Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Attitude/presumption from ground staff about travel class (check-in; lounges)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Attitude/presumption from ground staff about travel class (check-in; lounges)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2018, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
I don’t see a problem with staff ensuring that passengers accessing a lounge/boarding queue/check-in desk/cabin are entitled to do so by virtue of FF status or having paid for the privilege. It is, after all, part of their job to help passengers navigate their way through the airport and restrict access to certain facilities to those entitled to them.

There is, naturally, a “way” of doing this and while I’m sure most staff handle this discreetly and gracefully, there is the odd report of staff being a bit more ham-fisted in this regard.

But what does amaze me is how willing some passengers are to enforce this. If I’m standing in a priority boarding queue, a gate agent is perfectly entitled to check I’m in the right place. But what business it is of fellow passengers to challenge this, I don’t know (and it has happened to me before).

Maybe I’m just not wired that way, but I would never dream of turning around and telling someone they were in the wrong queue or lounge.

It reminds me a little of the have-a-go vigilantes on YouTube who challenge drivers on their mobile phones. Only worse as at least those people are doing 1) something wrong and 2) that could have an impact on others.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I can't tell you how many times another F pax has snipped at me for being in front of them in line with "This is for FIRST CLASS only!".
I had another pax say almost the same words to me once. So I smiled and said "And for oneworld emerald cardholders, actually - although I happen to be both".

And sometimes people in other queues can be downright resentful. I remember one time when I was checking out of a Hyatt in New York and went to the elite queue (there was no-one in it, and no-one manning the desk, but I decided to stand there anyway). There was a huge queue in the non-priority line (maybe forty people?), and a guy snarled at me - can't remember the exact words, but something like "Hey bud, can't you see there's a line, why should you get special treatment?" - in a pretty aggressive manner. So I flashed my card, smiled sweetly and said "Because I have one of these". The lady servicing that huge line happened to finish with her customer at just that point, and said "that's quite right, sir, please come forward". Bless her.

Originally Posted by richi
Is it common? I'd say it's not uncommon. That aspect of the company culture runs deep, and is to an extent reflective of traditional British culture (but decreasingly so, I'm glad to say).
Ugh - I really do like to think that we DON'T have a traditional British culture of being rude to customers, although I must admit there was a while during the 90s and 00s when that was the case. I think that nowadays the service culture in Britain is improving. BA, sadly, do seem to be a bit slow to catch up on that. The best take on this I have seen is
from the wonderful Pam Ann (see 00:35, 00:48. 2:22 and 2:28).

In any case, the rudeness is inexcusable. How much extra effort would it have taken to add a few words - "Good morning, sir, are you flying First today?" Instead of "First?". A couple of calories at most...

Last edited by IanFromHKG; Apr 7, 2018 at 5:15 am Reason: Missed one of the BA references in the clip!
Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: Some
I think a lot of this comes down to staff member experience, really.

I am fairly sure the vast majority of the staff manning, say, the check-in area at LHR are used to seeing a very wide range of customers coming through the F Wing and so probably wouldn't think of challenging the majority of customers based solely on appearance as they're well aware there is no 'typical' look for a BA F passenger these days. In contrast, I can well imagine at smaller outstations which see fewer passengers (and where those in J are often in suits) that someone deemed to be not dressed appropriately may be challenged on attempting to enter a priority queue or a lounge. Equally, I think outsourced service providers are just ruder / more abrupt anyway as the right incentives to provide good customer service are often not in place.

In BA's defence here, I am young, almost entirely in F or J and rarely travel in a suit (albeit casual rather than scruffy) and can't recall a single occasion where I feel I've been challenged as to whether I was really entitled to be somewhere. As has been said before, I think it ultimately boils down to how the customer is reacting and if you're acting as if you're supposed to be there rather than looking worried you're probably much less likely to be challenged.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:17 am

