Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Globaliser
Mid-J 747 Refurbishments
In April 2018 BA announced that they had started a programme to refurbish the cabins on the Mid-J 747-400 fleet. In January 2020, this programme was completed.

As part of the refurbishment all of the aircraft involved have undergone a basic refresh which consisted of:

* Full aircraft deep clean
* Seats in WT/WTP refurbished with new seat foams and cushions as on Super Hi-J aircraft

9 of the aircraft received an ENHANCED refurbishment to bring the cabin up to the same standard as the Super Hi-J 747-400 fleet. This consisted of what is listed above plus:

* New carpets fitted throughout
* All curtains replaced
* New Panasonic IFE fitted in all classes

Note: It was initially believed that the enhanced refurbishment included LED mood lighting throughout, but this is not the case. All retained standard lighting. There were no plans to install WiFi to any Mid-J configured 747-400 aircraft.
Refurbishment Progress
Note: Aircraft that have undergone an ENHANCED refurbishment are shown in red

Aircraft are listed below in the order that they were refurbished and show return to service date, along with retirement date where applicable.

G-CIVM - 03 April 2018 - Retired 16 Mar 2020
G-CIVN - 22 April 2018 - Retired 16 Apr 2020
G-CIVD - 28 June 2018 - Retired 8 August 2020
G-CIVO - 14 October 2018 - Retired 11 September 2020
G-CIVT - 11 November 2018 - Retired 3 April 2020
G-CIVA - 14 January 2019 - Retired 3 April 2020
G-CIVJ - 28 January 2019 - Retired 15 April 2020
G-CIVC - 03 March 2019 - Retired 6 November 2020
G-CIVE - 24 March 2019 - Retired 16 September 2020
G-CIVP - 08 April 2019 - Retired 21 September 2020
G-CIVL - 20 April 2019 - Retired 14 April 2020
G-CIVU - 11 October 2019
G-CIVK - 25 October 2019 - Retired 26 September 2020
G-BNLY - 24 November 2019
G-CIVB - 25 January 2020 - Retired 8 October 2020

Print Wikipost

Mid-J 747 Cabin Refresh

Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
And why would they have two types of IFE on the same aircraft?
This is what also surprises me. I can't understand how it would be technically sensible to have two parallel IFE systems on board one aircraft. Yet the BA Source was specific that the new IFE had been fitted to G-CIVM, and it would make sense that she should be one of the 9 as she is one of the youngest mid-Js.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by mjh0
As a regular inmate of the LHR-PHX route, I tend to agree.

Me too ; hope it is the PHX flight! On another note, as the 747's are retired what will be the replacement?
Old Apr 7, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I don't understand it either, in that I can't see how they could easily maintain two IFE systems on the same aircraft. As far as I know it's never happened before, so I presume CIVM hasn't had (yet?) the Panasonic system installed.
I agree that having the two separate systems would be downright odd - I'd assume you need two-different banks of controllers and servers, and two different networks on the aircraft to support the different gear.

There will likely be a significant weight saving from converting to Panasonic throughout too. Lighter weight monitors and in-seat hardware, and the servers/controllers will be lighter too - no spinning disks on the Panasonic gear, it's all SSD.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The BA Source is seeking confirmation on this, currently saying:-
British Airways B747-400 G-CIVM Returns from Cardiff Maintenance.

... we have had reports both that the aircraft has been fitted with Panasonic IFE and that it hasnt and are awaiting confirmation.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
The BA Source is seeking confirmation on this, currently saying:-
From an FT perspective:

- we know for sure (if you believe @jk156, which I do) that it hasn't got the upgraded IFE in CW
- we have no reports from anyone having flown it in Y/W

As such the assumption must be that it hasn't had the IFE upgrade at all.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
From an FT perspective:

- we know for sure (if you believe @jk156, which I do) that it hasn't got the upgraded IFE in CW

Absolutely. What was notable was that the BA Source (which we always presume to be accurate) also thinks that its earlier information may have been wrong, and has said so. In addition, they may get further information as well - as indeed we might too from our contributors.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:23 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Deleted

Last edited by FlyerTalker6245; May 23, 2020 at 7:41 am
Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by andset1191

As stated in the press release, 9 of the 16 will get the Panasonic system.
But the IFE question aside - it's still not true to say that this refurb is to the same standard as the Super-hi J planes.

They may have had a deep clean and it's possible that CW seat covers are new, but otherwise the CW cabin still looks far more tired than those 744s that have been fully spruced up. The lighting has not been updated and the rest of the seat 'hardware' was tatty in places where I was sat. Having flown out to SFO on a super-hi J (CIVW) just a few days before experiencing the 'refurbished' CIVM, there is still a pronounced gulf between the two finishes.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by remedy
Me too ; hope it is the PHX flight! On another note, as the 747's are retired what will be the replacement?
I keep hoping BA will order some 747-8 but I know the chances are near zero sadly. Given how poor the A380 is with cargo that's not an option (and PHX really would need major changes to support an A380).

My understanding is that it would likely be the A350-1000, though it's not clear what BA will do if they intend to continue with a second flight and it is a reduction in seat capacity. Maybe a 788/789 for a second flight? I'm guessing PHX will be one of the last 747 52J routes given the hot climate and moderately higher altitude compared to other routes.
corporate-wage-slave and Hoch like this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by dylanks

I keep hoping BA will order some 747-8 but I know the chances are near zero sadly. Given how poor the A380 is with cargo that's not an option (and PHX really would need major changes to support an A380).

My understanding is that it would likely be the A350-1000, though it's not clear what BA will do if they intend to continue with a second flight and it is a reduction in seat capacity. Maybe a 788/789 for a second flight? I'm guessing PHX will be one of the last 747 52J routes given the hot climate and moderately higher altitude compared to other routes.
I suspect you are right. Unusually for me, I had three return flights to PHX in March--two direct and one via LAX. The hassle of going via LAX was mitigated by the serenity of the 787 (out) and A380 (return). I remember on the last way back to LHR from PHX thinking that the 747 experience has had its day even in J upper-deck which I still enjoy.

PHX seems to be the route receiving the least love.

H
Old Apr 7, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
From an FT perspective:

G-CIVM def still has the Rockwell Collins system, and there have been no changes to the Club cabin. I think it was simply a change of seat covers in Y and Y+, plus a deep clean. No mood lighting.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by Hoch

PHX seems to be the route receiving the least love.

H
It has received the new catering style and new bedding earlier than most routes, it has the second flight a few days per week in the summer, and the lounge did receive a much needed refresh. While nothing amazing, it's received more love lately than many other routes. And of course it has the special OTP fare.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by remedy
Im flying this route in F in June. Heres hoping for a revamp sooner rather later....
Old Apr 7, 2018, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by shefgab
G-CIVM def still has the Rockwell Collins system, and there have been no changes to the Club cabin. I think it was simply a change of seat covers in Y and Y+, plus a deep clean. No mood lighting.
Looks like then that this is not one of the 9 which are receiving the Panasonic IFE.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:53 am

Any news of refreshed 747's on CPT routes ?

Hi, I'm heading to CPT on 23rd June - wondered if any of the old birds have had a spruce up yet..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.