Advice on short connection time QR to BA at ARN

Old Apr 3, 18, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Advice on short connection time QR to BA at ARN

Qatar have rather unhelpfully retimed our return flight from Doha to ARN meaning that a comfortable 2hours to connect to our 21.20 LHR flight has now been shaved to a deeply uncomfortable 35 minutes. Looking at the back to back information, it does say that each gate does have a door that will allow you to be deposited back airside. Can anyone confirm that this is still current?

I'm thinking that I will need a plan B, possibly a fully cancellable ticket for the following day. Any further suggestions gratefully received......
Old Apr 3, 18, 2:10 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
I don't think QR and BA are in the same terminal at ARN, but someone could correct me. Moreover, I don't think DOH arrivals are security cleared, allowing you to be deposited airside without reclearing security. If you have bags, forget it as you'll be under MCT (even though QR through-check on separate tickets).
Old Apr 3, 18, 2:11 pm

Programs: BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
Hi kipperman,

Do I follow correctly that you are saying you have 35 minutes to connect from an inbound QR flight to an outbound BA flight at ARN?

If so, you'll have to cut your losses on the BA ticket already booked and indeed book one for the next day. BA and QR operate from different terminals at ARN and it will require you to take a bus to connect to the BA gate (or to go landside), so unless your QR flight is extremely early or the BA flight is late (or preferably both!) you haven't got a chance of making that connection I'm afraid.
Old Apr 3, 18, 2:13 pm

You will need a plan B, and that is someone who's risk tolerance is higher than most on this board.

You will need to change terminals, so you haven't got a chance, I'm afraid.
Old Apr 3, 18, 2:16 pm

Programs: BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
Originally Posted by BA6501 View Post
I don't think QR and BA are in the same terminal at ARN, but someone could correct me. Moreover, I don't think DOH arrivals are security cleared, allowing you to be deposited airside without reclearing security. If you have bags, forget it as you'll be under MCT (even though QR through-check on separate tickets).
I did this connection remaining airside recently, you get recleared for security before you board the bus between terminals (which you have to call by pressing a button on the wall!).
Old Apr 3, 18, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, GF Silver, IC Royal Ambass, Marriott Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation View Post
I did this connection remaining airside recently, you get recleared for security before you board the bus between terminals (which you have to call by pressing a button on the wall!).
and that bus took 10 mins to come when I did a QR-BA connection last October.

I would agree with others here; frankly little chance to make it by the time you've got off the plane, cleared security, transferred terminals and got to the next gate.
Old Apr 3, 18, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks all, you confirmed my suspicions. Plan B it is!
NeverFirst likes this.
Old Apr 3, 18, 2:52 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
There's a good Abba museum in Stockholm.
Cris L likes this.
Old Apr 3, 18, 3:15 pm

Does the schedule change enable you to push QR into rerouting or rebooking you to something more convenient?

Can you perhaps finish somewhere else in Europe? Or fly another day? Or perhaps even try and get them to route you to London!
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Apr 3, 18, 3:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by kipperman View Post
Qatar have rather unhelpfully retimed our return flight from Doha to ARN meaning that a comfortable 2hours to connect to our 21.20 LHR flight has now been shaved to a deeply uncomfortable 35 minutes.
Having flown over the past few years a multitude of QR/BA and vv itineraries from a good selection of European airports I wouldn’t agree that ‘2 hours to connect’ is in any way ‘comfortable’. My minimum would be at least double that, or even an overnight stay at the connecting airport. The potential downside of a missed connection, particularly with two separate tickets, demands an extra degree of caution.
volar and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 4, 18, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by kipperman View Post
Thanks all, you confirmed my suspicions. Plan B it is!
Are you still going to try Plan A? I'm wondering whether you might be better off simply changing the existing ticket now and using that the next morning, rather than consigning yourself to the near-certainty of actually using a second ticket the next day (especially if you stick with the idea of a very expensive fully cancellable ticket).
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 4, 18, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirBnb 700x Platinum, AC (never again)
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer View Post
Having flown over the past few years a multitude of QR/BA and vv itineraries from a good selection of European airports I wouldn’t agree that ‘2 hours to connect’ is in any way ‘comfortable’. My minimum would be at least double that, or even an overnight stay at the connecting airport. The potential downside of a missed connection, particularly with two separate tickets, demands an extra degree of caution.
Agree that
Seems to be on the return from the LH section of the flights, so the risk is purely returning to LHR or Ops Origin. Agree that on the return even 2 hrs to connect is cutting it tight.
I'm starting a QR flight in ARN in under 2 weeks and have a 2:55 layover which I am comfortable with.
Old Apr 4, 18, 5:53 am

Programs: AA EP 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I don't think QR will let you rebook for a schedule change of less than two hours, which appears to be the case here.

I'll be impressed if you make this; in your situation I would revise plan A to have a longer time in ARN, not keep the current plan A and have some plan B.

Do SAS or Norwegian have a late flight that's suitable for you?
Old Apr 4, 18, 6:47 am

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
i did QR to BA on Monday. QR lands at T5, and being one of the first out but landing behind Emirates and a UK flight it was about 10 minutes from doors opening exactly on time until I made it through passport control, then at another 30 minutes to get my bag back. At that point, your flight took off five minutes ago.

Once I had my bag, and dropping it off at business check-in with no queue, walking quickly it took me twenty minutes to transfer between terminals and get through priority security. So, with all that in mind, and allowing for the delay on my bag, I don't think anything less than an hour is physically possible. IF you are hand baggage only and there is a slight delay on your BA flight, there is a glimmer of hope that you'd make the BA flight, but the odds are basically negligible.
Old Apr 4, 18, 7:28 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by YacozA View Post
I'm starting a QR flight in ARN in under 2 weeks and have a 2:55 layover which I am comfortable with.
I had planned with a short overnight. Got hit by a double time change. The SH got pushed forwards and the outbound LH got pushed back. Thankfully the ARN hotel was refundable and I change for one in Stockholm. And, no. I won't be spending a minute of those 30 hrs in the ABBA museum.
LCY8737 likes this.

Search this Thread