FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Geneva BA Lounge access? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1901830-geneva-ba-lounge-access.html)

aprilscot Apr 1, 2018 11:25 pm

Geneva BA Lounge access?

How long before my flight will I be able to get into the lounge?
I am on a club europe ticket and expect to arrive at the airport around 11am but my flight isn't until 5:30pm.

Steve_ZA Apr 2, 2018 12:50 am

I’m sure someone else will confirm shortly but based on my experiences with the staff there, early check in and lounge access will not be possible. The lounge isn’t one that I would want to spend much time in anyway.

corporate-wage-slave Apr 2, 2018 12:53 am

They tend to look to a 2 or 3 hour time window at GVA, however the key determinant is the number of status / CE passengers expected that particular day so if you are there on a quiet day (e.g. an August Saturday) then they would probably be OK with a longer visit.

If you had that much spare time, given that the centre of Geneva is only minutes away on an efficient train link, it may be more enjoyable to head into town.

subject2load Apr 2, 2018 1:13 am

Several hours stuck in an airport lounge (any lounge) ; or several hours spent in one of Europe’s most attractive lake-side cities, including a trip or two on the Mouettes. Hmm ...... tough call :cool:

morges1 Apr 2, 2018 1:48 am

The lounge is open all day from 0600ish for the early LHR (there also used to be an early LCY), so that isn't a problem. But 6 hours would be crazy in any lounge in Europe. Wander round the old town or take a mouette as suggested above. If you want to use the lounge get there for about 1615 since they call flights early in GVA.
PS Couldn't you take BA727 at 1155?

dnajockey Apr 2, 2018 1:49 am

Depends if the ski season is over and how many goldies are lurking

aprilscot Apr 2, 2018 2:12 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 29592333)
If you had that much spare time, given that the centre of Geneva is only minutes away on an efficient train link, it may be more enjoyable to head into town.

Would I be able to check in my bags early at 11am?

LondonElite Apr 2, 2018 2:12 am

That is not a lounge where I'd want to spend more than an hour. There is no view, the food is very average, and the toilets are public. In your case I would head into town for a lunch and a stroll along the lake.

aprilscot Apr 2, 2018 2:15 am

Originally Posted by morges1 (Post 29592425)
The lounge is open all day from 0600ish for the early LHR (there also used to be an early LCY), so that isn't a problem. But 6 hours would be crazy in any lounge in Europe. Wander round the old town or take a mouette as suggested above. If you want to use the lounge get there for about 1615 since they call flights early in GVA.
PS Couldn't you take BA727 at 1155?

The 1155 flight would be great but I used Avios and there is no availability on the earlier flight.

thebigben Apr 2, 2018 2:25 am

Originally Posted by aprilscot (Post 29592479)

Unlikely, they are really annoying in GVA, in true French fashion (although I'm not sure if the Swiss culture is any better in terms of flexibility). I'd love to see you succeed, then that means I can insist more thoroughly next time I try.

I don't mind the GVA lounge as it has comfy chairs, although some may disagree. (And the toilets are indeed "public" but it's basically just shared between the lounges) Don't expect to put together a proper lunch together, though. However, priority pass gives you access to other decent lounges. I haven't tried any of them yet but I hear people generally like the Swiss lounge.

The train station has lockers, but they are not free (8 francs per bag for 24 hours). You can also pay 20 francs per bag or so in Switzerland to get your bags shipped to the airport for you from any other main city's train station.

If you want a nice place to sit down and get a drink, for about the price of a Starbucks at the airport (8 francs, I still am not over this), you can go to the Grand Hotel Kempinski in Geneva, and have tea (they're great!) or coffee (haven't tried) from their second floor lounge / bar with a stunning view on the lake. For eats... well, I only knew things that were appropriate for broke students so I can't help much.

corporate-wage-slave Apr 2, 2018 2:30 am

Originally Posted by aprilscot (Post 29592479)

I also doubt it. Is there anything in Manage My Booking under Check-in / other ways to check-in? I would expect it to be 2 or 3 hours beforehand there.

thebigben Apr 2, 2018 2:40 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 29592503)
I also doubt it. Is there anything in Manage My Booking under Check-in / other ways to check-in? I would expect it to be 2 or 3 hours beforehand there.

I can confirm I have been told 3 hours by check-in staff, even when flying CE.

LondonElite Apr 2, 2018 2:56 am

What would I do in your situation?

I like the Chinese restaurant on quai de Mont Blanc. I think it's called Hung Wan. Nothing fancy. Then I'd walk around to the Jet d'Eau, or north to the Park Perle de Lac. Then stroll back and have a few drinks at the President Wilson bar. Then taxi to airport.

ThatT1Feeling Apr 2, 2018 5:24 am

You should always be prepared for life to be a bit difficult at GVA if you arrive more than 3 hours before your flight - be that checking in, dropping bags or entering the lounge, whatever class of travel or version of shiny card. You may be luckier if things are quiet and you're travelling HBO with a mobile BP, but rules are very much rules there in my experience.

aprilscot Apr 2, 2018 6:22 am

Thanks, for all the information.
Doesn't look like my options are very good at all. Much as I'd like to spend a few hours in the city, unless I can find somewhere to park my ski bag that's not going to happen.
Guess I'll just have to wait it out landside for a while.