Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Jet Time operating for mainline BA at LHR this summer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jet Time operating for mainline BA at LHR this summer

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Interetsing, so that means that the even BA A319s will be with containers for hold luggage. I thought it was relatively rare for the A319/A320 to use containers.
It's my further understanding that BA standardising on an Airbus short haul fleet was partly to be able to use containers (ULDs) for all baggage, to have a standard (and less labour-intensive) way to load all aircraft.

The 737 (and derivatives) hull design is old enough that it has inward-opening doors, as it was designed before there was high confidence in outward-opening door locking mechanisms. Therefore it can't handle containers well, as you can't put the last container in just behind the door and close the door as you can with an outward-opening door. Also, the hold is not ULD-shaped.

The A320 (and derivatives), being newer, was designed with outward-opening doors and ULD compatibility from the start.

LHR T5 does have a few baggage belt loaders but you rarely see them in operation - if you look at the stand equipment around LHR T5 aircraft the belt loader is conspicuous by its absence, compared to somewhere like Stansted where almost all baggage is loose-loaded (Easyjet, Ryanair, etc). Instead, a set of ULD trolleys and a container loader is present.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
I enjoyed my last JetTime flight was a bit different and meant no BoB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.