FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Suggestion for Tier Point runners: Can we do some sort of a Matrix learning session? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1902204-suggestion-tier-point-runners-can-we-do-some-sort-matrix-learning-session.html)

AlmostBritish Apr 4, 2018 1:44 am

Suggestion for Tier Point runners: Can we do some sort of a Matrix learning session?

Hi everyone,

As I am writing this, I am still enjoying the sun in Bucharest. My latest tier point run has come to an end, and I am on the 17:55 flight to London today.

What I especially loved about this tier point run, was the fact that I met a couple of people throughout the flights. Of course, the main chatter was about finding good flights, and the love for flying in general. Not to forget talking about the amazing lounges we already visited.

Because of this, I started thinking. We all follow the amazing thread regarding Tier Point runs, and we have some amazing FT'ers who are absolute masters at figuring out these deals, and know how to play around with them. My knowledge is fairly basic to be fair. I know how to select alliances, and sometimes even specific stops, but that's about it.

As I have yet to attend a meet-up, but I really want to, I thought maybe we can combine learning about Matrix with a meet-up. I would love to be able to share some deals or combinations I found with the rest of you, however I know that my knowledge is limited. Would this be an interesting idea for everyone? Maybe it has been done already, if so I am genuinely sorry.

Hope to hear from you.

PS. I loved the transcon flight JFK to SFO and LAX to JFK. AA has a great business class product. And Susan Sarandon was in First on my return flight!: :)

teledude Apr 4, 2018 3:15 am

There may or may not be an ITA masterclass in PHX at the August DO..... Run by @KARFA :D

AlmostBritish Apr 4, 2018 3:24 am

Oh my! Should book another one then!

madfish Apr 4, 2018 7:29 am

Interesting comments about the Transcon. Just done JFK/LAX/JFK in F. I was somewhat underwhelmed, but that may be because I did an early morning on the outbound and the red eye on the return. Service was virtually non-existent on both flights and CC seemed more interested in themselves than the customers. However, I did J a couple of years ago, and my experience of that was much more positive. Doing the same route four more times this summer so will wait and see.

As for matrix training, I can only imagine trying to run a workshop in PHX with some of those going... could be very messy and boisterous!

tedcruz Apr 4, 2018 7:30 am

Is there even enough time in PHX to have such a class?

AlmostBritish Apr 4, 2018 8:02 am

Originally Posted by madfish (Post 29601243)
Interesting comments about the Transcon. Just done JFK/LAX/JFK in F. I was somewhat underwhelmed, but that may be because I did an early morning on the outbound and the red eye on the return. Service was virtually non-existent on both flights and CC seemed more interested in themselves than the customers. However, I did J a couple of years ago, and my experience of that was much more positive. Doing the same route four more times this summer so will wait and see.

As for matrix training, I can only imagine trying to run a workshop in PHX with some of those going... could be very messy and boisterous!

i truly believe the power of good cc’s. As I have been a flight attendant myself, I am quite picky on whether the service was good or not. In all fairness, I was not, in the slightest, impressed with my domestic first class experiences with AA. I have to admit that the crew (on the transcon flight) was lovely, and did everything to make my flight more comfortable (purser even believed that glasses should be full at all times, even when you didn’t want to drink lol).

and I do have to note the incredible crew on my ba flight from jfk on a 747 on the upper deck. As I had quite a tiresome day, with some issues at security in both lax and jfk, they did everything to help me. It was a quiet flight, but I know from experience that some cc’s take that as a reason to catch up on their reading on Netflix shows on their iPad.

Perhaps a personal class could be arranged? Lol maybe that would make life a little easier. You certainly get a lot of “what if” questions on a training like that haha

teledude Apr 4, 2018 10:22 am

I'll try and arrange a whiteboard and projector :D

Fitch Apr 4, 2018 10:59 am

In the spirit of FT, may I suggest a webinar ?

Blue Skye Apr 4, 2018 11:09 am

I would be happy with a thorough wiki on what codes do what, and when/how to use them (for good or evil ;) ). Replicating some of the posted TP runs is easy(-ier) when the TP poster shares the exact matrix codes, and it's nice they share them. I'd like to be able to really fiddle around with various codes to harness the power of matrix for all types of trips, not just TP runs. YMMV

DoctorCopper Apr 4, 2018 11:15 am

Sorry Fitch, but in the spirit of FT may I suggest a winebar? Doc Copper

corporate-wage-slave Apr 4, 2018 11:27 am

Originally Posted by DoctorCopper (Post 29602164)
Sorry Fitch, but in the spirit of FT may I suggest a winebar? Doc Copper

Actually joking apart, with the best will in the world trying to put a learning session on with a Do probably isn't going to work too well, at least in terms of all the Dos I've been to. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try (and I'm happy to contribute too). May work better as a pre or post meet to a Do, somewhere more sensible than a pub.

choosethedrew Apr 4, 2018 1:05 pm

I'd love to attend a seminar of sorts! I'd never take anything in if I'd had wine though...

TPRun Apr 4, 2018 1:12 pm

Someone on here with some pull at a hotel (lol) would be able to get us a good conference room for a seminar pre-drinks? Bring your own laptop and it can be an interactive session! :)

Mountlodge Apr 4, 2018 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by tedcruz (Post 29601247)
Is there even enough time in PHX to have such a class?

Depends what time the hotel bar closes!!! :D
ML

Mountlodge Apr 4, 2018 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by teledude (Post 29601938)
I'll try and arrange a whiteboard and projector :D

I could be the Facilitator on the day if required. Done enough of it in the past
ML