Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Jet Time operating for mainline BA at LHR this summer

Old Apr 3, 18, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum

Looks like BA once again is wetleasing Jet Time for some flights this summer - just noticed it on a GLA-LHR flight in June. This seems to be over and above the Titan-operated flights at LGW.

The last time this happened, Jet Time used a 737 that required remote stand/bus at all airports and forcibly gate-checked everyone's rollaboard luggage, leading to delays. BA was also inconsistent about allowing customers with existing bookings to switch to "proper" BA flights.

Check your bookings!
Old Apr 3, 18, 10:42 am

So far BA have contracted Titan Germania and Jet Time, and are still looking for more aircraft.
Old Apr 3, 18, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by rapidex View Post
So far BA have contracted Titan Germania and Jet Time, and are still looking for more aircraft.
You forgot Aer Lingus, BA CityFlyer and NEOS, that well-known Italian holiday charter airline.
Old Apr 3, 18, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Plus Jota Aviation.
Old Apr 3, 18, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently View Post
Plus Jota Aviation.
BA Cityflyer have used them on an adhoc basis over the past few years. BA Mainline have never.

As for Jet-Time - this is also incorrect.
Old Apr 3, 18, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
You forgot Aer Lingus, BA CityFlyer and NEOS, that well-known Italian holiday charter airline.
Indeed I did. And I used to work for NEOS..
Old Apr 3, 18, 9:02 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by surryson View Post
BA Cityflyer have used them on an adhoc basis over the past few years. BA Mainline have never.

As for Jet-Time - this is also incorrect.
Oops.

Missed the LHR part.
Old Apr 3, 18, 9:50 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ajamieson View Post
Looks like BA once again is wetleasing Jet Time for some flights this summer - just noticed it on a GLA-LHR flight in June. This seems to be over and above the Titan-operated flights at LGW.

The last time this happened, Jet Time used a 737 that required remote stand/bus at all airports and forcibly gate-checked everyone's rollaboard luggage, leading to delays. BA was also inconsistent about allowing customers with existing bookings to switch to "proper" BA flights.

Check your bookings!
I used Jet Time a couple of time between LHR and CPH when they were running that route last time. Generally I preferred them to the "proper" BA flights on the same route.

In LHR it was always a remote stand, but in Copenhagen it was at the terminal. Is T5 not capable of attaching jetways to 737s,,was it just random coinsidence, or another operational reason? No problems with my carry on for those flights.
Old Apr 4, 18, 12:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
I used Jet Time a couple of time between LHR and CPH when they were running that route last time. Generally I preferred them to the "proper" BA flights on the same route.

In LHR it was always a remote stand, but in Copenhagen it was at the terminal. Is T5 not capable of attaching jetways to 737s,,was it just random coinsidence, or another operational reason? No problems with my carry on for those flights.
I think all Jet Time 737s operated from remote stands because T5 was not designed for 737s (no markings on the ground, probably other things too like airbridges, and whatnot).
Old Apr 4, 18, 1:32 am

Programs: AA EP 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I think there are also baggage handling issues with 737s at T5 because it assumes all baggage is in cans and 737s don't usually use cans, baggage is loose loaded. So I think these are easier to handle at a remote stand.
Old Apr 4, 18, 1:47 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
It begs the question why base the JetTime 737 at Heathrow, and not swap it with a Titan 320 at Gatwick?
Old Apr 4, 18, 1:52 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I think there are also baggage handling issues with 737s at T5 because it assumes all baggage is in cans and 737s don't usually use cans, baggage is loose loaded. So I think these are easier to handle at a remote stand.
Interetsing, so that means that the even BA A319s will be with containers for hold luggage. I thought it was relatively rare for the A319/A320 to use containers.
Old Apr 4, 18, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
For the short-of-memory, this is the 2016 thread about Jet Time's last sojourn with BA, including the somewhat odd policy of forcibly gate-checking all wheely bags. It starts off with a lot of assurances that the service will be very similar to BA, the ends with people's actual experiences painting a somewhat different picture!

I wonder if the same issue will occur with RFS wrongly being unavailable on Jet Time-operated flights?
Old Apr 4, 18, 3:48 am

Does anyone know when what dates BA are leasing aircraft?
Old Apr 4, 18, 3:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by ajamieson View Post
For the short-of-memory, this is the 2016 thread about Jet Time's last sojourn with BA, including the somewhat odd policy of forcibly gate-checking all wheely bags. It starts off with a lot of assurances that the service will be very similar to BA, the ends with people's actual experiences painting a somewhat different picture!

I wonder if the same issue will occur with RFS wrongly being unavailable on Jet Time-operated flights?
I travelled in 2016 on a Jettime flight and could bring my wheely bag onboard.

Search this Thread