Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Attitude/presumption from ground staff about travel class (check-in; lounges)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Attitude/presumption from ground staff about travel class (check-in; lounges)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2018, 7:50 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
There’s a reason all three New York area airports are 100th, 99th and 98th respectively... in the list of America’s 100 best major airports.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by AlastairGordon
What year is this, 1950? There are scruffily dressed youthful tech millionaires everywhere. These days whether you’re a Porsche dealer or a snooty BA agent, you judge someone based on their age or their clothes at your peril.
Good lord, when we went to the dealers to buy my Boxster, the salesman insisted on addressing all responses to my questions to my husband. I nearly got up an walked out. It was only when he realised that I was serious about leaving AND my husband told him that I would take the deal elsewhere that he changed his manner and tone. Couldn’t have been more grovelling after that.

So don’t pre-judge women either.
Calloway likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: Tesco Clubcard, Heathrow Rewards, M&S Sparks, Caffč Nero, HSBC rewards... BAEC defector
Originally Posted by IanFromHKG
I had another pax say almost the same words to me once. So I smiled and said "And for oneworld emerald cardholders, actually - although I happen to be both".

And sometimes people in other queues can be downright resentful...
How true. The one time I actually did feel quite annoyed (verging on a DYKWIA moment) was at MIA, while connecting AA-BA from South America to London. For some reason AA couldn't issue my boarding pass, so I was stuck landside at MIA for nearly 12 hours while being very sleep deprived (and I was so looking forward to the then new-ish MIA Flagship lounge). When the single BA desk finally opened (supposedly for bag drop), I queued in the empty line and was totally ignored while the agent kept calling passengers over from the economy line. The guy queuing in the priority line did manage to cut in though. When I finally got her attention, she snapped at me and told me that the bag drop line wasn't open yet (then why was she sitting at the desk labelled such [???])... until she pulled up my details, realised I was only re-checking a bag and getting my boarding pass, or that I was in J, or that I was OWE, or maybe a combination, and oh boy, did her attitude change . Naturally, the next-in-line in the regular line was also grumbling and one of the "ladies" did decide to come up to the counter, tap me on the shoulder, and point out the (very obvious) line.

But I guess, "in BA's defence here", I did come back from a near-backpacking trip, in flip flops, with hiking boots tied to my carry-on. And also "in BA's defence", I probably got more "attitude" from other J passengers on the flight than from the staff.

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Both JL and CX even on the ground the minute they see your boarding pass / you're in F that's it - you'll be treated exactly the same as all of the other F passengers, really doesn't seem to matter what you're wearing or how old you are. Probably the most 'egalitarian' treatment in F there is - if that makes sense!
They don't even need to see your boarding pass. You get no attitude even for queuing in the lines before they had the chance to see your boarding pass...
Old Apr 7, 2018, 8:13 am

What year is this, 1950? There are scruffily dressed youthful tech millionaires everywhere. These days whether you’re a Porsche dealer or a snooty BA agent, you judge someone based on their age or their clothes at your peril.
Hah, good point. I remember going to an Audi dealership wearing just jeans and t-shirt, wanting to test drive an S4. The dealership was not busy and after being ignored for quite a while I eventually approached a salesperson to ask about a test drive and was told there were none available and that was it. Fair enough, maybe there weren't any but he made no attempt to see about scheduling one for a future date or even asking me for contact info in case they had one available at a later date. A week or so later I walked into a Porsche dealership, wearing jeans and t-shirt, wanting to test drive a Cayman S. I was immediately warmly greeted and got into a test drive within 10 minutes. I bought the Porsche.
Tiger_lily likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by 07L 25R
How true. The one time I actually did feel quite annoyed (verging on a DYKWIA moment) was at MIA, while connecting AA-BA from South America to London. For some reason AA couldn't issue my boarding pass, so I was stuck landside at MIA for nearly 12 hours while being very sleep deprived (and I was so looking forward to the then new-ish MIA Flagship lounge). When the single BA desk finally opened (supposedly for bag drop), I queued in the empty line and was totally ignored while the agent kept calling passengers over from the economy line. The guy queuing in the priority line did manage to cut in though. When I finally got her attention, she snapped at me and told me that the bag drop line wasn't open yet (then why was she sitting at the desk labelled such [???])... until she pulled up my details, realised I was only re-checking a bag and getting my boarding pass, or that I was in J, or that I was OWE, or maybe a combination, and oh boy, did her attitude change . Naturally, the next-in-line in the regular line was also grumbling and one of the "ladies" did decide to come up to the counter, tap me on the shoulder, and point out the (very obvious) line.

But I guess, "in BA's defence here", I did come back from a near-backpacking trip, in flip flops, with hiking boots tied to my carry-on. And also "in BA's defence", I probably got more "attitude" from other J passengers on the flight than from the staff.
US check in desks are an odd special case, I think - you seem to either get someone so friendly you want to hug them or someone who clearly shouldn't be in a customer facing role / should probably be applying for a job with the TSA instead. Each time I've checked in for a BA flight at IAD they've been so shockingly rude (even as OWE traveling in F) that I've wondered if it was perhaps worth making a complaint. The IAD lounge staff in contrast are wonderful.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 8:42 am
Suspended

Indeed. All true.

