Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Free drinks trial for BAEC Silver and Golds on selected short haul routes

Free drinks trial for BAEC Silver and Golds on selected short haul routes

Old Apr 7, 2018, 1:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by chongcao
I
I always insist free coffee, tea and water for everyone is the better way.
Even Air New Zealand does that for their cheapest trans-Tasman tix.
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 1:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Most welcome cuppa on LUX service today - delivered from CE cabin
Old Apr 7, 2018, 1:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Blueboys999
Added to which is the fact that AA still give all passengers a non-alocoholic drink and small snack so the offer of an alcoholic drink and more substantial snack to EXP's isn't as apparent to others as it would be on BA.
Yeah the Biscoff biscuit AA gives to Y passengers are quite nice. I bought few pack from supermarket to have them with coffee and tea. It is amazingly cheap yet taste good.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chongcao
Is BA getting worried as Lufthansa showed no interest of following the BOB trend?
Personally I think you've just about hit the nail on the head. When BoB was announced I'm pretty sure Alex Cruz was hoping that other legacy airlines would use that as an excuse to dump their complimentary food and drinks too. That would have put BA on a pretty level playing field with the other legacy carriers in their battle against the low-cost airlines. But it never materialised and BoB has just shown passengers that these days BA is all about penny-pinching to make more money. Nothing to do with a 'premium' experience anymore.

I've found it quite amusing (almost comical) over the last few months that many on this forum seem to be actively seeking out flights from third-party airlines or franchises on BA codes rather than BA mainline (BA CityFlyer, Sun-Air, Jota Aviation, Titan etc) just to receive a reasonable level of hospitality while they fly. And we saw during the strikes last year how happy passengers were when they got their soulless economy BA flights replaced by Qatar's complimentary service. So to say that passengers aren't really interested in food and drinks when they fly (the old 'it's only a bus in the sky' argument that got pushed here so often) is really a load of rubbish.

What BA are doing with this trial is testing the water, but it's pretty obvious, for anyone with an ounce of common sense, that it will improve customer perception of the brand. I don't know why they are dilly-dallying, BA know damn well that they will eventually have to reintroduce complimentary food and drinks for all if they want to rebuild their reputation.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
I think the trial is a good half-way proposition.

Mot rewards those simply wanting the cheapest flight, who are equally likely to choose FR, U2 or BA.
As part of a published benefit for Golds and Silvers I think it rewards the frequent BA flyer and encourages bronze members to progress through the tiers.

I cant see a negative to this, if it becomes a long-term thing. Id love to see the internal accounting for this, it seems unlikely Tourvest would be funding BAs marketing efforts.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 3:02 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
This goes to the heart of BA problem, the identity crisis. For example BA will already be taking thumping losses on these 39 European flights for status passengers. BA I dont believe can combine low fares and a full service premium offering.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I agree with others that whilst - once again - I very much welcome the principle of the trial, the implementation seems a little odd. Mr Hillier sends us plenty of useless emails on a regular basis, would it not make sense to send one about this explaining to people what BA are offering, on which routes, and during what dates? For one thing people might know what to expect, secondly it might just serve as good publicity whilst it is o mystery that many of us have felt that BA was showing very little love for its most frequent flyers in recent months/years. Who knows, at the margin, a few people might even have opted to choose a BA flight over a competitor where the decision was a close call between them on other grounds which is not unusual.

I'm in fact still unclear about how the trial is explained to crew themselves. Are you being told what to say and when or are you supposed to decide how to present this yourself? "Mrs x, would you like any drink today? I see that you are a Gold cardholder so as part of an Easter promotion, your drink today will be free except for Champagne. How about you Mr X? Can I offer you a complimentary drink as well"

Last edited by orbitmic; Apr 7, 2018 at 4:22 am
Old Apr 7, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by amt
Swiss just announced they were going BOB out of GVA about two weeks ago. Seems like a swoop to try and poach their customers.
you would need to loose in the head if you switch from Swiss to BA for a free cup of tea. Even if it is M&S tea!!

Originally Posted by Dave_C
Wow. So they take away all free drinks and free snacks. Then they give us back a free tea or coffee on one route, for some flights and we're meant to come flocking back in gratitude?

Pathetic.
agreed quite pathetic and too late

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Well those that receive it, be sure to show your appreciation - then maybe it might be used across more routes...
Yes feedback that its positive but also that its far removed from what there was before

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Emphasis mine.
Seriously ? They are kidding, right ?
No they will moan and gripe as they are some of the laziest crew in the skies. This move will require that they have to work. Identify those entitled and then deliver it. All the while explaining to the guy next to them that its because of status. That means effort and a far cry from waving a card as they do now.

