Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Globaliser
Mid-J 747 Refurbishments
In April 2018 BA announced that they had started a programme to refurbish the cabins on the Mid-J 747-400 fleet. In January 2020, this programme was completed.

As part of the refurbishment all of the aircraft involved have undergone a basic refresh which consisted of:

* Full aircraft deep clean
* Seats in WT/WTP refurbished with new seat foams and cushions as on Super Hi-J aircraft

9 of the aircraft received an ENHANCED refurbishment to bring the cabin up to the same standard as the Super Hi-J 747-400 fleet. This consisted of what is listed above plus:

* New carpets fitted throughout
* All curtains replaced
* New Panasonic IFE fitted in all classes

Note: It was initially believed that the enhanced refurbishment included LED mood lighting throughout, but this is not the case. All retained standard lighting. There were no plans to install WiFi to any Mid-J configured 747-400 aircraft.
Refurbishment Progress
Note: Aircraft that have undergone an ENHANCED refurbishment are shown in red

Aircraft are listed below in the order that they were refurbished and show return to service date, along with retirement date where applicable.

G-CIVM - 03 April 2018 - Retired 16 Mar 2020
G-CIVN - 22 April 2018 - Retired 16 Apr 2020
G-CIVD - 28 June 2018 - Retired 8 August 2020
G-CIVO - 14 October 2018 - Retired 11 September 2020
G-CIVT - 11 November 2018 - Retired 3 April 2020
G-CIVA - 14 January 2019 - Retired 3 April 2020
G-CIVJ - 28 January 2019 - Retired 15 April 2020
G-CIVC - 03 March 2019 - Retired 6 November 2020
G-CIVE - 24 March 2019 - Retired 16 September 2020
G-CIVP - 08 April 2019 - Retired 21 September 2020
G-CIVL - 20 April 2019 - Retired 14 April 2020
G-CIVU - 11 October 2019
G-CIVK - 25 October 2019 - Retired 26 September 2020
G-BNLY - 24 November 2019
G-CIVB - 25 January 2020 - Retired 8 October 2020

Print Wikipost

Mid-J 747 Cabin Refresh

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Thanks, Scotflyer80. Wikipost now updated.

As there has been no more discussion of reconfiguring any of the 52J aircraft to 86J, I have also deleted the references to reconfiguration because they were potentially confusing.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I flew G-CIVT to LAS on 1st sep ( in CW upper deck) and the cabin looked quite clean

Flying back from LAS on Wednesday night ( in WT+) was on G-CIVC and it looked in worse condition ( ie stains under on the bulkead bassinet)-as I was in 12B but moved to 12A as it was unoccupied.

Regards

tbs
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:32 am

I’ve 2 Mid J flights booked for next year, to CPT in F in March and to LAS in J in July. What’s the likelihood I’ll get an upgraded flight(s) based on the current refurb timelines?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: BAEC- Silver
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I flew G-CIVT to LAS on 1st sep ( in CW upper deck) and the cabin looked quite clean

Flying back from LAS on Wednesday night ( in WT+) was on G-CIVC and it looked in worse condition ( ie stains under on the bulkead bassinet)-as I was in 12B but moved to 12A as it was unoccupied.

Regards

tbs
We were in 15 D and E on that flight. I thought that the plane was grim. Our outbound was from Gatwick on G-YMMC and it was no better.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IslingtonFlyer
I saw on The BA Source that G-CIVO positioned LHR-CWL on the 7th Sep for maintenance so I'm hoping this is for it's refresh including new IFE as per the wiki?
Interestingly, the local group logs G-CIVO as arriving on 3 September - though as there could have been a 747 swap on 7 September, for this one I'd put my money on the BA Source.

Either way, she's been there for a couple of weeks now, so it does seem consistent with this work being done now as previously suggested.
IslingtonFlyer and FinnRolo like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Hi, how do I find out if my BA58 and BA59 flights from LHR- CPT in June next year would be refurbished?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FrogTastic
Hi, how do I find out if my BA58 and BA59 flights from LHR- CPT in June next year would be refurbished?
You could ask Mystic Meg, or anyone else whose crystal ball is in good working order.

From past experience of refurbishment schemes, none of us here will be able to tell you with any degree of reliability at all, until there is some preliminary allocation of a particular aircraft to your flight (probably) a few days before the flight and even then only if the insiders who can get access to the information are prepared to tell you. And even after that point there could yet be late substitutions, even up to a few hours before departure.

So there is nothing you can do until the whole sub-fleet has been completed.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Silver VS EI
Am I right in saying that with the exception of the three planned 747 mid J retirements this year all the remaining will be refreshed between now and next year!! However some with just new seat covers & not New IFE!
I have the “dreaded” LAS :-) in WT+ next March so I expect there’s a good Chance of more been refurbed by then! Very interesting thread! I love the 747 and hope to keep flying her till the end.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ATCOlad
Am I right in saying that with the exception of the three planned 747 mid J retirements this year all the remaining will be refreshed between now and next year!!
I don't think that we can be sure about that. Can I help you has recently said that 9 out of the 18 mid-Js will be refurbished, which is a smaller number than the information which has been distilled into the wikipost (see BA 289 to Phoenix).

So things may well have changed.

One thing that I do notice, though, is that there are nine asterisks in the list - so I wonder whether it's 9 more to be done, all of them to include the new IFE?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold, Marriott Platinum
G-CIVO positioned back to LHR this lunch time after several weeks at Cardiff maintenance. Will be interested to hear if it has been given the refresh that includes the updated IFE! Does any one have any more details?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by IslingtonFlyer
G-CIVO positioned back to LHR this lunch time after several weeks at Cardiff maintenance. Will be interested to hear if it has been given the refresh that includes the updated IFE! Does any one have any more details?
It has been given the full refresh, with IFE and cabins to the standard of the Super Hi Js
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: BAEC, AerClub
Originally Posted by MFCC

It has been given the full refresh, with IFE and cabins to the standard of the Super Hi Js
Am going to keep all fingers and toes crossed that I'll get lucky and this will be the bird I'm on next Wednesday to Vegas.
If I were a betting man... I'd be thinking that the 18/1 odds make it a bit of a long shot.
TedToToe likes this.

Last edited by FinnRolo; Oct 11, 2018 at 4:28 pm
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Are the aircraft being refurbished with new seat covers in WT/WTP and Panasonic IFE also receiving new carpets/curtains and mood lighting in all cabins as with the 86J fleet? MFCC's post would appear to confirm this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Genius1
Are the aircraft being refurbished with new seat covers in WT/WTP and Panasonic IFE also receiving new carpets/curtains and mood lighting in all cabins as with the 86J fleet? MFCC's post would appear to confirm this.
We’ve been told just that they’re being refurbed ‘to the same standard’. I would assume this would include mood lighting etc but more unsure about carpets and curtains. One of my colleagues (or other FTer) may be able to confirm or deny either way.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:46 am

Hi all. I'm new to this forum but just been reading this thread with keen interest having just booked LHR - LAS (World Traveller) for April next year. It's almost certain to be a 52J for that flight but like everyone else I'm hopefully it will be one that's been through the refit. Although whatever the interior, keen to get what may be my last chance to fly on a 747, an aircraft that captured my attention as a child and still makes me stop and look up.

Some of the 52J's have been through a cabin refresh, but it looks like G-CIVO is the first 52J to get the Panasonic IFE, have I got that right? I'll be watching to see what routes it gets after its refit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.