FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Complimentary champ in ET (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1902439-complimentary-champ-et.html)

frandrake Apr 5, 2018 8:23 am

Complimentary champ in ET

Earlier this morning I was travelling in ET from LHR to LIN and I was kindly offered a complimentary glass of champagne. While I found this very nice, given it was only 10am (and I already sunk a 2007 Slovenian Malvazjia last night) I declined and asked for a coffee instead. I was brought the nice BoB Java Republic coffee, without being asked to pay.

I was in 10A (exit row on the A319 I was on) and I noticed my fellow travellers not being extended the same courtesy, so I was wondering what happened here.

Its not my bday, I am “only” Gold and it was a simple redemption flight...

Any clues on what might have happened here?

UKtravelbear Apr 5, 2018 8:26 am

The crew recognising your Gold Status. In the total number of BA passengers Golds are a very small number indeed.

TravellerFrequently Apr 5, 2018 9:45 am

From the thread title, I thought BA was providing some hearty Irish food!

Steve_ZA Apr 5, 2018 9:59 am

I thought the title was a new euphemism for ambient snacks ... no chance of those appearing in ET though. I've never had anything from CE while in ET but I have accepted the offer a glass of champagne while in WT+, even that doesn't happen regularly.

ThatT1Feeling Apr 5, 2018 10:02 am

Best I have received is a small packet of shortbread on one flight and a cup of tea on another in maybe 25-odd sectors this year. Never been offered a glass of fizz in ET (yet - crosses fingers :) )

ajeleonard Apr 5, 2018 10:14 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 29605665)
The crew recognising your Gold Status. In the total number of BA passengers Golds are a very small number indeed.

Yup FT gives a misleading impression. The new boarding system has made it more obvious, on a recent 3 class longhaul I was the only person in the group 1 (i.e. gold) queue

Welcome On Board Apr 5, 2018 10:14 am

Premier, Gold and Silver card holders and their guests are being randomly surprised with complimentary drinks in ET as part of a ‘Easter surprise and delight event’.

frandrake Apr 5, 2018 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Welcome On Board (Post 29606102)
Premier, Gold and Silver card holders and their guests are being randomly surprised with complimentary drinks in ET as part of a ‘Easter surprise and delight event’.

Ah this would make sense, as in the Group 1 queue at LHR I had 3 pax before me and at least 10 after me, which greatly exceeded CE avail.

Also, the entire exit row had the two middle seats empty, thus I assumed there was at least another Gold on the other side as well.

Interesting though, and very much appreciated indeed!

london1 Apr 5, 2018 2:19 pm

Ive been offered complimentary champagne after we had bought a half bottle whilst in ET. It was a morning flight and a full bottle had been opened for CE, the purser said it would be thrown away so was happy to give it to us to finish 3/4 of a bottle, 2 silver card holders.

BABenchley Apr 5, 2018 2:29 pm

Just want to clear the confusion. There are two different things here. Crew recognizing customers using club products in euro traveller e.g. tea, coffee etc and the trial recognizing silvers and golds using BOB drinks.

TPRun Apr 5, 2018 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by BABenchley (Post 29607126)
Just want to clear the confusion. There are two different things here. Crew recognizing customers using club products in euro traveller e.g. tea, coffee etc and the trial recognizing silvers and golds using BOB drinks.

is there more than one trial route for this now?

booogle Apr 5, 2018 2:44 pm

Myself and my partner were offered a glass of champagne or "anything else we'd like" today on LHR-MAN while in ET. We didn't take up the offer but it was nice to be asked.

deboyzoned Apr 5, 2018 3:39 pm

Similar thread opened earlier ... https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post29605925

scottishpoet Apr 5, 2018 4:00 pm

This is different from the free hot drinks trial on selected GVA flights

This random gesture to golds has been happening for a few months and not just on selected GVA flights

JMurray Apr 5, 2018 4:03 pm

Was offered this last Friday under the guise of 'you're my only Gold onboard today'.

Purser tried to deliver the champagne very subtly using the disguise of a birthday, only to be ruined by me, rather loudly, proclaiming that it wasn't my birthday until November :o