Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Globaliser
Mid-J 747 Refurbishments
In April 2018 BA announced that they had started a programme to refurbish the cabins on the Mid-J 747-400 fleet. In January 2020, this programme was completed.

As part of the refurbishment all of the aircraft involved have undergone a basic refresh which consisted of:

* Full aircraft deep clean
* Seats in WT/WTP refurbished with new seat foams and cushions as on Super Hi-J aircraft

9 of the aircraft received an ENHANCED refurbishment to bring the cabin up to the same standard as the Super Hi-J 747-400 fleet. This consisted of what is listed above plus:

* New carpets fitted throughout
* All curtains replaced
* New Panasonic IFE fitted in all classes

Note: It was initially believed that the enhanced refurbishment included LED mood lighting throughout, but this is not the case. All retained standard lighting. There were no plans to install WiFi to any Mid-J configured 747-400 aircraft.
Refurbishment Progress
Note: Aircraft that have undergone an ENHANCED refurbishment are shown in red

Aircraft are listed below in the order that they were refurbished and show return to service date, along with retirement date where applicable.

G-CIVM - 03 April 2018 - Retired 16 Mar 2020
G-CIVN - 22 April 2018 - Retired 16 Apr 2020
G-CIVD - 28 June 2018 - Retired 8 August 2020
G-CIVO - 14 October 2018 - Retired 11 September 2020
G-CIVT - 11 November 2018 - Retired 3 April 2020
G-CIVA - 14 January 2019 - Retired 3 April 2020
G-CIVJ - 28 January 2019 - Retired 15 April 2020
G-CIVC - 03 March 2019 - Retired 6 November 2020
G-CIVE - 24 March 2019 - Retired 16 September 2020
G-CIVP - 08 April 2019 - Retired 21 September 2020
G-CIVL - 20 April 2019 - Retired 14 April 2020
G-CIVU - 11 October 2019
G-CIVK - 25 October 2019 - Retired 26 September 2020
G-BNLY - 24 November 2019
G-CIVB - 25 January 2020 - Retired 8 October 2020

Print Wikipost

Mid-J 747 Cabin Refresh

Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by djb1
G-CIVK returned to service on 4th Nov 18 after refurb, but not with Panasonic IFE.
So this was done at LHR in just a few days? Impressive.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:36 pm

That seems too quick for all that refurb work surely....? CIVK anticipated refurb date was stated as "TBC" in the recent list posted (after 4th November) by @TCX69

Also, and strictly not Mid-J refurb related (but it is related to Mid-J's) I notice that BNLK had an anticipated retirement date of November '18 and yesterday it landed at LHR and was moved to LHR maintenance shortly afterwards. Perhaps we now have one less 747 in the fleet.......... :-( .......... is someone chopping onions........ sniff sniff......
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brigadier Big Moustache
That seems too quick for all that refurb work surely....? CIVK anticipated refurb date was stated as "TBC" in the recent list posted (after 4th November) by TCX69
However, I noticed that it was TCX69 who edited the wikipost to give the 4 November 2018 completion date for G-CIVK. I don't know whether that was simply to incorporate what djb1 said, or whether TCX69 had separate confirmation. However, on the basis of past form we know that TCX69 does have access to information about these things.
Originally Posted by Brigadier Big Moustache
Also, and strictly not Mid-J refurb related (but it is related to Mid-J's) I notice that BNLK had an anticipated retirement date of November '18 and yesterday it landed at LHR and was moved to LHR maintenance shortly afterwards. Perhaps we now have one less 747 in the fleet ...
According to this post, she still has at least one more rotation left, planned for tomorrow: BA Fleet : New aircraft arrivals and retirements master tracker
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold, Marriott Platinum
G-CIVA moved over to Cardiff today according to theBASource. Based on the wiki looks like it's in for it's full refurb and should be back in action in Jan.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Flightradar24 has tomorrow’s BA283 (LHR-LAX) being operated by G-CIVM. Looks like I’ll have crappy IFE when it makes the return trip as BA282. Wiki shows this as the oldest refurb, which is better than no refurb I guess, though it has had 8 months to get grubby again.

