Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Globaliser
Mid-J 747 Refurbishments
In April 2018 BA announced that they had started a programme to refurbish the cabins on the Mid-J 747-400 fleet. In January 2020, this programme was completed.

As part of the refurbishment all of the aircraft involved have undergone a basic refresh which consisted of:

* Full aircraft deep clean
* Seats in WT/WTP refurbished with new seat foams and cushions as on Super Hi-J aircraft

9 of the aircraft received an ENHANCED refurbishment to bring the cabin up to the same standard as the Super Hi-J 747-400 fleet. This consisted of what is listed above plus:

* New carpets fitted throughout
* All curtains replaced
* New Panasonic IFE fitted in all classes

Note: It was initially believed that the enhanced refurbishment included LED mood lighting throughout, but this is not the case. All retained standard lighting. There were no plans to install WiFi to any Mid-J configured 747-400 aircraft.
Refurbishment Progress
Note: Aircraft that have undergone an ENHANCED refurbishment are shown in red

Aircraft are listed below in the order that they were refurbished and show return to service date, along with retirement date where applicable.

G-CIVM - 03 April 2018 - Retired 16 Mar 2020
G-CIVN - 22 April 2018 - Retired 16 Apr 2020
G-CIVD - 28 June 2018 - Retired 8 August 2020
G-CIVO - 14 October 2018 - Retired 11 September 2020
G-CIVT - 11 November 2018 - Retired 3 April 2020
G-CIVA - 14 January 2019 - Retired 3 April 2020
G-CIVJ - 28 January 2019 - Retired 15 April 2020
G-CIVC - 03 March 2019 - Retired 6 November 2020
G-CIVE - 24 March 2019 - Retired 16 September 2020
G-CIVP - 08 April 2019 - Retired 21 September 2020
G-CIVL - 20 April 2019 - Retired 14 April 2020
G-CIVU - 11 October 2019
G-CIVK - 25 October 2019 - Retired 26 September 2020
G-BNLY - 24 November 2019
G-CIVB - 25 January 2020 - Retired 8 October 2020

Print Wikipost

Mid-J 747 Cabin Refresh

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by Seppy
I've been tracking BA59 for tonight like you Hearingdouble (I'm also on it) and the good news is that Flightradar changed late last night from G-CIVP to G-CIVO - so it should be a refitted plane with new IFE.

G-CIVO arrived even earlier at 9:05am this morning from Denver- I guess that for the long layovers like that the plane is towed to engineering (I fear minimal hoovering based on the images on here) but for only just over 3 hours planes like G-CIVC will simply remain at the gate between flights.
Very welcome news! (Assuming that the IVO allocation sticks for the next 10 hours.)

To be honest though, this makes me all the more puzzled about frame allocation. Why would BA allow a 744 to sit unused at LHR all day? How do they choose which frames to allocate to which routes? Surely they’d want to avoid the effort of towing a frame off-stand if at all possible? Might be one for the “Ask The Staffer” thread...
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by hearingdouble
To be honest though, this makes me all the more puzzled about frame allocation. Why would BA allow a 744 to sit unused at LHR all day?
Might there be planned maintenance work to be done, perhaps?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
*delete*
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:25 am

CIVP just set off on her way to Cardiff. Enhanced refit (new IFE & mood lighting) expected I think with return to service early April.

CIVE is due back in service any day now following enhanced refit .
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Brigadier Big Moustache
CIVP just set off on her way to Cardiff. Enhanced refit (new IFE & mood lighting) expected I think with return to service early April.

I wonder whether the same drivers might bring her home tonight, then.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I wonder whether the same drivers might bring her home tonight, then.

That would be far too sensible!
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Brigadier Big Moustache

Not a minute too soon! Flew her CPT-LHR on Saturday. IFE needed resetting twice, multiple issues trying to fast-forward and rewind also.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:12 am

For what it's worth, I ended up flying on a fully refurbished frame outbound (CIVO) and an un-refurbished frame inbound (CIVU).

