off. I tried not to crack up...
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Clearly it's impossible to disabuse the Junior wing of the DYKWIA brigade of the notion there's anything at all special about travelling in the forward cabins in your twenties, or travelling in any cabin in comfortable rig.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
To those of you lamenting you look too young:

Time will cure this malady. Trust me, you will someday look in the mirror and say "Who's that old person?".
I tried to like this but for some reason can’t. It becomes glaringly apparent when I feel flattered when someone says I don’t look a day over 45
bisonrav likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:28 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by missdimeaner
I tried to like this but for some reason can’t. It becomes glaringly apparent when I feel flattered when someone says I don’t look a day over 45
OT: You probably liked another post. You have to reload the page to hand out another like ....
rickg523 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 4:30 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Clearly it's impossible to disabuse the Junior wing of the DYKWIA brigade of the notion there's anything at all special about travelling in the forward cabins in your twenties, or travelling in any cabin in comfortable rig.
I think this is harsh.

Travelling in premium cabins is unusual - though nowhere near as special as many other achievements that lots of people will have in their personal and professional lives. Those who say that it's public transport, not a private jet, are technically correct but at least some of the "take a private jet" folk would be scarred for life if they actually did travel in economy.

In any event, most of these stories are not DYKWIA so much as a response to other people purporting to "know" that the poster is someone who they are, in fact, not. (That said, the original post at the very top of the thread seemed fairly normal.)
Old Apr 8, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've had a few comments/looks mainly from other passengers in the priority queues or turning left, probably because I look young and dress down. However, I must say the service on board is great, especially from WW and EF crews, I get spoiled and mothered a bit but I'm not complaining.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by missdimeaner

Wait till they stop saying it - my experience once the grey came in

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.