Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

ATC flow reductions at LHR and LGW for next ten days

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Introduction of EXCDS on Heathrow and Gatwick approach and TMA South...

https://nats.aero/blog/2018/04/prepa...ng-transition/
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue, Radisson, Accor
That explains the cancellations on the Heathrow to Edinburgh route over the next few days. Up to 2 flights a day cancelled.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 1:59 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Scott Pilgrim
Introduction of EXCDS on Heathrow and Gatwick approach and TMA South...

https://nats.aero/blog/2018/04/prepa...ng-transition/
What does that actually mean in terms of reductions though? Is it a 10% reduction, 5%, 20%?

Will it mainly affect the busier peak times or throughout the day?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Short term pain but very welcome in the longer term. Amazing it's been paper strips for so long - but I guess this highlights the complexities of changing a wheel whilst the car keeps moving....
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Indeed, I was impressed by the electronic system at JER 8 years ago in 2010.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Pascoe
- but I guess this highlights the complexities of changing a wheel whilst the car keeps moving....
especially for something as critical as ATC. The tower itself at LHR is already on electronic strips.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Remember that principle of yours KARFA and tell the flight deck when boarding when going into and out of LHR the new priority order is as follows:

1. My plane first
2.Then everyone else's

Back on topic, I really don't understand ATC at all, far too complex for me but technological advances are a good thing in many ways. However, like the pilots, and CC to an extent too, our lives really are in their hands so anything that makes it fitter for the 21st century and safer is a good thing.

Pete

Last edited by PETER01; Apr 3, 2018 at 8:33 am
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
Remember that principle of yours KARFA and tell the flight deck when boarding when going into and out of LHR the new priority order is as follows:

1. My plane first
2.Then everyone else's

I am prepared to hold a little if necessary to allow me to finish my drink
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Sounds like this could get a lot worse if the report of Eurocontrol breakdown is correct.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Brighterside
Sounds like this could get a lot worse if the report of Eurocontrol breakdown is correct.
Hopefully today's Eurocontrol problems will be isolated to today, and the NATS work can start unimpeded tomorrow. And I think we'd all want to send best wishes to Scott Pilgrim and all of NATS for a smooth transition.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Brighterside
For those who don't know how it works, there are some great posts in the thread on why fog causes delays created by Heathrow Tower, and in particular this post which explains the role Eurocontrol has in coordinating traffic.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27632906-post52.html

EDIT: even more information here http://www.eurocontrol.int/publicati...ns-centre-nmoc
yrin likes this.

Last edited by KARFA; Apr 4, 2018 at 5:38 am
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Hopefully today's Eurocontrol problems will be isolated to today, and the NATS work can start unimpeded tomorrow. And I think we'd all want to send best wishes to Scott Pilgrim and all of NATS for a smooth transition.
Thank you, but I walked out the building for the last time a few months ago now. Word on the street however is that Eurocontrol issues today may postpone this EXCDS introduction tomorrow, have to wait and see.

Originally Posted by BOH
What does that actually mean in terms of reductions though? Is it a 10% reduction, 5%, 20%?

Will it mainly affect the busier peak times or throughout the day?
Likely a blanket percentage reduction on each sector, and specific to that sector, though actual numbers I know not but able to be altered tactically as required through the ten day period.

Originally Posted by Pascoe
Short term pain but very welcome in the longer term. Amazing it's been paper strips for so long - but I guess this highlights the complexities of changing a wheel whilst the car keeps moving....
Some of my former colleagues may hold a slightly different point of view. As electronic systems go EXCDS is rather a dumb one, there likely won't be any really significant benefits for Terminal Control in the electronic environment until the new combined operations room with its all new equipment and systems opens a few years down the road from now, imo...
steve170461 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: EK Siver, Dusit Gold, Cycling Proficiency Test, Tufty Club Member and Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
from the FAQ's: Are any flights likely to be cancelled as a result of the disruption?
We do not anticipate any flights being cancelled as a result of the introduction of EXCDS. However, this would be a decision for individual airlines.

So whose decision was it? Any de-icing planned ?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
https://www.nats.aero/excds/ is quite informative but claims
Are any flights likely to be cancelled as a result of the disruption?
We do not anticipate any flights being cancelled as a result of the introduction of EXCDS. However, this would be a decision for individual airlines
From the sidelines, I have to wonder how they thought that a 20% flow reduction wasn't going to cause some cancellations ! Thanks for the advance warning, Scott Pilgrim.

Does this affect LCY as well?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:55 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by Scott Pilgrim
Some of my former colleagues may hold a slightly different point of view. As electronic systems go EXCDS is rather a dumb one, there likely won't be any really significant benefits for Terminal Control in the electronic environment until the new combined operations room with its all new equipment and systems opens a few years down the road from now, imo...
Interesting perspective - thanks Scott

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.