Wiki Posts
Search

Mitigating costs LHR to LGW

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Mitigating costs LHR to LGW

Quick question- our GLA LGW flight has been cancelled and we have been put on the LHR service. Our car is at LGW. There is talk of a coach being arranged, but if that falls through presumably I can get a taxi to Gatwick and get reimbursed by BA? As ever advice appreciated
Old Apr 4, 2018, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
In similar instances I have been given National Express vouchers. You mention a coach "being arranged"...is National Express not running?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Agent in lounge seemed to imply something specifically arranged- but I suspect we will find out more at LHR.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
National Express is pretty good between LHR and LGW - it goes as fast as a taxi in normal traffic on the M25, and is pretty comfortable. I suspect BA won't pay for a taxi, but you'd be looking at £80-£100 probably.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 2:08 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
£50 will be the most they pay unless you can make a case for why the coach wouldn't work for you. So long as you don't have to wait too long (and you can use the NEx App to see where your coach is in real time) then it's just as far as a taxi, gets nearer to the airport buidings, has plenty of legroom and fairly comfortable in my experience. And you don't have to listen to the driver's opinions on [random contentious but tedious topic goes here].
chrismk likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all, National Express tickets issued. Sadly an hour and a bit wait 😞
Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:03 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Surprised you're not taking the LHR-AMS-LGW FlyerTalk solution
Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Ha ha. Not sure Mrs Kipperman would concur....
golfmad likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
If having taken National Express the OP arrived several hours later at LGW than originally planned would he be entitled to compensation? (Depending on the reason for the initial cancellation obviously)
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
If having taken National Express the OP arrived several hours later at LGW than originally planned would he be entitled to compensation? (Depending on the reason for the initial cancellation obviously)
Yes
Old Apr 4, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by kipperman
Thanks all, National Express tickets issued. Sadly an hour and a bit wait ��
I'd be interested to hear how long you actually waited. I had a similar situation when BA diverted a MAN bound flight of mine to LBA. Again, we were all told a bus had been arranged but we had a near 2 hour wait and then the bus didn't have sufficient seats for everybody. The final straw came when we reached to outskirts of Manchester and the driver came on the microphone and asked if anybody knew the way to Manchester Airport!

If it happened to me again I would reluctantly just get a cab and take my chances with getting compensation.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 12:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by rapidex
Yes
Doesn't the multiple airports serving a city rule mean that they wouldn't get compensation?
Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
Doesn't the multiple airports serving a city rule mean that they wouldn't get compensation?
Probably from BA's point of view they would like to argue this and of course for many passengers where it doesn't make much difference if they were heading to central London (etc). There is an argument to be had on timings where if you are 2 hours late at LHR then you may have issues claiming 3 hours at LGW but generally consumers will win these sorts of arguments since the words "final destination" are fairly clear. Some routing arrangements have a "city" rule for reservation such that in many cases agents can re-route passengers easily between LHR/LGW/LCY/STN (and technically LTN). But EC261 is very clear on the transport point (Article 8.3) that the airline is responsible for paying the cost of transport.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:26 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
A couple of years back when the ATC computer got stuck in the night mode BA cancelled my LHR to ALC flight. The only CE seat available the next day was from LGW and due to the number of cancellations the team at F check in were swamped and asked if I could arrange my transport and accommodation myself and claim back. Having spent over two hours in LHR I couldn’t face another delay waiting for a coach so I took a black cab £165 which together with the Sofitel bill BA promptly paid
Old Apr 5, 2018, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Just a bit of an update and data point. We got issued National Express vouchers, but being rather late the service frequency was pretty dismal - so we had to wait until 23.40 for the next bus. We therefore arrived at LGW at 00.40- a delay of 4 hours and 5 minutes from the original arrival time of 20.35.

I wouldn't normally get too involved in going down the compensation route, but I have to say I was a bit miffed about the lack of information and perfunctory way in which the vouchers were handed out - a bit "here you are, now b*&8&er off ", with the chap not interested in explaining where to get the bus or when it would arrive. Fortunately by that time all of us refugees had gathered together and wandered off like a large flock of sheep to where the National express bus stops are. Only the internet gave us some clues as to how long we had to wait!

Is this worth pursuing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.