To anyone reading this thread with gnawed fingernails, trying to work out whether they'll get a refurbished frame or not, I wouldn't worry too much (at least not in J). While obviously CIVO was great - just like flying on a Super-Hi J, with excellent IFE quality - both planes were equally clean and comfortable with equally good Mixed Fleet service (as usual). Lovely cool cabin temperature on both flights, too. The only thing I would say on an un-refurbished frame is to take your own entertainment -- it wasn't working on CIVU, and required multiple re-sets.

I'm guessing that the differences will be more pronounced in Y and W.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold, Marriott Platinum
Looks like G-CIVE fired up for a couple of test flights over the weekend from CWL so hopefully she'll be back at LHR any day now. Off to MIA on BA207 on Thursday so the fingernails really are being gnawed as i'm in Y!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:34 am

Just back from CPT on CIVD in F. Cabin was spotless and while IFE was old it worked just fine
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:23 pm

Hello everyone - I’m new to the forum but am excited about the great information available here.

It’s been 10 years since I was on a BA 747, but am flying PHX-LHR and return in mid-April. I noticed it’s going to be potluck on whether I get an Enhanced Refresh bird, but it seems likely that it will at least be a Basic Refresh. I put together a spreadsheet using Flightradar24 data about PHX-LHR aircraft distributions over the last three months. BA seems to pretty evenly distribute PHX-LHR among all of the older airframes (figures :-/ ), but that it looks like five Basic refreshes, six Enhanced and five “no-work-at-all” birds. If CIVL goes to Cardiff in April as I saw listed (and if CIVE comes back), that will take out one of the no-work-at-all’s, will add another Enhanced and make my odds better. One question I have is: CIVB (another no-work-at-all bird) has been in Dublin for about 10 days. I assume that’s a maintenance check, but I can’t find any reference online about it, nor does that mean any interior work is being done. Anything to make me feel better about flying BA right now? AA is starting PHX-LHR at the end of March (772); I kind of wish I’d known about BA’s quality issues, especially since I’m earning AA miles on BA anyway.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Image7801
Hello everyone - I’m new to the forum but am excited about the great information available here.

It’s been 10 years since I was on a BA 747, but am flying PHX-LHR and return in mid-April. I noticed it’s going to be potluck on whether I get an Enhanced Refresh bird, but it seems likely that it will at least be a Basic Refresh. I put together a spreadsheet using Flightradar24 data about PHX-LHR aircraft distributions over the last three months. BA seems to pretty evenly distribute PHX-LHR among all of the older airframes (figures :-/ ), but that it looks like five Basic refreshes, six Enhanced and five “no-work-at-all” birds. If CIVL goes to Cardiff in April as I saw listed (and if CIVE comes back), that will take out one of the no-work-at-all’s, will add another Enhanced and make my odds better. One question I have is: CIVB (another no-work-at-all bird) has been in Dublin for about 10 days. I assume that’s a maintenance check, but I can’t find any reference online about it, nor does that mean any interior work is being done. Anything to make me feel better about flying BA right now? AA is starting PHX-LHR at the end of March (772); I kind of wish I’d known about BA’s quality issues, especially since I’m earning AA miles on BA anyway.
CIVB is in Dublin for repaint to retro Negus paint. Should be out soon ish.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:27 pm

Thanks. I guess I could console myself with one of the retro birds (BNLY, CIVB), although it seems neither of them have an updated interior...
I guess I’ll just need to make sure my iPad has lots of movies on it.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by Image7801

One of the retro livery airfcraft was in PHX last Thursday night. While the AA flight is appealing (and I’ve booked it for a pair of daytime flights to have Wi-Fi and to take advantage of the earlier timing), I class is intentionally blocked by AA on many dates resulting in a frequently higher fare for the AA flight (about $600 each way).
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver; SPG Gold; UA; DL; AA
Originally Posted by george77300

CIVB is in Dublin for repaint to retro Negus paint. Should be out soon ish.
Singapore_Air likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.