{checks battery levels on both our IPads}
Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:15 pm

Hi All,

New to this site and just read through 18 pages of replies! Flying to JFK from Heathrow on BA175 and returning on 172. Can anyone advise if they normally use the same aircraft for this route (if so, does this have new IFE?)

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by eds1996
New to this site and just read through 18 pages of replies! Flying to JFK from Heathrow on BA175 and returning on 172. Can anyone advise if they normally use the same aircraft for this route (if so, does this have new IFE?)
Both flights at the moment mostly use 86J 747's (not the Mid-J ones being refreshed talked about here), but that does mean new IFE as far as you are concerned.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle
Both flights at the moment mostly use 86J 747's (not the Mid-J ones being refreshed talked about here), but that does mean new IFE as far as you are concerned.
Thank you! I’m not really up to date with plane talk (86J, mid-J etc) so it was just easier to ask. Thanks again
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold

Thank you! I’m not really up to date with plane talk (86J, mid-J etc) so it was just easier to ask. Thanks again
No problem, if you stick around you will pick it all up! Someone probably will be giving you an official welcome very soon, until then enjoy your trip to JFK and flying 747's, hope it goes well
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:11 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle
... Someone probably will be giving you an official welcome very soon ...
That'll be me ^

Hi All,

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to FlyerTalk eds1996 and especially to the BA section. As you have already seen, we have a great crowd here who are always happy and willing to help and share their experiences. I hope you'll stay around and join in the fun. Please don't be shy in asking any question, no matter how daft you think it might be.

JFK is a flagship route for BA, and typically the JFK bound 747s have the latest inflight technology. You should be reasonably safe but there is a small chance of a late aircraft change and the substituted aircraft might not have the most recent IFE system.

Welcome aboard ^
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
That'll be me ^

Welcome to FlyerTalk eds1996 and especially to the BA section. As you have already seen, we have a great crowd here who are always happy and willing to help and share their experiences. I hope you'll stay around and join in the fun. Please don't be shy in asking any question, no matter how daft you think it might be.

JFK is a flagship route for BA, and typically the JFK bound 747s have the latest inflight technology. You should be reasonably safe but there is a small chance of a late aircraft change and the substituted aircraft might not have the most recent IFE system.

Welcome aboard ^
Thank you so much for the help! I tried asking on Trip Advisor but people were moaning at me because I asked about IFE and apparently it’s not the end of the world... but to me it is as I’m a bit scared of flying so it helps!
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:51 am

LHR-CPT 747's

gents - as a rule are there 2/3 jumbo's used on rotation for this route - been flying it for years and ever hopeful of getting a refreshed mid J aircraft, any thoughts on this route at all ??

cheers

Stuart
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Hi all, I've just booked a F trip from Denver to London in October next year - It is a 744, any idea whether the aircraft is likely to have been refurbished or not?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stuarto
as a rule are there 2/3 jumbo's used on rotation for this route
It doesn't work like that. Any aircraft in the correct configuration can be used (and if necessary, BA may even send an aircraft that's in a different configuration).

During the last month, BA has been using 18 mid-J aircraft - one retired during that period. Of those 18 aircraft, only one has not been to Cape Town during that period.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
Flightradar24 has tomorrow’s BA283 (LHR-LAX) being operated by G-CIVM. Looks like I’ll have crappy IFE when it makes the return trip as BA282. Wiki shows this as the oldest refurb, which is better than no refurb I guess, though it has had 8 months to get grubby again.

{checks battery levels on both our IPads}
and the IFE experience was just as bad as I thought it was going to be. The IFE was unavailable for the first 45 mins of our flight until they rebooted the entire system. I tried to watch the BBC news and the Premier league highlights, but both had audio that sounded like a dalek with a cold. I switched to the moving map and then dug out my iPad for the duration of the flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.