Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New BA Routes 2018: Nashville, Tennessee (BNA)

Old Apr 3, 18, 3:48 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

The new BA service to Nashville is due to start on 4 May 2018 from LHR to BNA. I've been told there will be a bit more razzmatazz on this inaugural so it would be good to know if anyone else is going to participating in either the LHR-BNA service or the first departure from BNA to LHR.

Back story
British Airways to launch LHR - BNA Nashville, from 4 May 2018
Old Apr 3, 18, 3:48 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

Nashville - Basics
Nashville Airport (BNA) is about 8 miles east of downtown Nashville, with midtown Nashville another mile or two. It currently has 4 concourses, A through to D, all linked from a central security point. It's not a large airport, it takes under 10 minutes to walk from one end to the other.(airport map)

BA arrives into gate A5, but departs from B11 on other concourse. The logic for that is A5 has the only CBP and arrival segregation channel, but A is otherwise a United / Air Canada concourse. So rather than contaminate Star Alliance's set-up there, B11 is used for departing passengers, a dedicated BA gate, and the aircraft is towed between the concourses during the turnaround. I'm not convinced that this is a good idea, it adds an unnecessary 10 - 15 minutes to a very time sensitive operation.

BA checkin:
Check-in opens 3 hours 30 minutes before departure. It's in prime position in the middle of the check-in concourse so impossible to miss. There is some case for arriving approximately 7pm - the rush hour in Nashville starts unusually early, around 3pm so by 7pm it will have had a chance to return to normal. Currently the app doesn't work at BNA, but self print boarding passes do work, so Hand Baggage Only passengers can go straight through to security. Ground handling at BNA is done by dnata.

Hotel ideas:
There appears to be 2 main areas for hotels, downtown and midtown. Midtown is 2 miles from the city centre and has more local residents and students living there, with a good selection of shops and restaurants. Downtown Broadway has a the main drag of bars, plus the museums and other sights, though it's not that big and now very few people live there, the number of empty buildings is somewhat disconcerting. There are pluses and minuses with both locations, there isn't a "correct" location as such and it doesn't take long to get between the two areas. Note that hotel rates can be high, particularly at weekends when there are sporting events on. I stayed at Embassy Suites Vanderbilt, which is mid-town.

Travel links:
There is an inexpensive bus service 18 to Music City Center in downtown Nashville ($1.70, pay on the bus, they give change from smaller notes), which takes 20 to 30 minutes in normal traffic, however the service is only hourly and some local residents don't recommend its use. Taxis have a flat rate of $25, Uber is slightly cheaper if peak loading isn't in force. Uber picks up from the Shared Vans pick up point. If arriving call Uber after picking up your luggage/customs since your vehicle may only take a couple of minutes to arrive. The Shared Vans area is a short walk down a tunnel under the road, clearly signed from the car hire desks, one level below baggage reclaim

BA Lounge options
BA uses the AA Admirals Club upstairs in the rotunda by gate C10. It's not a large club, and it hasn't been refitted yet, but the staff are extra friendly and love to see BA passengers using it. There is clearly some CCR style schmoozing for the regulars. Unfortunately there's no deal on food as there is in Austin or San Diego, so it's just the normal food provision (biscuits, cheese and salad dips) and you'll get a drinks token (or two...). There is a guacamole stall in the evenings, and menu items can be purchased over the bar. Usual rules apply, so lounge access is granted to Club World travellers, no guests, BA Silver and above, Emeralds and Sapphire also get access plus one guest. The AA club at C10 is 5 to 10 minutes from B11.

Security and Global Entry:
This is expected to be enabled for BA passengers in the next few weeks, so bring your Known Traveler number to check-in. Currently it isn't on offer. Any updates here would be welcome. In my case it made no material difference, I was through standard TSA security in about a minute anyway, and I didn't see any significant queues there that evening, but a local resident says that queue times of 10-15 minutes do happen there. Once through security you have full access to all concourses.

Water
Bring your refillable bottles, there are water fountains right by security.

ATMs:
There are plenty both landside and airside

Bars and restaurants:
There are plenty of options airside, and many of them offer live music performances, just as the Nashville pubs and restaurants do in downtown and midtown.

Power sockets:
Plenty of USB and US 110 volt power sockets are available airside, and some landside too.

Wifi:
AA has its usual good quality wifi service in the lounge, with the standard login and password process. BNA has reasomably good free wifi throughout the airport via Boingo. Those with wifi packages or who pay for a day pass (etc) get reasonable fast speed, with a basic free service available so long as you let the browser run through a 30 second advert. If using Uber, you may want to get that through the system on the way to passport control. More details:
https://www.flynashville.com/about/D...122016wifi.pdf

USP: BNA has attempted to link in the city's culture and history for music, by displaying posters from artists who have performed in Nashville. Nashville was also the home of a big printing press industry, based around Printer's Alley in downtown, and the airport has a display from this period.
sunshinebob likes this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; May 6, 18 at 6:02 pm
Old Apr 3, 18, 9:31 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
Looks like the Admirals club at BNA is going to be rammed between 6 and 8PM most evenings as it's not the biggest of clubs. I'll be departing BNA on the 19th of May on my way home to SAN around 4PM, so I'll get to miss the madness this go round.
Old Apr 4, 18, 3:02 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
I am on the 4 May service to BNA in CW. Should be good.
Old Apr 4, 18, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
I'm in Y, 4th May to BNA and 8th May back. Only £360 ex-DUB when I booked.