However, the scumbags are still scruffy and many of them are young, so it's not as easy to tell. Better to err on the side of caution and assume they are a scumbag until they demonstrate otherwise.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
Wow. You're a WEEGIE.
Yes....but with a Newton Mearns accent.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by antichef
Been there, had that experience! And the Merc dealer when I turned up to buy on on a nice sunny day on one of my motorbikes.
This. Repeatedly.

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Good lord, when we went to the dealers to buy my Boxster, the salesman insisted on addressing all responses to my questions to my husband. <snip>
So don’t pre-judge women either.
And this! Most recently, when I went to buy a Jeep I would ask the dealer a question and he would respond directly to my husband, as if my husband was a ventriloquist. Once it became clear the vehicle was for me the first words directed to me by the salesman were "What's your favorite color?" Yes we purchased elsewhere.

I actually find this kind of thing amusing (as does my husband) but maybe I've jut got a thicker skin. I don't find the actions in the original post rude or judge-y.

That said, on Monday I'm flying AA with my lowly BA blue level non status so I fully expect to be spat upon as I trudge my way back to coach.
Tiger_lily likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:51 am

I've flown quite a bit in J and F across different airlines, and I've never had an issue onboard or with ground staff that I recall. I do think that if you don't acknowledge the flight attendants as you board, and you head straight for J or F that you will, more times than not, be asked for your boarding pass. I appreciate that. Keeps me from having a difficult conversation with some random person in my seat. I'm only 36, and am usually in jeans, a t-shirt, flip-flops, and have my Tom Bihn Tri-Star.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Gold
My parents taught me to dress properly for flying. Until about 2010 (when my flying pattern changed), I usually wore a suit.
After a night in KL last year, I went George Patton ("Nuts to that") and wore shorts. It felt extremely uncomfortable and I have returned to smart casual.

Many people I've seen in J can barely eat with a knife and fork. I really don't care how people dress, but it gives some insight into their upbringing, like dirty shoes.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by 20Rothmans
Many people I've seen in J can barely eat with a knife and fork. I really don't care how people dress, but it gives some insight into their upbringing, like dirty shoes.
I would hazard to suggest that 20 Rothmans gives some insight into one's upbringing as well...
Old Apr 7, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
I have experienced the same attitude many times. I had my first J flight when i was 19 and i got my Star Alliance gold status when i was 21. Now, i really dont look like a J passenger or a star alliance gold. Might be the baby face in combination my vans shoes and tracksuit bottoms i usually travel with...My last one was when i was coming back from Mexico city with LH. I was queueing in the priority lane for J and Star alliance gold when a LH employee approached me and asked to see my ticket ( bear in mind he skip all the others).
LH employee: 'Sir your line is there' ( pointing in Y line)
Me: 'No its not, there is a capital G on my ticket' ( thats was my very first DYKWIA moment and hopefully the last )
LH employee seems rather confused, gives my ticket back and walks away without even apologizing...
Old Apr 7, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
I love the comments from jerub and bitter profit(I am BNA based too!!).
Recently flew BNA to ATL (in F) to connect to Air France(Biz) and noticed a heavily tattooed dude acting like gate lice(emphasis was on HIS behavior!! and not as much his appearance) but his HORRIBLE cold was much more noticeable. I prayed that he would be in coach but nope, he sat right in front of me in F. I confess that I was MUCH more worried about getting his URI than I was the tattoos and his behavior(how hard is it to have some tissues dude?) as Nashville gets some very interesting travelers to say the least(and yes we have MANY musicians,singers and songwriters from all genres which is why it is so wonderful to live here). I know the transport people(wheelchair assistants very well here-as they are legal immigrants from the Middle East and I have had the good fortune to help them with unrelated to work health care issues) as they have helped both an elderly family friend and my mother.

Our population has been and is becoming surprisingly increasingly diverse. Since I work in the health care sector I use a language line almost daily for translation issues with an unbelievable number of dialects. Thank goodness for that!

After living here for almost 15 years, Nashville is really NOT a Southern city any more(which is a good thing) but most of us natives and long term residents can still be very charming and hopefully not as judgmental as people think we are. I am judgmental about passengers who travel who are sick though. Stay home.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I would hazard to suggest that 20 Rothmans gives some insight into one's upbringing as well...
You are entitled to your opinion. If you have an issue with my upbringing, I would be delighted to hear it. There is no need to get personal.
Calloway likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by rsqrott
This. Repeatedly.

And this! Most recently, when I went to buy a Jeep I would ask the dealer a question and he would respond directly to my husband, as if my husband was a ventriloquist. Once it became clear the vehicle was for me the first words directed to me by the salesman were "What's your favorite color?" Yes we purchased elsewhere </snip>..
Yeah. I had a 911 itch that needed scratching 2 years later. I didn’t go back to that particular dealer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.