Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Free drinks trial for BAEC Silver and Golds on selected short haul routes

Free drinks trial for BAEC Silver and Golds on selected short haul routes

Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by godsavethepoints
from what I've heard internally, that's specifically why it was chosen. One of the highest elite yielding routes, with short flight time. If it can be done there, it can be done anywhere. Apparently crew are less than thrilled...
Why are crew less than thrilled? Because they have to work doing good or drink serving or because they oteferwalking down the aisle waving a Bob card in front of everyone?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
I flew LHR-GVA on Friday and was indeed given a free drink (it seems it one for you and one for your companion - at least it is for Gold). I was in row 10 on an A319 and was served with 50mins to go. It is definitely slower but if they could complete a full drinks run on a LHR-MAN I don’t see why this is any issue.

it is a welcome improvement in the service.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by MrMutton
I flew LHR-GVA on Friday and was indeed given a free drink (it seems it one for you and one for your companion - at least it is for Gold). I was in row 10 on an A319 and was served with 50mins to go.
Apart from your gilt-edged aura, how could they tell you were entitled to the drink? Was it just tea or coffee? And was it the BoB drinks (so with the filter cap for coffee, or a separate tea bag) or did it come like the Club Europe tea / coffee directly from the silver thermos jugs?
HIDDY likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Dave_C
Wow. So they take away all free drinks and free snacks. Then they give us back a free tea or coffee on one route, for some flights and we're meant to come flocking back in gratitude?

Pathetic.
I agree with this.

If this should be rolled out on all shorthaul routes it might take a while though (cf. the new CW catering and bedding...).
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by florens
I agree with this.

If this should be rolled out on all shorthaul routes it might take a while though (cf. the new CW catering and bedding...).
I actually think they missed a trick. Shouldn't they have invited all bloggers and like to another media stunt, so Alex Cruz could announce that he's decided to invest a vast amount of money into improving the BA experience. That usually works, doesn't it!?

While this is a good move, it will do nothing to improve their brand reputation for the vast majority of travellers.
Dave_C likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Virgin Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MrMutton
I flew LHR-GVA on Friday and was indeed given a free drink (it seems it one for you and one for your companion - at least it is for Gold). I was in row 10 on an A319 and was served with 50mins to go. It is definitely slower but if they could complete a full drinks run on a LHR-MAN I don’t see why this is any issue.

it is a welcome improvement in the service.
The drink for you and your companion could also be part of a different Easter promotion just to make it more confusing. BA are giving out free drinks for Gold and Silver for them and their travel companion on selected flights over Easter.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Apart from your gilt-edged aura, how could they tell you were entitled to the drink? Was it just tea or coffee? And was it the BoB drinks (so with the filter cap for coffee, or a separate tea bag) or did it come like the Club Europe tea / coffee directly from the silver thermos jugs?
Yes that's what I would like to know.

Could be confusing for everyone if they're dishing out the BOB coffee and tea.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:09 am

The trial will fail when Snr Cruz finds out they dished out a free coffee to the wrong person
Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:20 am

Something a bit awkward about giving it to certain people I think. Especially on a route like Geneva you really may as well just keep it simple and give it to everyone as it seems so petty to go to the trouble to miss out the relatively few non status members
Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:33 am

At the BA event in Tel Aviv this fall, Cruz mentioned that they were looking at providing some sort of free offering to status passengers travelling short-haul in economy. He was well aware that oneworld partners treated BA status travellers down the back better than BA. Presumably this stems from that review.

Curious if this also extends to oneworld Emerald/Sapphire members?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: loyalty?! BA Gold, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by makin'miles
At the BA event in Tel Aviv this fall, Cruz mentioned that they were looking at providing some sort of free offering to status passengers travelling short-haul in economy. He was well aware that oneworld partners treated BA status travellers down the back better than BA. Presumably this stems from that review.

Curious if this also extends to oneworld Emerald/Sapphire members?
I think it's an IT related thing. BA Gold's code into AA's iPads as Exec Platinum. I love hearing "thank you for your loyalty" on AA flights haha. If BA went for an easy tech grab, they could use the same software which could potentially yield the same result. Seems fair enough.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by riku2
AY have had a similar scheme for a long time. Emerald card holders get a free soft drink (although this is in addition to the free tea/coffee/juice/water that everyone gets). AY were not so mean to charge even for the most basic drinks when introducing BOB.They have the passenger list and emerald card holders are marked. If you want the drink they enter a special code on the tablets they use for collecting payment.
SAS also, I know it's *A but shows how lame BA's elite benefit is...
  • Diamond Benefits: Free drinks in SAS Go (on flights where we offer onboard sales from our menu in SAS Go), except alcoholic beverages on domestic flights. This includes 1 travel companion or max 4 family members sitting with you.
https://www.flysas.com/en/uk/eurobon...evels/diamond/
Old Apr 2, 2018, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
This reminds me of the scene in Oliver! "Please Sir, I want some more..."

What a joke.
Skipcool3 and hugolover like this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
No such offer to me (GGL) or the Mrs (Gold) on BA727 from GVA to LHR today. In fact, no recognition for either of us from a very short-tempered looking Purser. We paid for our waters and teas
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex BD*S)
Let's hope this trial is successful and they roll it out on other routes like the AMS one. While it's not pre-BOB, it's definitely better than what they offer today, nothing.

Kinda reminds of what BMI used to offer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.