From 36 pages of Sad News re corporate-wage-slave [He's flying economy for the first time very soon!], I gather the middle seats in row 20 are preferred, but looking to see if any blocks of 3 are available further back if lightly loaded.
Old Apr 4, 18, 3:28 am

Programs: IHG Gold, VS Silver, EK Silver, BA Blue
Nashville is a great up and coming city, lots of new hotels to try out.

When I was there last August, they were rebuilding the 'International' part of the terminal, but don't know if this included a new lounge. Only used the Delta lounge and that was truly dire.
Old Apr 4, 18, 3:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Nordic Choice Hotels Silver, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by Long JB View Post
Nashville is a great up and coming city, lots of new hotels to try out.

When I was there last August, they were rebuilding the 'International' part of the terminal, but don't know if this included a new lounge. Only used the Delta lounge and that was truly dire.
I find it very pricey though! At least on my dates in May every hotel in downtown Nashville was around $250 or more...
Old Apr 4, 18, 4:09 am

Programs: IHG Gold, VS Silver, EK Silver, BA Blue
Yes, it is an expensive city for hotels, not uncommon to get to NYC levels of pricing. Demand still outstrips supply, and a higher than average % percentage mix of upscale hotels, pushes prices on further.
florens likes this.
Old Apr 4, 18, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ianwall View Post
I'm in Y, 4th May to BNA and 8th May back. Only £360 ex-DUB when I booked.

From 36 pages of Sad News re corporate-wage-slave [He's flying economy for the first time very soon!], I gather the middle seats in row 20 are preferred, but looking to see if any blocks of 3 are available further back if lightly loaded.
Have a look also at row 30 too. Looking at the numbers, WTP is looking quite busy at the moment, so a UuA may not be offered (and a POUG won't be on that routing) but if an AUP comes up I would certainly take it if it didn't wreck the overall bargain you got there. WT looks to be filling up but it's certainly not full yet.
Maglev likes this.
Old Apr 4, 18, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by florens View Post
I find it very pricey though! At least on my dates in May every hotel in downtown Nashville was around $250 or more...
Hint ... Expedia.co.uk and Hilton Best Rate Guarantee ^
florens likes this.
Old Apr 4, 18, 11:53 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Nordic Choice Hotels Silver, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by ianwall View Post
Hint ... Expedia.co.uk and Hilton Best Rate Guarantee ^
The DoubleTree is $290, the Hilton $350. I‘m not spending that kind of money for a US hotel for 1 night excl. taxes...(7-8 May)
Old Apr 4, 18, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Direct flight from LHR? Is this the Flyertalk I knew and loved, now sadly disrupted by the recent ‘upgrade’? Whatever happened to ‘creative routings’?

Thanks for the clues on hotel prices, though. I may not bite!
dylanks likes this.
Old Apr 4, 18, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by florens View Post
The DoubleTree is $290, the Hilton $350. I‘m not spending that kind of money for a US hotel for 1 night excl. taxes...(7-8 May)
I must admit I was surprised at the rates, when I booked a few weeks ago, and I remember thinking this would be one those places where it would be more cost effective to hire a car and stay out of town, both of which I do my utmost to avoid. Still the HGI at the airport is USD 157, BNA isn't miles out from the city, and the city bus only take 20 minutes and $1.70. I went for the Embassy Suites which sounds like it is at a slightly lower cost due to rebuilding works ongoing there.

Moreover this is one of the few cases that Hilton points may be useful, with implied rates at $200 (40k points) and some at $150 (30k) so partpay may be your friend.

Then finally, what I call the last refuse of the grateful scoundrel: Avios! The cash BA hotel rates are quite competitive (didn't check flights + hotel but that usually doubles up the advantage). BA uses two code lines on the drop down, one with the word Airport in it, and one without that word and shows downtown places. Both have BNA in them. There is also the Avios rates from My Executive Club page, and in some cases by paying the lowest possible Avios rate, highest cash rate you can leverage a reasonable room rate.
florens likes this.
Old Apr 4, 18, 12:22 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I must admit I was surprised at the rates, when I booked a few weeks ago, and I remember thinking this would be one those places where it would be more cost effective to hire a car and stay out of town, both of which I do my utmost to avoid. Still the HGI at the airport is USD 157, BNA isn't miles out from the city, and the city bus only take 20 minutes and $1.70.

Moreover this is one of the few cases that Hilton points may be useful, with implied rates at $200 (40k points) and some at $150 (30k) so partpay may be your friend.

Then finally, what I call the last refuse of the grateful scoundrel: Avios! The cash BA hotel rates are quite competitive (didn't check flights + hotel but that usually doubles up the advantage). BA uses two code lines on the drop down, one with the word Airport in it, and one without that word and shows downtown places. Both have BNA in them. There is also the Avios rates from My Executive Club page, and in some cases by paying the lowest possible Avios rate, highest cash rate you can leverage a reasonable room rate.
Thanks CWS for the advice. I‘ll check this out too. As we are on a road trip and have a car anyway I am now booked in a Hilton property out of town. The rate is flexible though so I might change plans if one of your ideas proves to be good for my dates.
Old Apr 4, 18, 12:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Have you checked Airbnb? I’m travelling to Lexington KY later this month, hotels were astronomical and managed to get a nice 2 bed close to downtown for around £70 a night.
florens likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: