Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Very noisy family in the Edinburgh lounge at the moment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Very noisy family in the Edinburgh lounge at the moment

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:08 pm

Have the offending family taken up permanent residence in the lounge?

It would be helpful if originators would put a time/date in the title of threads where time is of the essence.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by janders01
use headphones
Isn't this rather a submissive answer? Why should the people being inconvenienced by uncontrolled kids be themselves inconvenienced by having to wear headphones if they do not want to?

Sadly in todays world basic good manners and respect for others does not seem to have a place. Personally given some of the reactions which I have seen, the best option appears to be to get the lounge staff to take control of the situation.

Besides many people, like myself, do not have headphones (or i-pads, i-phones or any of the other items millenials regard as basic necessities).

Happy Easter!
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Noisy family in the lounge. Do you
a) complain directly to the offenders and ask them to be quiet/reduce the noise;
b) complain to lounge staff for them to intervene; or
c) start a rant thread on FT.
all of the above and fast.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cruisr

Sadly, I have seen more parents that don’t know how to control their kids then ones that do.
Unfortunately, there are the parents who don't even try to control their kids. Often they're the ones that are unable to do it too, but to me it's inexcusable not to even try when others are impacted.....and if the kids cannot be controlled, then don't take them anywhere where they can disturb others.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by RGS5526
Have the offending family taken up permanent residence in the lounge?

It would be helpful if originators would put a time/date in the title of threads where time is of the essence.
FT helpfully does just that by time stamping posts.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by anniegray
Surely they don't need help to control their own kids!
I often find when travelling in first or club or staying in luxury hotels that the parents of unruly children can't contain them because they never have to. At home they will have a nanny but on holiday they are alone.

I often model how to entertain your child and moderate their behaviour (with their children not mine and I am a teacher)

i was once in virgin uc from dubai. A guy moved into the empty seats opposite with his child of about 2.5-so that his wife wasn't disturbed during the flight! The child then proceeded to jump from seat to seat and off the back into the aisle. He had no idea about how to keep her entertained. A crew member ended up looking after the child for most of the flight with him looking on helplessly after he said that he never really looked after her alone. They had no toys no books
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Admittedly I don’t recall ever mentioning to a parent that their child is being disruptive, apart from a passive agressive eye roll or shaking of my head, but I do believe in positive reinforcement to some parents. If a child has been very well behaved on a flight I have said several times “what a wonderfully well behaved boy/girl you have” usually accompanied by a swell of pride by the parent. I also think that it has the effect of making them more likely to discipline them going forwards, so a two prong approach may be needed!
Annalisa12 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF Platinum, SQ Silver
It's the same nuisance all the time, everywhere: Parents produce kids without thinking of the responsibilities that come with raising them and then dump them onto society to look after them.
20Rothmans likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Sydneyberlin
It's the same nuisance all the time, everywhere: Parents produce kids without thinking of the responsibilities that come with raising them and then dump them onto society to look after them.
You are so right. Raising the children - and the work involved in teaching the importance of good behaviour - is indeed the prime responsibility of the parents.

But there are times when the involvement of others can be very useful and effective ; as in this particular scenario, where I believe there is a duty on the part of BA lounge personnel to do what they can to set and maintain an appropriate tone within the lounge.

If on the other hand BA do not see this as any part of their own obligations, then they really should desist from describing their Galleries lounges as places where “you are greeted with calm and tranquil surroundings”
Old Apr 3, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: WASPAK
Smile RE

Originally Posted by Nicc HK
Isn't this rather a submissive answer? Why should the people being inconvenienced by uncontrolled kids be themselves inconvenienced by having to wear headphones if they do not want to?

Sadly in todays world basic good manners and respect for others does not seem to have a place. Personally given some of the reactions which I have seen, the best option appears to be to get the lounge staff to take control of the situation.

Besides many people, like myself, do not have headphones (or i-pads, i-phones or any of the other items millenials regard as basic necessities).

Happy Easter!
buy a headphones for next time, I think you will always meet people like this family Cheers
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Gold-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton Diamond-Hyatt Globalist-Marriott Gold-IHG Plat Amb-Accor Nobody
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
They don't work well for this kind of noise.
Ear plugs work better.
Or Ball Gags ! .... but note, this has a slightly embarrassing impact for those attaching them, and may incur some legal issues :O
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: WASPAK
Originally Posted by Sydneyberlin
use condoms
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:06 am

We have smoking rooms for addicted adults, why not complain to the airlines about addiing soundproof kid friendly rooms. A lot of kids have status like adults but get no appropriate amenities.

Last edited by Croupier; Apr 3, 2018 at 7:14 am
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Go and register a complaint at lounge reception FFS!

I had cause to do this at HKG’s F Pier lounge last month (teenagers out of control) - the response of the lounge reception was instant and effective.
Gotta love Hong Kong for their "having one of it"-attitude. I often noticed rather stern reactions when a previous polite approach failed. It's an interesting display of the culture clash between HKG and the mainland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.