Also on that topic, the one time recently I did actually wear a suit in the CCR coming straight from the office I was walking with purpose towards the bar when one of the other guests tried to stop me to ask for a drink, clearly thinking I was a CCR member of staff. His apology when he clocked I wasn't was priceless and very English
squawk likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by se1lad
I doubt any self respecting teenager would go anywhere near the PCs in the Concorde Room, unless they had a desperate need to use Office 2000 or an out of date version of Internet Explorer!
Some might actually like the fact that there is a PC museum in the CCR.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Bronze
The last few times I’ve flown from JFK I’ve been on the morning flight - normally coming straight from a club to check in (easier than getting up early).
I dress for comfort usually dungarees nowadays and trainers, I did see a party of 4 being shown the way to the Y check in from the J one and have in the past had someone want to show me where ‘normal’ security was. In reality it doesn’t affect me - I don’t care if they DKWIA
Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:29 am

I've rarely faced resistance despite often looking a bit scruffy. I actually did a whole trip back from Australia in my pyjamas the other day. Usually I change back into my jeans before landing but I really couldn't be bothered on this journey (rather hungover) so kept PJs on throughout layover in HKG. Didn't encounter any patronising looks at lounges or boarding along the way.

I find that acceptance of 'non-premium' clothing varies a bit by culture, but particularly in HK/China I find it's not unusual to see some rather whacky outfits in J. Similarly in the USA where many premium pax dress like they are sitting on their front porch.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I've rarely faced resistance despite often looking a bit scruffy. I actually did a whole trip back from Australia in my pyjamas the other day. Usually I change back into my jeans before landing but I really couldn't be bothered on this journey (rather hungover) so kept PJs on throughout layover in HKG. Didn't encounter any patronising looks at lounges or boarding along the way.

I find that acceptance of 'non-premium' clothing varies a bit by culture, but particularly in HK/China I find it's not unusual to see some rather whacky outfits in J. Similarly in the USA where many premium pax dress like they are sitting on their front porch.
Both JL and CX even on the ground the minute they see your boarding pass / you're in F that's it - you'll be treated exactly the same as all of the other F passengers, really doesn't seem to matter what you're wearing or how old you are. Probably the most 'egalitarian' treatment in F there is - if that makes sense!
Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Marriott Gold
What year is this, 1950? There are scruffily dressed youthful tech millionaires everywhere. These days whether you’re a Porsche dealer or a snooty BA agent, you judge someone based on their age or their clothes at your peril.
Calchas likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Hardly surprising when it's something that can be experienced in normal everyday life.

People here think because I'm a Glaswegian/Scot I must drink a bottle of whisky a day.
And lets not forget the Deep Fried Mars Bars as well!!!!
Old Apr 7, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by AlastairGordon
... These days whether you’re a Porsche dealer ... [snip]... you judge someone based on their age or their clothes at your peril.
Been there, had that experience! And the Merc dealer when I turned up to buy on on a nice sunny day on one of my motorbikes.

... and also when dropping SWMBO's porker in for a service!
Old Apr 7, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ShuttleRunner
​​​​​​I don’t use bag tags, am a woman, 25, and travel alone most of the time. I am also GfL
A GfL at 25 ? I almost feel a twinge of sympathy for you
Old Apr 7, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by IanFromHKG
I had another pax say almost the same words to me once. So I smiled and said "And for oneworld emerald cardholders, actually - although I happen to be both".

And sometimes people in other queues can be downright resentful. I remember one time when I was checking out of a Hyatt in New York and went to the elite queue (there was no-one in it, and no-one manning the desk, but I decided to stand there anyway). There was a huge queue in the non-priority line (maybe forty people?), and a guy snarled at me - can't remember the exact words, but something like "Hey bud, can't you see there's a line, why should you get special treatment?" - in a pretty aggressive manner. So I flashed my card, smiled sweetly and said "Because I have one of these". The lady servicing that huge line happened to finish with her customer at just that point, and said "that's quite right, sir, please come forward". Bless her....
There is a scene like this in "Up In The Air".
Old Apr 7, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Loved the Pam Ann sketch
ML
Old Apr 7, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by antichef
There is a scene like this in "Up In The Air".
A movie I watched in horrified fascination as I checked off a steadily lengthening list of parallels with my own life*

*Disclaimer: I look nothing like George Clooney

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.