Search

LON - NY too much choice?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
LON - NY too much choice?

Hi,
We have a 2-4-1 voucher I am looking to use.

wecan go from any London airport.

our dates are flexible and we are looking at a Friday to Friday to give us the weekend to recover.
We have 104,000 avoid at present and are thing of September to mid October

The issue we have is my height at 2m 2cm so I would need Prem Eco at least.

With their being so many different aircraft with the possibility that within the same aircraft there could be different interiors how is one supposed to choose?

i as tempted by the BA001 but I kinda want the airport to be the start of the trip which isn’t really the case atLCY, that said it’s not a ga,e changer and LCY is quite good for getting home.

THEn we have the seat selection issue as I don’t always get to see it before I book.

oh first world problems

PS - does anyone know why I can’t see what I’m typing on here, it seems to shift up under the top of the text box
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:02 am

BA001 LCY-JFK is all business, so there’s no WT+ in it.

For the best WT+ on that route, I’d look for one of the B787 flights to Newark.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Sorry forgot to say it would seem there are enough points to consider business but I think it would be a waste in both directions
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
as a yardstick, I booked CW LHR-JFK on 241 for April 2018 (currently booked UD 747) 100,000 avois and £500 per person. I’m pretty happy with this and it sounds like something you could go with too?
my companion checked cash rates today and it’s £6k per person!
RockyRobin likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Originally Posted by RockyRobin
Sorry forgot to say it would seem there are enough points to consider business but I think it would be a waste in both directions
see my post above - and if you’ve nothing else to use the avois on, I say go for CW both ways (my reasoning: get to enjoy the daytime flight food/drink on way out, get to lie down to sleep on way back as it’s a 9pm flight home)
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I was impressed by the interiors standards aboard both 789 and 86J-744 on my recent flights to and from IAD. Both had smart looking CW and WT+ cabins. If you choose a 744, Expert Flyer's seat maps will indicate whether or not they are currently scheduled to operate with 86J.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Corpt
For the best WT+ on that route, I’d look for one of the B787 flights to Newark.

Yes, I was going to make that same suggestion, particularly in the bulkhead if you want to have room around the knees during the flight. Further back in the WTP cabin is ok if you are able to get your legs under the seat in front, but it's a very good WTP product on the 787 from the look of it. One thing to consider it WTP out, early flight, and AUP or POUG or whatever into CW for the return, to minimise jet lag, Try not to snooze going to the USA.

On the other hand one could try a Super J to JFK, buying WTP and see if you can game the system into pushing you into CW. I have heard of examples of the entire WTP cabin ending up in CW on that service (with the Do&Co catering to boot). Even if it didn't happen, you would have one of the best IFEs in the skies to distract you and hopefully a short flight time.

Also consider things like BOS, BWI and PHL, which all have fast train services to NYC, if that gets the right cabin or Avios option. Or make a virtue of a night in PHL or BOS (not sure I can extend that suggestion to Baltimore!).

Probably the one to avoid is LGW unless it's dirt cheap. Or they end up running the refurbed 777 on that sector, which I don't think has happened so far. LCY would be fantastic if you can make that happen, it's the sort of flight no-one forgets.
RockyRobin likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver
More related to Y travel on this route I was looking earlier at flights over the summer and to fly out of LGW in a lot of cases is at least £100 cheaper that flying out of LHR. It's actually something that's consistent on almost every day. It seems BA is trying to market the LGW option as the real 'budget' option to get to NYC. And actually the've made the prices quite reasonable in a lot of cases. Perhaps those more in the know could comment on this.

Also having taken this option a month or so ago and occasionally checking flight loads on EF, it seems BA also oversells the Gatwick flight regularly. I got bumped from Y to J last time as I guess a lot of people opt for the cheaper Y fare.

Also be advised OP that booking a Newark route, whilst a convenient way to get into the city using the train, it doesn't always guaretnee a 787 as they fly a lot of 777s to Newark.

Finally, for Jetlag reasons, the AA day flight return is a great option. It's not super early in the morning like the BA one but you can get to sleep in your own bed that same day. I'm on it tomorrow.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
More related to Y travel on this route I was looking earlier at flights over the summer and to fly out of LGW in a lot of cases is at least £100 cheaper that flying out of LHR. It's actually something that's consistent on almost every day. It seems BA is trying to market the LGW option as the real 'budget' option to get to NYC. And actually the've made the prices quite reasonable in a lot of cases. Perhaps those more in the know could comment on this.

Also having taken this option a month or so ago and occasionally checking flight loads on EF, it seems BA also oversells the Gatwick flight regularly. I got bumped from Y to J last time as I guess a lot of people opt for the cheaper Y fare.

Also be advised OP that booking a Newark route, whilst a convenient way to get into the city using the train, it doesn't always guaretnee a 787 as they fly a lot of 777s to Newark.

Finally, for Jetlag reasons, the AA day flight return is a great option. It's not super early in the morning like the BA one but you can get to sleep in your own bed that same day. I'm on it tomorrow.
Thanks for the AA tip but I’m 2-4-1ing so it has to be BA metal.

Is the reason everyone is aghast about Gatwick because of the aircraft or the airport? There must be a half decent lounge down there.

We’ve just been out for dinner and discussed it, tempted by the LCY out and say back from Boston or the like.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:03 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by RockyRobin
Is the reason everyone is aghast about Gatwick because of the aircraft or the airport? There must be a half decent lounge down there.
Aghast is probably putting it a bit strongly. It's just the aircraft, in many ways the newly fitted lounges, security, train connections and compactness of LGW make it a strong proposition for BA's customers. LGW only has 777 aircraft, which are not much loved around these parts (self included) but actually for a relatively short trip across the Atlantic it's not such a bad idea (compared to say 11 hours to Cancun). So I guess there is a case if the price is right They have only just started refitting the 777s there, and these have very good In Flight Entertainment systems, but the bulk of LGW's longhaul jets are right at the other extreme, with very old IFE systems and some of the seats are somewhat battered.
RockyRobin likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I think that also that there is the rumoured reputation ( don't know if the statistics prove it or not) that if the a 777 at LGW is delayed then the JFK route would be one to be cancelled ( as pax could be put on the LHR fights) although there has not been that maby comments on here recently/

Regards

TBS
RockyRobin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.