Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Free drinks trial for BAEC Silver and Golds on selected short haul routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free drinks trial for BAEC Silver and Golds on selected short haul routes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:21 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
The fact that they will have to deal with the grief from passengers who wonder why they have to pay but another doesn't.
How do the cabin crew on AA and AY deal with this since they similarly give free items to status holders?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:24 pm

Location: Almost exactly equally distant from LCY, LGW and LHR.
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
It won't happen, but :-

"For our executive club members, we also accept Avios".

You scan your BP (which marks you out as Silver/Gold/Sapphire/Emerald), and they charge you 0 avios for the item.

Nobody else needs to know you weren't ACTUALLY paying.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex BD*S)
Originally Posted by KARFA

How do the cabin crew on AA and AY deal with this since they similarly give free items to status holders?
From my experience they thank the passenger for their loyalty and then ask if they would want something complimentary from the bar.
This makes it somewhat obvious to other passengers that the freebie relates to the loyalty of the passenger.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Apart from your gilt-edged aura, how could they tell you were entitled to the drink? Was it just tea or coffee? And was it the BoB drinks (so with the filter cap for coffee, or a separate tea bag) or did it come like the Club Europe tea / coffee directly from the silver thermos jugs?
The aura, yes, but also the iPad that the rear-facing cabin crew had to identify people (although there was some confusion in the row behind where some people were not in their assigned seats). He was proactively offering it to eligible people and I got a BoB Coffee; they guy next to me a BoB Tea and bottle of water, with his family getting some stuff the other side of the aisle with the CC making the most expensive drinks free. Not sure if a G&T would have been on the house, but it was 10am and I didn't feel like one!

Originally Posted by atcer28
The drink for you and your companion could also be part of a different Easter promotion just to make it more confusing. BA are giving out free drinks for Gold and Silver for them and their travel companion on selected flights over Easter.
This is what I thought it was following a tweet to BA. Will see tomorrow if it is still on-going.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 1:16 am

Will this be just for silver and gold or will it also be for other OW Sapphires and Emeralds?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 1:45 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by MrMutton
The aura, yes, but also the iPad that the rear-facing cabin crew had to identify people (although there was some confusion in the row behind where some people were not in their assigned seats). He was proactively offering it to eligible people and I got a BoB Coffee; they guy next to me a BoB Tea and bottle of water, with his family getting some stuff the other side of the aisle with the CC making the most expensive drinks free. Not sure if a G&T would have been on the house, but it was 10am and I didn't feel like one!

This is what I thought it was following a tweet to BA. Will see tomorrow if it is still on-going.
Thanks for the report and keep us posted...
I think if done smartly this could turn around to be a good move... I think Economy Flex passengers (Y, B and H fares) should be given something too... easyJet does it. Those Y, B and H fares are very expensive. there is enough margin there for a free drink. And you know, when you get a free drink and a warm welcome, you might be even tempted to buy an additional snack to go with it... so win win for both parties.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
It may be a small improvement but it would be an important improvement nonetheless. Like jday above, I'd certainly appreciate if the complimentary offer included bottled still/sparkling water instead for those who prefer.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by riku2
AY have had a similar scheme for a long time. Emerald card holders get a free soft drink (although this is in addition to the free tea/coffee/juice/water that everyone gets). AY were not so mean to charge even for the most basic drinks when introducing BOB.They have the passenger list and emerald card holders are marked. If you want the drink they enter a special code on the tablets they use for collecting payment.
Emeralds can actually choose any drink with AY, including alcoholic beverages. Champagne is also included. Nice to get a free champagne on a 1h domestic ATR flight from HEL to KUO
And the free drink applies to your travel companion also.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 3:55 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BA6948
And you know, when you get a free drink and a warm welcome, you might be even tempted to buy an additional snack to go with it... so win win for both parties.
Or insert “book with them again”
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by AMBurns1512
The day I realised I could actually buy a box of these biscuits in my local supermarket was a good day.
Which supermarket?
AMBurns1512 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Originally Posted by Pack
Which supermarket?
Waitrose of course! Also seen in Whole Foods.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:29 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
BA just seem determined to annoy some customers. I personally don't drink tea or coffee (yes, I know, how weird am I ... but not actually that usual). Why not just keep it simple and offer your more loyal customers a drink of their choice?

BA Gold = Any free drink (including 1 alcoholic drink)
BA Silver = Any free non-alcoholic drink
BA Bronze = A free cup of water poured from the tap in the toilet

Personally, I feel BA should never have started charging for basic non-alcoholic drinks. They should have been free for all passengers and would have provided at least some justification for BA's claim that it is still a premium airline.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

My own view is that the BoB project from domestics and EU should never have been started in the first place.

If BA can bring back free drinks for everyone as it used to be then that is a small step to bringing back the brand reputation. Even worse case scenario, keep non alcoholic drinks free in ET for everyone and if you want an alcoholic drink then pay unless your in CE.

One small step for Alex Cruz, one giant step for the BA Brand?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by gms
BA just seem determined to annoy some customers. I personally don't drink tea or coffee (yes, I know, how weird am I ... but not actually that usual). Why not just keep it simple and offer your more loyal customers a drink of their choice?

BA Gold = Any free drink (including 1 alcoholic drink)
BA Silver = Any free non-alcoholic drink
BA Bronze = A free cup of water poured from the tap in the toilet
Can BA GGL's jump on the band wagon

BA GGL = Any free drink (including 1 alcoholic drink) plus a hot or cold Sandwich
Old Apr 3, 2018, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by florian
From my experience they thank the passenger for their loyalty and then ask if they would want something complimentary from the bar.
This makes it somewhat obvious to other passengers that the freebie relates to the loyalty of the passenger.
Elites know it’s coming, so a “Mr. Lorath, what can I get you” in AA speak means this is for free.

As oppose to an occasional CSM gold greeting along the lines of .... anything I can do to make your flight more comfortable....(is he offering me a kir royale from CW or not?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.