Originally Posted by sammyg901
Something a bit awkward about giving it to certain people I think. Especially on a route like Geneva you really may as well just keep it simple and give it to everyone as it seems so petty to go to the trouble to miss out the relatively few non status members
Not at all its about recognition. Not a strong point for BA but it can be done as others have.

Originally Posted by kennynik
tea and coffee is a start, but a G&T is what we really want. The idea of silver and gold members getting a scannable voucher for a free drink is a nice idea and way not to make it awkward for passengers and crew.
No need for vouchers. the current system allows for use of Avios as a currency on presentation of Executive card. No reason why this could not continue but no avois deducted from Silver or Gold card holders. Indeed,if BA could resolve their woeful IT, there is no need to advertise the fact that anyone is getting anything for free, it could simply be a benefit of status, like fast track and free seating. A gold could get a single free alcoholic drink per sector and silver a free coffee. Not difficult and relieves the crew from any further work or having to interact with passengers more than they do now.

It not difficult, its just that BA make it difficult.......as with most aspect of travel

Last edited by binman; Apr 7, 2018 at 3:42 am Reason: power failure interrupted edit
Old Apr 7, 2018, 3:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Folks, can we try to shape this into a more instructive thread. The trial has begun and it appears to rolling out onto other routes. The real experiences shared here are being drowned out by the unfocused background noise.

Your assistance is appreciated

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old Apr 7, 2018, 4:00 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by Prospero
Folks, can we try to shape this into a more instructive thread. The trial has begun and it appears to rolling out onto other routes. The real experiences shared here are being drowned out by the unfocused background noise.

Your assistance is appreciated

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Agree, and maybe worth changing the thread title to be more generic than hot tea and GVA
Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
But here’s the thing : would it not make sense - certainly from a customer perspective (albeit maybe not for BA’s bottom line, in the short-term) - to simply make it permanent without further ado ? Is it really necessary to validate the attraction of this gesture by “conducting sampling analysis from customer scores ....” ??
If my local pub ever decided to make a similar gesture, I’m pretty sure I already know what the answer to any associated survey would be.
But it's not that simple. These initiatives have a cost. In big companies, costs require business cases. Business cases require a demonstrable ROI. Of course if you ask "sir, did you like your free drink?" you're going to get a positive answer. But that tells you nothing. What you'd have to do is demonstrate that all other things being equal this move has a positive effect. So the questions have to be the same for the 'gots' and 'didn't gets', with a clear difference in answers. I don't know this for certain, but since BA surveys still follow a clear Nunwood-esque* NPS methodology, I would imagine that (rightly or wrongly) the results of this will be based in terms of NPS, with a smattering of anecdotal feedback from customers/crew thrown in. However 'different' they want to be, big companies can usually be read like a book when it comes to survey feedback.

*disclaimer: I don't work for Nunwood, but have been in a company that used them, so know how they work.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

Confus - oh come on now, please ! Let’s get real here.

It’s a cup of tea for goodness sake. Something which was offered to everybody on the aircraft (together with a light snack/refreshments) at no charge, just a year or so ago ........ when fares were the same as they are now.

Your analysis makes it sound as though BA are wrestling with the search for a strategy to solve world poverty.

Mind you, given the pace at which things move at Waterside HQ, decisions on complimentary tea could take just as long.

rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/ All the AMEX Plat things
After a not so good flight from HEL to LHR last night, had a wonderful ET experience to Budapest this morning, BA866. Excellent crew and 2 glasses of champagne for myself and my companion. Oh and some nuts!!
Old Apr 7, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I think the trial is more confusing than anything else. I've been on flights where others have reported to be offered a free drink and I haven't been offered a free drink. I don't care but I just want to point out the inconsistency that is IMO more annoying than anything else.

It was similar when group boarding was introduced on some both not on other Flights. Even today where group boarding is more or less being done everywhere, there are still passengers and ground staff confused about the concept.

Moreover, the idea adds yet another layer of complexity to the whole BOB system. On a recent flight to BRU, it took them nearly the entire flight to charge my seat neighbour's credit card. The service was overall slow and they spend a lot of time with each passenger that tried to order something.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; VS Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by atcer28
The drink for you and your companion could also be part of a different Easter promotion just to make it more confusing. BA are giving out free drinks for Gold and Silver for them and their travel companion on selected flights over Easter.
Like everyone else - regardless of status - I was offered a drink plus crisps or biscuits in Economy LCY-FRA (CC: "we were trained to do BoB but it's been abandoned out of LCY") and a free drink, but nothing to eat, in Economy MUC-LHR "as a promotion over Easter" this week.

The CC on both sectors were "bemused" when I told them that last October AA on a 2 hr flight in Economy BDA-PHL identified me as BA Gold/OW Emerald and offered me and my wife free snacks and drinks while BA doesn't even do so for their own status pax!
sgm likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.