Wiki Posts
Search

BA passenger value index

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Marriott silver Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum
BA passenger value index

I read something a while ago that BA employs a passenger value index (not sure of the actual phraseology) in addition to the standard tier status. This index is used in determining upgrades for example at the gate - a Silver member might be more valuable than a Gold where the latter flies mostly One World.
Can anyone confirm this? It would be interesting to find out a personal rank to see the likelihood of upgrades.
It seems AA are using a value matrix for status these days purely based on $$.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Search for CIV on here for more info
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:00 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
http://www.headforpoints.com/2014/06...ividual-value/
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by HedleyVerity
Can anyone confirm this? It would be interesting to find out a personal rank to see the likelihood of upgrades.
Even knowing your CIV score isn't really going to tell you very much at all. At most, it's one of a number of different factors that are taken into account when deciding who to upgrade. There are plenty of reports of Blues - and even passengers who are not members of a frequent flyer scheme at all - being upgraded when Golds and Silvers in the same cabin on the same flight are left where they are.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The link above isn't accurate, this thread is a better start point (see CWS' post for the corrected numbers and expectation management):

A weird CIV-related question
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Ye, it exists. You can't however directly extrapolate your level (CIV score) to a likelihood of upgrades - as you have already indicated some Silvers may get upgraded over Golds, however a high Silver's CIV will always be lower than a low Gold's CIV under the current system.

As a Gold, your score will be somewhere between 56?? and 96 I think.

GGLs are 97-99

GGLs for Life are 100

Prems are 105 I think

In order to find out your number, you could ask the senior cabin crew member on your flight whether they will tell you, or you could write to BA requesting it - you may have to pay for the privilege.

However it's essentially a relatively useless piece of information in itself, as how it's used in practice is a mystery to most of us, especially when it comes to upgrades.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:15 am

I read something a while ago that BA employs a passenger value index (not sure of the actual phraseology) in addition to the standard tier status. This index is used in determining upgrades for example at the gate - a Silver member might be more valuable than a Gold where the latter flies mostly One World.
It seems AA are using a value matrix for status these days purely based on $$.
Your CIV number has nothing to do with the likelihood of upgrades. BA uses a much more complicated algorithm than that, and often hands out upgrades to BAEC Blues over BAEC Golds.
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Ye, it exists. You can't however directly extrapolate your level (CIV score) to a likelihood of upgrades - as you have already indicated some Silvers may get upgraded over Golds, however a high Silver's CIV will always be lower than a low Gold's CIV under the current system.

As a Gold, your score will be somewhere between 56?? and 96 I think.

GGLs are 97-99

GGLs for Life are 100

Prems are 105 I think

In order to find out your number, you could ask the senior cabin crew member on your flight whether they will tell you, or you could write to BA requesting it - you may have to pay for the privilege.

However it's essentially a relatively useless piece of information in itself, as how it's used in practice is a mystery to most of us, especially when it comes to upgrades.
I think the current CIV ranges are:

Non-EC known customers - 0-4
Blue - 5-11
Bronze - 12-25
Silver - 26-51
Gold - 52-96
Gold Guest List - 97-99
Gold Guest List for life - 100
Premier - 105
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
I think the current CIV ranges are:

Non-EC known customers - 0-4
Blue - 5-11
Bronze - 12-25
Silver - 26-51
Gold - 52-96
Gold Guest List - 97-99
Gold Guest List for life - 100
Premier - 105
Great -thank you. I was dredging up from memory and I knew that the Gold band had changed to start somewhere in the 50s! I remember being really keen to find out my number and then being disappointed it was lower than I expected (I was on about 4500 TPs as a Gold at that time when Gold started at 36 - I was expecting somewhere in the high 80s and I was high 60s I think!)
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster
And I muse on either of these actions resulting in BA deducting 10 points immediately! ;->
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rapidex
Your CIV number has nothing to do with the likelihood of upgrades. BA uses a much more complicated algorithm than that, and often hands out upgrades to BAEC Blues over BAEC Golds.
Haha, that’s a good one!! ^
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Although it is all proprietary, OPUPS's and paid opportunities are a means for a carrier, BA in this case, to put a passenger who does not ordinarily fly in a premium cabin, into a premium cabin and accordingly win that passenger's premium business going forward.

Conversely, the passenger who may fly a lot but depends on paying less than the premium fare through upgrade opportunities is merely cannibalizing the premium brand.

There are apparently some substantial number of customers who would never consider paying for F. CW, WT+ until they have tried it.
stewaran likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
or you could write to BA requesting it - you may have to pay for the privilege.
If you wait until 25 May you almost certainly won’t have to pay for the privilege as a result of the changes being introduced as part of the GDPR.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by lcylocal

If you wait until 25 May you almost certainly won’t have to pay for the privilege as a result of the changes being introduced as part of the GDPR.
True - however I am more worried with GDPR about accidentally asking to be forgotten through fat fingers and losing all of my Lifetime Tier Points
Old Apr 4, 2018, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wearing a Burton suit and a club tie clutching a box of Cadbury Roses for the check-in girl worked for this Blue......although I think it was my smile that did the trick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.